User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Velocipede OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Mikuni Sizing Advice Needed

Pardon me if this has been discussed before but after at least a couple of years mulling it over I am finally going to get me a pair of Mikuni VM round slide carbs for my 89 R100 GSPD.

The Bings on my bike are 40 MM's and I'm wondering what would be the best size to go for with Mikuni's.I did read of one inmate who put 36MM's on his R100 and was happy with them.Has anyone used the 38MM's and how did they work.Any advice on jetting would be most appreciated too.

The old girl wont know herself this coming spring,new Endurolast Alternator and Ignition,Progressive springs and Emulators plus a six pot caliper to replace the less than spectacular stopping power of the original Brembo.Also a lowered Corbin Gunfighter to help me plant my feet and oh yes top loading Pelican cases to go with the Pelican top case.Can't wait.

John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
the 38mm Mikuni's work great on R100's. The carbs match the ports fantastic when used with San Jose spigots, they have lots of top end, and pull cleanly from idle all the way up. I can't ask for more.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,800
It basically boils down to 36's or 38's. With your small port heads with raised port floors, I would go with 38's. 38mm Mikuni's have a lot more low end response than even 32mm Bing's so it's pretty much a win/win.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
I'm running VM38's with stock intake spigots and rubbers on the head side and stock elbows inserted into the bellmouth of the Mikunis, sealed with the silicone tape between the outside of the elbow and the inside of the bellmouth.
Better response, power and better mileage.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Velocipede OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Thanks guys for the words I was hoping to hear.Can you remember if you changed the jetting and if so what sizes did you use.?

John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote