User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
preacherman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Hearing damage?

Last Sunday I decided to go on a 400 mile loop through Big Bend country for the day. I had a great day but somewhere around the 5 hour mark into a 7 hour ride I got blasted with a 30+ mile an hour headwind. Even though I had ear plugs in driving at 65-70mph into the headwind left me dealing with major wind noise for several hours. I didn't think much about it at the time because I was so busy fighting the wind and, I had ear plugs in. I was wearing a afx dual sport helmet with the shield down.

But this week my ears won't stop ringing. It's driving me nuts. Could I have done permeant damage? I mean, I'm pretty careful about riding with ear plugs. I only started riding on the highway this year and I always wear plugs on the highway so it's not like I have had long term exposure. It was just one day that was unbearably loud. But now I'm kind of worried. Will this go away?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Buliwyf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
You can pour glue in your ears and still get hearing damage. Sadly, sound can travel right through your skull. Tap on the top of your head. Another reason why it's best to spend extra for better helmets. I like the HJC RPHA10 and Winchester brand orange foam ear plugs best right now.

Extended vibration, heat stroke, and poor hydration can also cause excessive tinnitus without damaging your hearing. Ear wax, high blood pressure, even stress.

Meds can cause it:
Antibiotics, including polymyxin B, erythromycin, vancomycin and neomycin
Cancer medications, including mechlorethamine and vincristine
Water pills (diuretics), such as bumetanide, ethacrynic acid or furosemide
Quinine medications used for malaria or other health conditions
Certain antidepressants may worsen tinnitus
Aspirin taken in uncommonly high doses (usually 12 or more a day)

Blood flow is a huge one. If you can lose weight or get in better shape, it'll help a lot.

Get off nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine. Sometimes I drink too much water when outdoors. Side effect,salt cravings. Too much salt and it's ring ring city. Every time, like clock work.

Buliwyf screwed with this post 04-24-2015 at 09:25 PM
Buliwyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 836
You are right to be concerned about hearing loss from pro-longed exposure to the wind noise when riding at speed.

Wish I knew at 15 what I now know at 50 about hearing loss. (Speak up sonny, I can't hear you ).

I would try some different plugs.

What you think are working well, might in reality be poor performers.

And (IMHO), asking others for recommendations is like asking about tyres and oil.

But since you asked I use these: http://earplugsonline.com/

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
oldtrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Yup... Custom earplugs will help.

You may have other issues though with the ringing. I would get checked out.

OT
Old 04-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 215
I can't imagine a few hours of wind noise will cause PERMANENT hearing damage. It's not enough decibels and not enough time of exposure, IMHO.

I spent 25 years riding without ear plugs. That's enough. A single day? With ear plugs in? I seriously doubt it.

I can call my doctor and ask a simple question, without having to see her or pay a dime. Usually get an answer within an hour. Ask your doctor if in doubt.

As for the ringing, my ears have rung for so long I don't even notice it anymore

About 10 years ago I had a major high voltage arc flash occur inches away from my ears. Had on all the PPE except ear plugs, had no reason to be wearing them, it was a strange industrial accidental dead short phase to phase to phase.

Now THAT will damage ears. Plus 25 years of riding NOTGATT (none of the gear all the time). No helmet laws right across the river, where I grew up. And shooting lots of guns with my dad back in the day. And some Ozzy concerts.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #6
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
Last Sunday I decided to go on a 400 mile loop through Big Bend country for the day. I had a great day but somewhere around the 5 hour mark into a 7 hour ride I got blasted with a 30+ mile an hour headwind. Even though I had ear plugs in driving at 65-70mph into the headwind left me dealing with major wind noise for several hours. I didn't think much about it at the time because I was so busy fighting the wind and, I had ear plugs in. I was wearing a afx dual sport helmet with the shield down.

But this week my ears won't stop ringing. It's driving me nuts. Could I have done permeant damage? I mean, I'm pretty careful about riding with ear plugs. I only started riding on the highway this year and I always wear plugs on the highway so it's not like I have had long term exposure. It was just one day that was unbearably loud. But now I'm kind of worried. Will this go away?
I have tinnitus in my left ear from a 2005 trip. Long day with a headwind behind a windshield that wasn't real quiet.

It'll either go away, or you'll get used to it.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #7
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,225
Get earplugs, that are custom-made made out of silicon(?), not cheap but they΄re comfortable, and will keep noise off from your ears. Wear them. Invest on a good, quiet helmet as well. Your bike΄s wind management also affects noise levels on your ears.

Hearing loss can very easily be a real issue riding motorcycles.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:35 AM   #8
motif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
consider riding only in windless days.
motif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #9
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
What?

Speak up, Sonny boy!
Old 04-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Check out this thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059171

It has some very insightful comments on earplugs. The gist is that can't just stick something in your ears and be done with it. I went for years with earplugs before I figured out I was doing it wrong. What a difference when you do it right!

In my experience, there is no helmet wind roar that can't be overcome with proper earplugs, used properly.

As for damage? Yeah, you probably lost some hearing capability. Any loud noise causes that. It's a cumulative thing. You pay later in life for all those mistakes you made when you were younger. The chances are that your ringing will go away (if not, don't hesitate to get it checked), but you need to stop adding to the pile of mistakes.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #11
Sniperx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
There is some medical hope in the near future. In Australia they found a drug that retries the hair follicles inside the cochlea. It's still in early testing but there's hope.

Do you have the afx 41? If so the designers thought it would be awesome to put 2 little vents on either side of the helmet by your jawbone...they dump into the helmet right by your ear. They work great for cooling the back of your neck but funnel a whole lot of noise in and they didn't include any shutters for these. I'm thinking of switching to their new modular helmet.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
motif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
There is some medical hope in the near future. .
no need for medical drugs, it is enough to produce a noise in a helmet audio system exactly opposite in phase as wind noise hence they both will be neutralized.
motif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 215
I started wearing Hearos Xtreme about 5 years ago, pretty comfy and pretty quiet, wear them anytime above 45mph these days.

I think I bought the last ones off the shelf at Target.

http://www.wwbw.com/Hearos-Xtreme-Ear-Plugs-7-Pairs-421222-i1134133.wwbw?country=us&currency=usd&source=TWWRWXGP&gclid=CPmzyrP6kcUCFQwzaQodWHcAcg&kwid=productads-plaid^51320962143-sku^421222@ADL4WWBW-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^65795571621
Old 04-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
wild
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
question to all those guys who actually rode 25 years or so without earplugs or even without helmet - did you lose your hearing or did your hearing deteriorated significantly? because somehow I'm not convinced the noise alone is the only factor.
wild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:13 PM   #15
GETTHUMPER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Question Say what??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild View Post
question to all those guys who actually rode 25 years or so without earplugs or even without helmet - did you lose your hearing or did your hearing deteriorated significantly? because somehow I'm not convinced the noise alone is the only factor.
I started riding in the mid 70's out here in California, we did not have a helmet law back then, earplugs???didn't even know there were such things,,,,,,,,,needless to say,,,,,,I have chronic tinnitus, some days worse than others,but constant background noise every waking moment, some times it is like static from an old transistor radio, sometimes it is more like an electronic tone, this is when I notice that I experience Tonal loss at certain frequencies, in other words, some sounds at certain frequencies get completely lost in the background noise.
Just sharing since you asked,
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote