Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
Arthurwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I have a 2005 model from new and it runs perfectly-- now. That year the bike came with power "servo" brakes, which were problematic at best. My bike had several "Brake Failures," which certainly were capable of causing a serious crash. At that time the problem was difficult to diagnose and could be caused by any number of glitches in the electrical system. My bike's wiring harness was eventually replaced under warranty, which cured the problem. You can find a full discussion of this on the UKGSER forum.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,963
I bought my '05 in 2008 with 17K miles on it. I'm at 58K now. It would be issue free if I could keep the damn thing right side up. The original owner did have the clutch replaced under warranty due to a failure in the slave cylinder at like 5K miles.

Anyway, to me the most important thing is a detailed and complete service history. Maintenance is key to longevity on these bikes.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Vader View Post
What is your reasoning?
I have an 08 GSA. It seems pretty debugged although my FD wore out after a trip from ATL to Prudhoe BAY AK and back at 32,000 miles. It had some minor recalls, key ring, brake line positioning and one fuel strip.

My buddy has a 2007 GSA. His is pretty solid but the 2008 has some better cosmetic items like led rear brake light and bigger beak.

Before I bought my 08 I had an 1150GSA and remember reading issues with the 05s and 06s plus I thought I read they don't make a Final Drive for the older bikes anymore?? I'm not sure if that is correct.

But if a person can get an 05 at a good price and all the issues are corrected why not go for it. Buying from a dealer doesn't guarantee anything. Every time I have returned to my salesman with a issue on a new vehicle (not m/c) I was told this is sales, service is in the back have a nice day....the reverse was true too. Sales promised me a part at cost. I went to parts and they wanted full price. We are parts not sales.

07 and 08s have prettier anodizing on the fork legs too.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
I have a first release '05 and it has around 57,000 miles on it. Had a transmission vent thing replaced under warranty, and I had to replace the rear wheel flange last year, but has been fine otherwise. Still runs great. I love it, whizzy brakes and all.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Here is a post regarding the brake flange. From 12GS Rear Disk Flange Cracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancockbs View Post
BMW seems to have gone to a third version of this flange. It now comes in two parts; the flange, which is about 60% as thick as the original and a spacer ring, which is not heat fitted. The flange appears to be steel now as well.

photo

photo

I received it from Countryside BMW on Friday. Total for the two parts, plus five rotor bolts and shipping was a bit less than $300. I installed it yesterday. It was very hard to get on. I used a lot of ice to keep the axle cool while continually heating the flange and it went on a tiny bit at a time. I am concerned about torque values now. I don't know if they are different for the new flange design. If I can get a good answer, I will post it.

It was also pointed out by a sharp eyed person that the wheel holes on the flange might be cracked. After cleaning it up a bit, I found that all five holes are cracked. I guess losing the rotor at low speed is probably the BEST thing that could have happened here.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Briggy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Had my '05 since new and have done a reasonable amount of dirt riding including the Baja with over 87,000kms (50,000+ miles) on it. Only problem ever was a brake system warning after the bike was on its side for a couple of minutes... Turned out to be because the brake fluid reservoir was a tad low. I love it but the 07s had a number of improvements.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #22
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Can anyone say if the 06 GS/GSAs had the same problems as the 05s or were the big problems resolved in late 05s? I'm looking at an 06 GSA and the comments here are concerning - bad FDs, transmissions, engine seals, brakes, ABS modules, wheel flanges - we're talking many, many, many thousands in repairs. Should I just pass on pre 08s?

While we're at it, can a GS be converted to a GSA ride height? Do the late models' electrically adjustable suspensions negate having to mod the suspension like serious GS owners do on the older models? Is that option worthwhile on the latest models - as in worth spending extra $ to buy a newer one vs buying an older one and tricking out the suspension? Thanks!
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #23
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
what does one mean by "whizzy brakes"
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #24
IJM
Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
what does one mean by "whizzy brakes"

I think that's a reference to the noise the servo assist pump makes for ABS equipped models.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #25
Bob Southgate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
I bought my '05 brand new in July 2005 and it now has just over 40000 miles on the clock. Whilst under warranty I had some cosmetic issues and also two sets of front discs replaced because of warping. Since the warranty expired in July 2007 I have had to replace the following parts which are outside of the normal wear and tear items:-

battery in June 2008
battery in June 2011
seal behind the alternator pulley in September 2012
fuel pump controller in October 2012

Not a very long list. It is still on the original final drive and there have been no issues with the servo brakes. I have changed the brake fluid every two years (Jim Von Badens DVD was a godsend) and I change the final drive fluid every 12000 miles.

'14 K1600GT
Bob Southgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #26
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Southgate View Post
Since the warranty expired in July 2007 I have had to replace the following parts which are outside of the normal wear and tear items:-

battery in June 2008
battery in June 2011

Do you charge your battery when it isn't ridden? Just curious. My 08 is on it's original battery and I put it on a tender when it's in the garage. Batteries are like oil threads, charge, don't charge, defective batteries, cheap batteries, Odyssey
batteries, etc...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
Bob Southgate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Do you charge your battery when it isn't ridden? Just curious. My 08 is on it's original battery and I put it on a tender when it's in the garage. Batteries are like oil threads, charge, don't charge, defective batteries, cheap batteries, Odyssey
batteries, etc...
I was using the bike on a regular basis up to a year ago so I didn't feel the need to charge it on a regular basis, but I have been using my optimate charger more often to keep it topped up.

'14 K1600GT
Bob Southgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #28
GSgeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I bought my '05 gs in 2009 with 28000 miles from a dealer(sjbmw),I now have 71000 trouble free miles!
I can remember a final drive seal,thats it! Great bike
GSgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #29
Grants
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
2005 gs

I have 2005 GS, with almost 50 000km on it, and no major problems so far.
ok I had some issues with final drive bearings, but I believe this was my, and my mechanic fault. Brakes are squealing, but so what? They are working fine, and I cannot imagine riding w/o ABS. Maybe it`s because I haven't reached expert off road riding level. The same story goes to servo brakes, well actually I like the, especially in "on road" conditions. From my point of view all you have to do before buying is to have a good inspection before buying and that`s it.

Grants screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 11:39 AM
Grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #30
rebake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Laugh Be carefull what you post;

I just posted yesterday about mine being mostly trouble free.Today the battery went dead.Ed