ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,569
9 Day Trip From Los Angeles to???

I'm posting this here instead of trip planning since I figure many of you take trips out of LA.

I'm new to this coast and will have 9 days off to travel around on my Scrambler anytime from late August-October. I've never explored west of the Mississippi...I think there are plenty of routes to take with 9 days off averaging 250-300 miles a day, mostly camping, I'm just not sure what to choose. Taking some days slower than others I'd guess around 2,000ish in total.

If I go to the Rockies, what's a scenic, non-highway route to take? Should I hoof it there and spend the middle of my trip there?

Is 395 fuggedabatit hot Aug-Oct heading north? Is it scenic?

Good routes to Yosemite?

So if you were me, and were doing a street adventure with minimum dirt and camping, leaving from LA, where would you go? Also, if you like to get up at dawn, ride all day, find a place to camp and drink some brews for a week....want to come?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
moosehog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I'd wind my way up through the Sierras in eastern CA, hit YNP, then Tahoe, then up 89 toward Lake Almanor and up to Oregon. Somewhere around Portland, head to the coast, then follow the coastline all the way down Hwy 1 back to LA. This route would have a ton of scenic areas, forests and twisties.
moosehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
Here is a suggestion

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716713
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,569
Thanks guys. And great help with the write-up and gps shots DSM8.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Thanks guys. And great help with the write-up and gps shots DSM8.
No problem, I am going to be doing something like that again this year the timing as to when is still in the works and looks like my buddy that went with last time wont make it this year.

Thinking about a route through Montana for glacial national park and such, having a cabin up there is also a bonus...

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Another really cool route would be this one. Instead of Billings MT, you could go the Glacier National Park.

DO NOT go to the Rockies this time of year. You will find it too cold and iced over. In fact even Yellowstone might have some passes still snowed in. Beartooth Pass was frozen and not open till June when I went.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491917

This was a really fun ride. You can tweak it to your liking. Yellowstone was nothing short of amazing!
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Go to Baja. There's plenty of pavement to ride there too if you don't wanna get dirty.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
mrduck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Is 395 fuggedabatit hot Aug-Oct heading north?
Hell yes! Stick to the coast heading north that time of year.

Is it scenic?
When there's snow on top of the Sierras, drop dead gorgeous!

Don J

J Garcia
mrduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
Last year, I rode from Oxnard to the Washington state line, all up Hwy 1. came down the 5 for a rally in Salem. This was in July and I had a great trip. i would recommend it, especially the Lost Coast section. I've done lots of riding in the eastern Sierras and you can't go wrong there either, but as others have said, the 395 can be way too hot in September.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehog View Post
I'd wind my way up through the Sierras in eastern CA, hit YNP, then Tahoe, then up 89 toward Lake Almanor and up to Oregon. Somewhere around Portland, head to the coast, then follow the coastline all the way down Hwy 1 back to LA. This route would have a ton of scenic areas, forests and twisties.
This would be a great trip. 395 is somewhat high elevation, so the heat isn't all that bad. It certainly cools down at night. The views are wide, with high mountains covered in sage brush. Really a gorgeous ride on something like a Scrambler.

Just when you've had enough of the desert, you will get to the Tahoe area (take Hwy 88/89 into south Tahoe). Just over the hill in Auburn, you could look for a place to stay within walking distance of the Auburn Ale House. Head north from there through the northern Sierra, and head for the coast on around day 5: there's a brewery in Fort Bragg. On your way down the coast, enjoy some fresh oysters at Drake's Bay Oyster Co., then get a cheap motel room next to Lagunitas Brewery in Petaluma (only a half hour away from the coast through rolling hills). The next night, camp near Monterey (if there is no event, campsites are easy to get at Laguna Seca Raceway). In the morning, stop by Petra Cafe for some Turkish coffee that will keep you warm all day.

Be prepared for fog on the coast in summer time. It is usually just patchy, and burns off by mid day, but it does cause the temps to drop.

If you have trouble finding a camp site half way down the coast, you might consider heading inland to Paso Robles to visit Firestone Brewery. Unfortunately, there is no lodging next to this one, so you'll either have to catch a taxi, or limit it to one beer (be sure to check the alcohol % rating, they make some stiff stuff).

Just south of Santa Maria, you might want to check out the Solvang Motorcycle Museum. Cool bikes in a cool little Danish village.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote