User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Dual Plugs OEM Spark Plugs?

Do I need a special spark plug or can I use OEM plugs on my 79 R100 equipped with dual plugs?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
My '77 R100S used the same plugs that you'd use if it was a single plug head.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Perfect thanks! Was planning to hit up the dealer but wanted to make sure before I went. Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Most lower plugs are 1/2" reach, and many are 12mm threads. Check yours to to see before buying.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,026
What plugs are in it now?

I change spark plugs in the parking lot at Bob's. It's one of my favorite places to work on my Airhead.

Yes dual plug heads mostly have a smaller plug in the bottom but the work can be done so that they use the same plug. Problem is it's more work to do it that way so most do it the cheaper way.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys! You were correct! They are different sizes. The top ones are Champion N6YC and the bottoms are Champion P8Y. Can anyone recommend replacements?

Here are the pics of the plugs

When I initially pulled them they were a bit wet so I'm not sure if it's carbon fouling or oil fouling. The pics are maybe no more than 5mins after I pulled them out.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,039
I always recomend that plug reading is not for 99% of us unless it is so far off one way or the other it should be obvious on many fronts. Yours qualify! I would guess you're rich AND oily? Whatever it is it isn't good.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks I'm just wondering where I should go from here.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1bby69 View Post
Thanks I'm just wondering where I should go from here.
New plugs. And get a couple of spare sets. you may need them.

When an engine runs too rich for too long the excess gas washes the thin layer of oil off the cylinder walls. This can be bad enough for enough miles to that it won't come back and new rings and/or head work will be needed. Treat the too rich condition first. It is the easiest to deal with. After a couple hundred miles look at the plugs again.

The too rich is the carbs putting too much gas into the air/fuel mix. They can run pretty good this way but it is bad for the motor and you pocket. Poor gas mileage and rebuild engine time too soon.

Have you ever put a new air filter on this? Plugged air filter doesn't pass enough air, it's too rich.

Idle mix setting set too far out. Most common culprit.

I also don't like reading plugs. But we don't have much choice. Those are so far to the rich end of the spectrum they are almost over the edge.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Disston. Hopefully nothing is damaged. I bought this bike from a person who surgery on his shoulder and had the bike sitting for 2 years. I'll take a look at the air filter. This can be why the bike was idling pretty poorly when I first received it. Not the bike won't kick over and just backfires pretty good. Hopefully nothing badly damage. At least now I have a good starting point.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

It really should be OK. Or it's time for more extensive repairs. You've had this bike for two months I think and have been doing a lot of stuff. Have you done a compression check on the engine yet? Or even better would be a leak down test. After the plugs and filter get changed and you get the air/fuel mix some where in a more sane realm then you should probably check the compression at least. This will give you an idea of the general health of the engine.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

To be honest I haven't had time to really work on the bike. Just didn't know where to start. I haven't checked compression but when I get new plugs and try to adjust the carbs I'll check them. Still a noob at being a mechanic...thanks for all the help.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I realize you are new to this. You have a lot to learn. Us Old Timers are still learning. Somebody near you may have a leak down tester or you may buy a compression gauge. It is one of those tools that is just above the beginners level of mechanics. There are expensive and cheaper compression gauges. There are screw in and push in models. The screw in models are more money and need several adapters to work on various plug holes. For out Airheads a really cheap push in compression gauge works really good. There is plenty of access to the plug hole and it's really easy to push down on the rubber plug. You can buy a used one for less than $30. I prefer those Made In the USA kind. A cheapo from Harbor Freight may even be less money.

Here's a beat up oldie that probably works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hastings-Ste...item3ccc3c53f6

There's a lot of junk around that is selling for too much money. Be careful because you don't really know what this tool is and what a complete set looks like. If you don't get this one for $4.00 let me know and I'll find you another cheapo. At this price you aren't risking much. And it will last a couple years. What wears out is the rubber plug.

For our Airheads the push in should be straight. The bent push tubes are for V8s.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,905
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the condition of your top end. Both of your top plugs are equally covered with a coating of soot and that can be handled by going to a different plug and a simple carb adjustment. Who says the plugs that you are running are the correct ones - maybe they're a few ranges too cold for what you need. The bottom plugs are supposed to have more crap on them - that's what bottom plugs usually start to look like. I ran NGK BP6ES's on the top position and something similar on my bottom plug position on my first engine - just make sure the bottom plug has a shorter reach. Maybe someone here can chime in with a BP6ES equivalent for the lower position.

I would just start to ride the bike and get to know it for the first little while. When you appreciate the simplicity of the BMW design and engineering toughness, then you can start diving in deeper and really get your hands dirty.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

So i bought new plugs and when installing the last plug on the lower right i stripped the threads. Looks like i have more work to do on the bike.