Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #241
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,713
Laugh Yamaha TX750's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
They were not especially rare at the time. ... but they were fragile, hence there are not many around now. Supposedly very nice when they run well. Fortunately Yamaha did not give up on the "big" parallel twin, hence we got the TDM850 and it's progeny, and now the Super Tenere.

They were actually pretty good bikes at the time. A bit heavy for a twin, but incredibly smooth thanks to the industry's first application of a counterbalancer system...

Of course, it would have helped that first year if Yamaha had thought to put an adjuster on the counterbalancer drive chain!

Yamaha correct the issue, but by then it was too late. Here's a snippet of information on 'em if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TX750

But if you thought the TX750 was a bit of a problem child you should have met its little brother, the TX500 twin...

It had a *FIVE* piece head (sort of in layers, top to bottom), and sprung more oil leaks than most British bikes!

They were pretty and sounded good, though! It died a quick and quiet death, too, just like the TX750.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #242
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Fzr 400 with a built rz350 engine. It was too much fun.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #243
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,839
Another entry..........

While a ZX11 in and of itself isn't very rare or unusual, one like mine is........

'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #244
MotoMarkus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
These are not really on par with the other beautiful bikes here, but here goes.

1989 Honda Transalp just slightly modified. I still have this one.

Marc
I edited your post a bit.
That is a very nice Transalp, yes sir, very nice indeed
MotoMarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #245
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Here's a shot of my weird old scooters, tucked away for the winter.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #246
Valimagdon
Scooter Boy

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Here's a shot of my weird old scooters, tucked away for the winter.

PhilB
I see a GS, a Heinkel. and a Bella. Verry nice. I need to get a pic of my Rabbit up here.

EDIT: Oh, haha, I didn't even read your sig line. I guess that Bella is actually a Maicoletta?
--HC
Valimagdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #247
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,887
I've had a lot fun bikes over the years, some rare, others not so much. Bought this one new and in a fit of weakness sold it to a fellow in Japan in the late 90's. Should have kept it !

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #248
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
Bought this one new and in a fit of weakness sold it to a fellow in Japan in the late 90's. Should have kept it !
Could you be a bit more specific as to what "a fit of weakness" means?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #249
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Could you be a bit more specific as to what "a fit of weakness" means?
Weakness or stupidity or self preservation ?
I rode that bike a lot, and rode it hard. Spun the crank in it after 20K miles.
It sat disassembled for a number of years as I had other bikes and interests. Once I decided to put it back together I went down the path of no return. Crank went to Falicon, Yoshimura was called for 1103 kit and Mt Everest cams. Stainless valves, new springs, porting, coils, etc etc etc.
Finally back together it was a "MONSTER" and I still had a heavy right wrist. Those two things don't go together too well on a flexi-frame bike with ancient brakes and suspension. After one particularly spirited ride up to Deal's gap and back I decided I was going to end up in the hospital (more likely) or jail (also very likely). So the decision was made to sell it and move on to other things.
I had made contact with a fellow in Japan that really wanted the bike, and he was willing to pay for it, and pay the shipping.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #250
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,318
Quote:
I decided I was going to end up in the hospital (more likely) or jail (also very likely).
Alright, we can accept that answer. I was afraid it was another one of those stories where the first (now ex) wife told you to sell it so you did. Too bad you couldn't have dug deeper for some self-control. What a shame to have bought it in the crate to just let it go later. It's not often that you get to establish history with something that special, right from the delivery crate.

I have one bike that nobody's hands have touched it since it left the factory (I uncrated it). It's been in pieces for twelve years for similar reasons (finally got all the parts...reassemble when the weather warms up). People just don't understand when they suggest that since I haven't ridden it in so long, I should sell it. I reply that it's not an option...that's a womb-to-tomb bike, it's mine, I'm not selling it....ever.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #251
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
... I went down the path of no return. Crank went to Falicon, Yoshimura was called for 1103 kit and Mt Everest cams. Stainless valves, new springs, porting, coils, etc etc etc. Finally back together it was a "MONSTER" and I still had a heavy right wrist.

Mike

That's funny- my name is Mike, and in the late70's when your Eddie Lawson came out I was working at, and sponsored by, a Kawasaki dealer. I did a lot of the stuff you did, 1205cc kit, giant smoothbore Mikunis, high lift cams, ported and polished the head, Falicon did my crank, stainless steel Pro-Flow valves, shim-under buckets, etc etc etc..... Plus I had wider tires, ATK swingarm, and other handling goodies, and a Magura quarter-turn throttle adapted off my YZ400. Was my daily rider, I roadraced it, and put a wheelie bar on it and dragraced it. Averaged 10.2 to 10.5, on a track that had never had a good cleaning and had a 12 foot uphill rise into an average 20mph wind.
About that time, Cycle World (?) had a two part series on recreating the ELR, and after the Stage One article came out, several of my coworkers pointed out that I had done all that and more. When the Stage Two article came out, it was a close tie.
Never dyno'd it, but did get clocked at 151.2mph late one night. Damn thing was HUGE fun, and very dangerous. About the time I graduated from college and moved out of state, it swallowed a valve. I sold it to a friend.

I'm amazed I lived long enough to have health problems, lol.

[/thread hijack]

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #252
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,663
After seeing some of the rarities here I'm almost embarrassed to comment that I owned a '92 TDM 850.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #253
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Alright, we can accept that answer. It's not often that you get to establish history with something that special, right from the delivery crate.
Crate pictures are actually when I packed it up to go back to Japan.

I was at the dealer when it was put together, also got to start it and have the first ride.

Mike
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #254
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
That's funny- my name is Mike, and in the late70's when your Eddie Lawson came out I was working at, and sponsored by, a Kawasaki dealer. I did a lot of the stuff you did, 1205cc kit, giant smoothbore Mikunis, high lift cams, ported and polished the head, Falicon did my crank, stainless steel Pro-Flow valves, shim-under buckets, etc etc etc..... Plus I had wider tires, ATK swingarm, and other handling goodies, and a Magura quarter-turn throttle adapted off my YZ400. Was my daily rider, I roadraced it, and put a wheelie bar on it and dragraced it. Averaged 10.2 to 10.5, on a track that had never had a good cleaning and had a 12 foot uphill rise into an average 20mph wind.
About that time, Cycle World (?) had a two part series on recreating the ELR, and after the Stage One article came out, several of my coworkers pointed out that I had done all that and more. When the Stage Two article came out, it was a close tie.
Never dyno'd it, but did get clocked at 151.2mph late one night. Damn thing was HUGE fun, and very dangerous. About the time I graduated from college and moved out of state, it swallowed a valve. I sold it to a friend.

I'm amazed I lived long enough to have health problems, lol.

[/thread hijack]

1911fan
It's funny, used to be a man had to pour a ton of money into a liter bike to make it go fast. Today's 600's will pretty much run circles around it right out of the box....they also stop and handle well.

I had a 1977 GS750 prior to the ELR, did the yosh 850 kit with mild cam, valves etc. It was a lot more street able than the Kaw.

It's good to still be around to share stories.

Mike
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #255
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,406
I just saw an ELR in the flesh this morning. I was stunned - it's literally been years since I saw one last. We traded stories about going fast on early '80s superbikes, you know, the one with the hinge in the middle that shows up at about 130...
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote