User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
BucketHead OP
Would-Be Camel Man

Oddometer: 218
Whoops on a bigger bike?

When your bike is too heavy to blitz the front end across the tops of the whoops like you would on a motorcrosser, what is the best technique to get through long whoops sections quickly without getting exhausted? I have been working on extending my arms and legs as the bike drops into the hollows and sucking the bike upwards as it comes over the crests and can go faster without crashing, but expend lots of energy.
Suggestions?
BucketHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 207
Ride the edges if possible...
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
you can try doubling them, or wheeling a few and then dropping into one and repeating, but it'd be tough.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,264
How big is the bike?

The technique you describe is the only way I know of to get my 1150 through whoops without taking a year to do it.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
BucketHead OP
Would-Be Camel Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
you can try doubling them, or wheeling a few and then dropping into one and repeating, but it'd be tough.
I found this works fairly well right up until the point that I end up driving the front end into the back of a whoop, then it goes very bad very fast.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketHead View Post
I found this works fairly well right up until the point that I end up driving the front end into the back of a whoop, then it goes very bad very fast.
That's how most things happen in whoops though eh.

You either get the shit kicked out of you, or you take more risk and it works great until it doesn't :)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
BucketHead OP
Would-Be Camel Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
How big is the bike?

The technique you describe is the only way I know of to get my 1150 through whoops without taking a year to do it.
It's a general question, but it was recently an issue with a DRZ with 4 gallon tank.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's a general question, but it was recently an issue with a DRZ with 4 gallon tank.
A DRZ isn't that bad, but it kicked my ass for real with out the FCR. The stock CV carb looses power when the rear slams into a whoop because the slide starts to close. (Also does it landing off jumps)

Also when doing the wheelie a few and set it down, make sure you set it down on the back side and not the face. It's all about throttle timing.

I'm not that good in the whoops though so what do I know... I'd never want to try doubling them on the 950, but it'd probably be the least tiring.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
If it's stock suspension & tuning, running pump gas etc. and throw in some sand whoops and it could be a long day on that DRZ. If the suspension is not working with you then it will work against you and there goes the fun. Like said by others try and land the front on the backside of the next whoop then repeat. But if it cases then it will drop the front so be careful of that. Ride the edges can smooth things quite a bit as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,813
Remember that regardless of bike size speed is your friend. The faster you go the more the bike will "float" on the whoops. Just remember to stay relaxed and let the bike do the work. Essentially your body will remain in a stationary position while the bike dances and bucks under you.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Remember that regardless of bike size speed is your friend. The faster you go the more the bike will "float" on the whoops. Just remember to stay relaxed and let the bike do the work. Essentially your body will remain in a stationary position while the bike dances and bucks under you.
I'd like to see that work on a 12GS here in the So Cal desert or Baja. That would be good video

Seriously, a DRZ should be fine in the whoops. Unless something (suspension, timing) is working against the rider. I've ridden my DRZ in Baja with no issues. Those Trophy Trucks really know how to stack up the sand
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,631
There is no good way, go slow and get a work out, or go fast and risk a bad fall.
Drilling yourself into the next whoop with the bike behind you can get you a helicopter ride.

The drz should be a lot better then a dr650 though...

I once ran the sandy lane enduro and some sick person laid out about a mile or two of big sandy whoops at the end of a 100 mile race. You enter the whoops with arms that feel like rubber, and exit with them not working at all.
I had to have help getting the bike onto the truck...
It sure gets you in shape though...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I don't know about doing this on a GS (I've never ridden one) but this has been true on every dirtbike I've ever ridden, from my old 75 TM100 to my current KX500 (it even works on a 71 CB350 with trials tires). Stand up, get your but over the rear end and stay on the gas. the problem comes when you want to slow down, I suggest you keep going! LOL
going slow will give you death by arm pump, going fast will be great, except if you do crash it will be spectatular.

YMMV
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,020
I was pounding whoops once on my Lc4 620,things were going great,pinned in 3rd and sometimes working it into 4th.
Scary as hell but it was sprung stiff enough to do it.( If springs are too soft on any bike,there's really no way to get through whoops even semi gracefully)

But I was zinging along and the trail dropped about 4 feet and went into some bigger whoops,Me and the bike hit the first one and launched way off the trail...............coming down in a huge sagebrush sorta bush , smashed that bush like nothing and wobbled/bounced back onto the trail.
If there had been a big rock in that bush like there often is,I would be tapping this reply out with the tip of my nose probably.

Big Bikes can stomp you like a bug.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
I'd like to see that work on a 12GS here in the So Cal desert or Baja. That would be good video

Seriously, a DRZ should be fine in the whoops. Unless something (suspension, timing) is working against the rider. I've ridden my DRZ in Baja with no issues. Those Trophy Trucks really know how to stack up the sand
Oh Yeah,a DRZ is what you want in the whoops,no snap to the engine to speak of,wallowy el cheapo suspension,and really just a real heavy bike for a 400. I guess once your used to it anything will work.
Right after my last desert trip on my DRZe it magiclly disappeared and a 530 showed up in it's place.