User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,050
Great German road sign

It translates to "Death lurks here!" and was right before a wonderful batch of twisties south of Essen, Germany.

Who else has cool or interesting moto-related road signs to post?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
D R
----

Oddometer: 471
Have you tried looking here?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182457
Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post

And where, among the 385 pages of that thread, should the OP begin the picture-quest?...

And does das OP have a better-focused version of it?.

Neat sign, regardless.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Search was in vain, as the search engine was not returning results or even working earlier.

Feel free to request a merge with that thread. Whatever.

Google maps has a good pic...
Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
On a completely separate topic, how does the BMW thumper work for you on the Autobahn? After losing my F650GS twin to a VW I'm looking for a follow-on, and the G is a possibility -- but I need something good for long-distance pavement as well as commuting in the city.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
D R
----

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
And where, among the 385 pages of that thread, should the OP begin the picture-quest?...

And does das OP have a better-focused version of it?.

Neat sign, regardless.

Considering the OP asked......

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
.... I simply pointed him to the pre-existing thread. Since he was asking for "cool or interesting moto-related road signs" in general, I recommend he start with page 01.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Ok, guys and gals: no fighting in the house! So, let's make this a thread on cute moto-related European signs since the thread suggested by D_R is very much US/CAN-centric.

It's off-season in my place (weather is still ride-able, but I already ripped all my bikes apart for some big service), so I am getting itchy with moto version of cabin fever.

To one-up atomicalex, this is a very common sign I always enjoy (and ponder) when in Germany.

It means: Give Your Guardian Angel a Chance.

(I could not find a shot in my files; image above is linked from Schmeissfliege. That's an interesting little site, BTW. If bored, check out their page devoted to descriptions of Alpine passes - see how many you did yourself.)

Enjoy. Robert.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 02:48 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

More.

OK, there is another one that I see quite often; actually, a whole series in an anti-speeding campaign.
There is typically a graphic of a motorcyclist, sometimes fallen, with the words "Rasen ist out", meaning Racing (Speeding) is Out.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate any "Rasen ist out" image on the Interwebs without a restricted copyright.

So, instead, here is another anti-speeding billboard: Speeders are So Sexy. It's linked from this forum. I vaguely remember seeing it myself, but I think it was in a print campaign.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 08:08 AM
Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
It translates to "Death lurks here!" and was right before a wonderful batch of twisties south of Essen, Germany.

I love the sign! But the second thing I noticed is that your plate is missing the usual 04/10 I see on so many German bikes. Hooray for year-round riders!
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
Ok, guys and gals: no fighting in the house! So, let's make this a thread on cute moto-related European signs since the thread suggested by D_R is very much US/CAN-centric.

It's off-season in my place (weather is still ride-able, but I already ripped all my bikes apart for some big service), so I am getting itchy with moto version of cabin fever.

To one-up atomicalex, this is a very common sign I always enjoy (and ponder) when in Germany.

It means: Give Your Guardian Angel a Chance.

(I could not find a shot in my files; image above is linked from Schmeissfliege. That's an interesting little site, BTW. If bored, check out their page devoted to descriptions of Alpine passes - see how many you did yourself.)

Enjoy. Robert.
What are the big silos used for?.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
On a completely separate topic, how does the BMW thumper work for you on the Autobahn? After losing my F650GS twin to a VW I'm looking for a follow-on, and the G is a possibility -- but I need something good for long-distance pavement as well as commuting in the city.
About 140kph (85mph) is the top useful speed. It can go higher, but it gets a bit windy. I have the Dakar winddeflector, but it doesn't do much. I also only weigh about 130#. For me, it's a perfect "one" bike - sure lots of other bikes would be better, but I only have space for one right now, so it has to be an Allerkönner - like a Swiss Army Knife. And it is!

I've see the guardian angel ones - I think in the Eifel. Next time I am there, I will try to grab more pics. Where is the anti-racing campaign going on? Not in NRW, we are still racing each other up here.

Silos are probably sand storage for winter months. There seems to be a little pull-off there for a truck to load up.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,602
What wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

--Bill
Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... I've see the guardian angel ones - I think in the Eifel. Next time I am there, I will try to grab more pics. Where is the anti-racing campaign going on? Not in NRW, we are still racing each other up here....
I am not sure where I saw the Rasen Ist Out signs. Maybe in Hessen? Rheinland?

I was trying to link a picture into this thread, but all I could find was locked or copyrighted images.

Best I could find is below, from this photo-sharing site:

More detail of the sign is visible here. And a version with a guy hugging his fallen bike (how else would you describe it?) is here.

For those reading this post in the States: reckless speeding by motorcyclists in Germany is akin to loud pipes stateside. It's fun for the perpetrators, but pisses off the general public to no end, really bad PR for our sport.

In the States and in Canada, loud pipes are responsible for motos being banned in some municipalities and/or for special enforcement, including sound level metering. In Germany, speeding resulted in several interesting roads being closed to bikes, at least on weekends. At least one road - I was just reading about that - has a passing ban only for bikes. You can still pass in a car! What an insult, isn't it?

Robert.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 08:23 AM
Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,797

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,797

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is online now   Reply With Quote