ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Why aren't you on your dream ride right now?
Money - need to save up more money before I leave 102 36.04%
Time - I can't take time off from work/life 183 64.66%
Experience - I don't feel ready yet/need to ride more 17 6.01%
Injury - I'm currently injured 9 3.18%
Other 39 13.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
nateberkopec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Question What's stopping you?

What's stopping you from taking that dream motorcycle trip? Could be the TAT, Panamerican, Alaska, RTW, whatever. What's stopping you from getting out there right now and doing it?

Honest question and I'm sort of curious about the answers. I'm a young guy with a decent career, which colors my answer somewhat, but there a lot of guys on here with different answers I know. So let's hear it!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,944
my wife and I came very close to selling everything we owned and leaving on the bike to take a few years to travel the world. We had just hosted a couple from Britain via the Tent Space Thread and they had been traveling the world for two years......we wanted in. They had such an amazing journey and their lives we enriched with the experience. Plus they didnt have to do dishes and stuff all the time.

Mind you this was during the time when we were trying to have a baby. Four years into trying to have a baby - no baby so the wife and I took a month long trip to Baja to figure out what we wanted to do and during that trip (between bouts with the runs) my wife got pregnant.
That officially puts off our world trip about 20 years.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Tim_Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Nothing. All of your poll options are excuses. Common limitations people put on themselves. If you want to do something, you need to find a way to do it!

I'm also a young guy with a good career and a loving wife. Since 2012 I have made it a point to do at least one multi-day mototrip a year. Whether that's taking advantage of a long weekend to ride the Dragon, or taking three weeks off work (without pay) to ride from the Atlantic to the Pacific and back.

It's easy enough to put aside some money each paycheck into an 'Adventure Fund'. Put it into your budget and make it happen.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 552
Other

I said Other, I have family obligations even though I'm in good health and kids are grown.

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Nothing. All of your poll options are excuses. Common limitations people put on themselves. If you want to do something, you need to find a way to do it!

I'm also a young guy with a good career and a loving wife. Since 2012 I have made it a point to do at least one multi-day mototrip a year. Whether that's taking advantage of a long weekend to ride the Dragon, or taking three weeks off work (without pay) to ride from the Atlantic to the Pacific and back.

It's easy enough to put aside some money each paycheck into an 'Adventure Fund'. Put it into your budget and make it happen.
Excuses or not, it's not so easy to get time off work for everyone. I'm not talking a long weekend or even an entire week off. Tat is a month. RTW is months to years. Sure I could quit my job, sell everything and just leave (i'm youngish with no wife or kids) I just........

awhhh F-it, I'm putting in my notice today
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Did it last year, haven't thought of a new Dream Trip yet

Edit: Going to do the Colorado BDR in September, so I guess that counts as a dream trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateberkopec View Post
What's stopping you from getting out there right now and doing it?
Probably under snow, and it's not September yet.

OrangeYZ screwed with this post 04-22-2015 at 11:00 AM
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 444
I waited too long and my health failed. Four heart attacks, COPD and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was the picture of health and had no excuses to not go when I was 50, by the time I was 51 the downward spiral had started. Now at 63 it is no longer an option. Now I have to do my motorcycle traveling via reading ride reports and enjoying the rides that the rest of you are doing. I can still ride local on good days but that is it. Think about me when you are finding reasons not to go.

Doug
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 241
Other. At the moment there aren't any bikes I'd prefer over what I have to the point that I think it would be worth switching. I like what I've got.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
Tim_Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
Other. At the moment there aren't any bikes I'd prefer over what I have to the point that I think it would be worth switching. I like what I've got.
The thread is about dream travel trips, not dream motorcycles.

But I am glad you have found moto-nirvana.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 241
Ah, I should pay more attention! In that case -- several of the above.

(and moto-nirvana is a good place to hang out!)

abnslr screwed with this post 04-22-2015 at 11:16 AM
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,724
I ride a pretty fair amount and am planning a two week ride out west soon. Still, if I had the time I'd be doing some longer trips as well as more shorter trips. If I quit my job I'd have the time but not the money.

I can't really complain. I ride nearly every day and enjoy it. I have ridden in all but 8 states. I ride more than most people I know. I have never had as much time to ride as I would have liked to but then who out there has everything they want?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
don't know where I want to go...
For a couple years I wanted to see what deals gap was about. I set up my old bike for a trip then three weeks before my trip I bought a new bike, so i took it. It was an awesome trip, solo for five days, just doing my own pace and not knowing where I was was gonna stay except for one night. i packed too much stuff, but had fun. just riding down and saying let see where this road goes, the sucky part was staying at my aunts condo in myrtle beach during bike week.......

I've explored most of my state, except the eastern panhandle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
I waited too long and my health failed. Four heart attacks, COPD and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was the picture of health and had no excuses to not go when I was 50, by the time I was 51 the downward spiral had started. Now at 63 it is no longer an option. Now I have to do my motorcycle traveling via reading ride reports and enjoying the rides that the rest of you are doing. I can still ride local on good days but that is it. Think about me when you are finding reasons not to go.

Doug
damn....
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
baldman1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
No excuses for me I will be going through Central America in June.
baldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,395
I'd say there needs to be another category to choose from, a brutally honest one that some many choose to admit or not, FEAR.

We took off a year to live in Mexico (trailered my bike and rode most days) and it was amazing and hard as hell at times. Most people said don't do it (their fears) and we needed to rise above and live a dream. After a year we ran out of $ and came back to the US to work again. It was worth every penny, but the re-entry into US life is a bitch.

Fast forward, and we have a daughter in 1st grade. That is a factor but not a deal breaker at all. I checked time on that list (but $ is a factor too). My wife has years to go before she collects a Colorado pension plan. She works in education. She has summers off but I am very busy with tours in the summer. We will drive to and live in Mexico for a month this summer, however. She doesn't ride, yet. If it was just us then I'd take her on the back of a bike. With 3 we need to figure out some things. I thought about a hack, but I love to lean. I'm now leaning towards a mid-size scoot for her & my daughter on the back with me. We may just end up with a small RV and a bike on the bike. There is the experience piece for our group.

After 6 years time she collects her $ and I work summer and fall only and we are on the move. There is the time. We will figure out our daughters schooling as it happens.

We have rental property which we are working to own outright...that will provide even more of the $ part of the equation. Fear never stopped us and we are healthy. I still take plenty of week long "dream trips".

That's my story. I'd love to hear some "other" answers.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 04-22-2015 at 12:28 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
adam728
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Time.

Kid's are 2 and 4, I'd say at best I could take off a few days or even a week for a trip without feeling to guilty or catching too much grief from the wife. The biggest issue was travel for work. Not that I couldn't plan around it, but what kind of dad spends half his time overseas and then doesn't spend time with his family when home?
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote