Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
I love the Ninja 250, but compared to even a cross-over, it isn't that light. The big ADV bikes have what the Ninjette doesn't: low end torque, a relaxed steering head angle, and 7-9" of suspension travel. Even geared down, the Ninjette won't do steep hills well, and with the steep steering angle and 17" front wheel, you will get very tired of muscling it everywhere.

On the other hand, Kawasaki made a KLE-250 based on the Ninjette motor in the 1990's - never imported to North America. Do some research to find the differences: frame, suspension, 18"/21" wheels & tires, low front fender, top-half rally fairing, exhaust started low under the frame and finshed high along the seat, small bash plate included. I have a photo, but can't post them here. Good luck!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,445
I hate to say it but the new EX300 Ninja engine would be pretty sweet as a DS engine. Wide ratio 6 speed, midrange power is great and smooth as can be at any RPM. I'm not taking mine apart but it wouldn't be a bad KLR replacement engine IMO.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Do a Google or Bing search for the KLE-250. You can't import the whole motorcycle, but you could by one without an engine as "parts". Then add a 250/300 cc motor here a license it as a one-off (kit) bike.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
espacef1fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yep.
Should be able to get a poly tank somewhere and fit it up to the bike. The rest is work.

But, you better be up to it. If you think you can't sell it now, once you tear into it and mod it for dirt, you're really going to have negative value.

You might consider bartering instead of selling for cash. There are a lot of people trading nowadays.
Hook me up with a trade?
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
Growl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Sheesh! Find suitable tires... Maybe lower the gearing a tad... And enjoy!

Suitable tires, consider these:

Vee Rubber VRM-163 120/90 16

DURO HF904 130/90S16
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Its been a while since I have been considering this for one of my spare "parts bikes" - hey, use what you have, right?

So I am not certain these are still available but the tires I have seen mentioned repeatedly are a Shinko 244, size 3.00-16 on the front, and a Bridgestone TW40, size 120/90-16 for the rear.

If you follow through, please let us know how it works out.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 795
I'd say be patient and keep an eye out for a trade. I went through the same dilemma and started emailing every KLR on craigslist within several hundred miles. I found a good trade in less than a month.

The 250 is a great bike, but I doubt you'd be happy with it offroad, the suspension sucks even on-road.
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,826
I totally understand your wanting to modify the Ninja 250, but it is a pretty specialized bike. Knobby tires will interfere with the front fender, and riding it off road you are going to have problems with ground clearance. But DON'T underestimate what a Ninja 250 (especially the '07 and older) can do. Here is a link to a very interesting video. This guy rode an '06 Ninja 250 from CA to FL, then back to CA, then to Prudhoe Bay AK and back to CA. Only problem was a chain that came off, he believes it was not installed properly. Nothing else went wrong. BTW, the Ninja 250 already has a huge stock tank for a 250.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxoVEMTXp8
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 04:59 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,413
I enjoyed the read of Jordan's thread about His Ninja 250 2up trip from TX to Argentina.

I think that's about as much off-roading anyone would do with a Ninja 250.

I wouldn't worry about the tires, just ride it.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Knobby tires will interfere with the front fender, and riding it off road you are going to have problems with ground clearance.
Tire clearance won't be a problem if you raise the front fender as per the standard mod if a person chooses to use 17" wheels.

The ground clearance issues really depend on the ground you are intending to ride and riding style. True offroad, well it depends. There are hundreds of miles of trails out in the desert I would feel okay riding. But yeah, there are certainly places where a bikes much more capable would have issues, and I would just not go there. Most gravel and even marginally maintained dirt roads will not be an issue. I have taken mine on even a few short trails but they were smooth and I was riding them at a very sedate pace.

Ddennis669 rode across the country and up to Prudhoe Bay then to Key West. But I think the Haul Road in Alaska was the only long stretch not paved.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote