User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
EpapGS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Bike dies for a few minutes? HES?

Hi I need a hand sorting my '99 R1150GS, I got it a few weeks ago with 80,000k's on it.

Went awesome for 1000k then at 100kph in 5th it died, tacho went to zero batt light came on coasted to side of highway and oil light lit up.

Turned off and on fuel pump was working hit starter and it tries to fire but wont?? It sort of catches and fires once then dies.

Fiddled with all obvious wires switches etc, then after 5 mins or so bang it fires up as if nothing was ever wrong and goes sweet for another 1500k's.

Then yesterday it happens again same thing highway speed and it dies like someone flicked the kill switch, this time it takes 10 mins or so and bang off we go again running perfectly!! arghhhhhh!

1st time was 37km into the trip and second time was 200+ks both on warm dry days no water anywhere, and both times riding in a straight line at highway speed??

Can it be the HES or would that die and stay dead?

Any ideas? I love this bike and just need to sort this glitch before it strands me, cheers
EpapGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,426
Typical symptoms of the HES at that mileage
Check out Euromotoelectrics for the best deal which includes updated hi temp wiring.
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BOS...gnsen-r277.htm
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
More likely the HES wiring is exposed as the insulation dried up and has disintegrated. That can cause your intermittant issue.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Mens Rea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
yes on HES and Euromotor

I have an '03 r1150r that turned itself off a few times on the highway, then would start back up fine five minutes later. After some sniffing around I ordered a new HES from Euromotor, and (knock on wood) no trouble since (replaced HES in June).

When I took the old one out, there is a narrow channel above the unit that the wires pass through, and the wires felt sort of glued in at the narrowest point, like they had melted or degraded a bit there.

Good prices and prompt service from EME. I kept the old unit and may try the 'low cost rebuild' but in June just couldn't have the bike off-line for very long, it's my main transport.
Mens Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
EpapGS OP
Adventurer

Laugh Cheers

Thanks guys I didnt realise the HES could be intermittent but I guess if its the wiring and not the actual sensors that have failed that would explain it,

Ha I sold my '06 1200GS cause I didnt like the servos and was paraniod the pump would fail!!

But to be fair I like my 1150 more anyway, feels more industrial and solid and replacing the HES is cheaper than a decent tire. I probably would have done it before 100,000ks anyway.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
jaak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
IGNITION wires!

Hi,

which wires did you fiddle with before it started again?
Mine had the same symptoms and as it turned out the wires from the ignition switch were on their way out.

Jaak
jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
rheritage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
+1 on the HES, my 02 GSA with 91K died on me, no warning, changed the HES running great again. Plan on rebuilding my original HES to keep in my spares kit. Also changed the plug wires and did the alternator belt at the same time.

R100RS Sold, R80RT Sold, 1150RT Traded, RC51 Sold, KLR685 Sold, W650 Sold, CB1100F Traded, 1100S BCR Traded
rheritage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
EpapGS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaak View Post
Hi,

which wires did you fiddle with before it started again?
Mine had the same symptoms and as it turned out the wires from the ignition switch were on their way out.
I turned key on and off multiple times, kill switch, side stand, relays, fuses, BUT it was the key I turned off and on 4 or 5 times last and then it fired up ?! but the ignition wires all look good?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpapGS View Post
I turned key on and off multiple times, kill switch, side stand, relays, fuses, BUT it was the key I turned off and on 4 or 5 times last and then it fired up ?! but the ignition wires all look good?
Take a look at the ignition wiring where the wires are held on by a zip tie to the steering head. The Zip Tie can cause an internal break.

Jim
Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
EpapGS OP
Adventurer

Right O, I pulled it apart and....the HES wiring looks as good as new? Buga.....but is it always the wiring or do the actual sensors fail?

The bottom sensor was dirty with a bit of oil and grime and belt residue but thats about it.

I've ordered a new 1 and belt from euromotoelectrics so I guess it will be wait and see? fingers crossed.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Right O, I pulled it apart and....the HES wiring looks as good as new? Buga.....but is it always the wiring or do the actual sensors fail?

The bottom sensor was dirty with a bit of oil and grime and belt residue but thats about it.

I've ordered a new 1 and belt from euromotoelectrics so I guess it will be wait and see? fingers crossed.
Those sensors are pretty much off or on. If the wiring is good, and the bike runs well sometimes, then it is likely not the HES. Have a look at the ignition wires.

Jim
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,426
Quote:

Did you strip back the heatshrink tubing and outer jacket? it's the insulation on the 4 wires inside that crumbles. Typically the jacket looks fine.
The sensors can be become intermittent as well.
I have rebuilt quite a few sensor assemblies now and have seen all causes for failure. One of the ones I did tested perfectly on my tester but would not run on the bike. Rebuilt it with new sensors & teflon wire and all was well.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
EpapGS OP
Adventurer

Oh no I haven't done that yet, but will do, thanks.

I thought about making a tester for the HES but as its only faulted twice in 3000ks I figured my chances of getting it to fail were pretty low.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
diter
KKLLRR

Oddometer: 60
Blasted HES

I had a 1999 R11S that I went on a trip through Mexico with. Halfway between Pt. Vallarta and Acapulco it died on me in the twisties. No shoulder on Mex22 there. I turned the bike all the way off (doubt this has any relevance) and then tried to start it. It started right up. rode a couple of days then it died on me again coming up about 80km from Mazatlan. This time it stayed dead. I had to replace the part (part of which involved a 36 hour bus ride back home to SF) and it has been running fine ever since (28K miles later). I recently bought a 1995 R11GS, went on a week long/ 2K ride up PNW. Got back home. The next day it died a block away from my house. Started up, went a few more blocks, then died again. HES failure was the diagnosis.

They way it has been explained to me, in the 90's they used a more eco-friendly/recyclable wiring insulation. Unfortunately this green friendly insulation was not very heat tolerant and tended to crack after about 70k miles. If you get a 90s R-bike, I would pretty much immediately replace the HES if it hasn't been done already. You can tell the difference in wiring insulation just by looking at it.

I have my bikes looked after at http://www.desmotosport.com/ in San Francisco.I have my Ducs looked after there. Technically they are a Ducati shop, they will work on beemers for you if you are nice. They are fantastic guys and I can't say enough nice things about them. They charged me $212 for the HES.

Beats getting stuck on the side of the road in the middle of Mexico!!!
diter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
EpapGS OP
Adventurer

Parts arrived from EME excellent service, whats the torque setting for the bottom pulley bolt to crankshft? Cheers