User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Strange noise. Cam chain?

So I have what sounds like a loose cam chain. I have experienced a similar sound on some of my sport bikes in the past and it was the cam chain tension. I had it to the dealer and of course they said "everything sounds normal". But I think it sounds excessive. The bike has 11k on it and I just had the dealer perform the 12k service. Anyone have any ideas?

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 515
Yes it could be the cam chain. On my 2010 some days it seemed louder than others. when I was getting toward 30k miles it seemed noisier
after the 30k mile service I have not noticed it. Maybe I've just gotten used to it. did not think to ask the dealer if they did anything with the cam chain during that service.

I know this is not much help....but the noise did not cause me any real problems
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Does anyone have a way of diagnosing a loose cam chain and/or valve noise? I am in a similar boat... I had taken mine to the dealer 6k miles ago for a valve adjustment and I don't really believe them when they said it was done... still sounds the same.

I'm thinking of diving in myself and looking at the chain and valve shims. I know there is a good page for valve shim replacement here but I'm not aware of information on the chain. Tips?
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
There are a lot of noises that the engine can make. Clutch plates rattle when in neutral and the lever out. Fuel injectors can make a tapping noise as they open and close. Not on mine, but chain rattle for a few seconds on start up seems to be common place. The tensioner is spring/oil pressurised and it takes that long to build up oil pressure. Loose valves can make a tapping noise, similar to the injectors, though these on the bike seem to hold their clearances a long time.

The CD repair manual does talk about a measuring device that replaces the tensioner and is screwed against the chain to determine deflection, to see it it is within specs. I seem to recall seeing it in a drawing. Available only to the dealer.

Joel has stated there is no means of determining chain stretch without getting into the engine. I have heard chain rattle on other bikes and there is no mistaking it on them. It sounds like a chain being dragged over a metal grate.

Most of those noises go away when the engine warms or is in motion. If you are still hearing something then it might be chain rattle. Either a stretched chain or a bad chain tensioner. I would not think a dealer would consider it normal and send you on your way.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 01:06 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote