Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 931
I took one look at that seat and that was enough to scare me off. Looks like it would not be comfortable for very long. The one I saw was the orange and blue scheme, very nice styling IMO.
Bobby Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Perfect, just as we thought,

you winners need to stay on the BMW forums

and eat my dust out on the trail. That is of course if you ever get more than 10 miles from starbucks.

Get back to your cubicle and let the Men rage.
Max
Why thanks for recognizing me as a "winner" Max. That is very kind of you, as I usually shy from the subject.

I'd happily eat your dust, just for the sake of enjoying a ride in Idaho. I don't care so much about winning anymore. Heck, I'd even bring my Husaberg to avoid offending you with my Beemer, seeing you're so sensitive about it. But I'm not quite certain if that was an actual invitation. Its a bit clever to discern.

Guess I'll ponder it over a cup of coffee.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 06:05 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #18
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucandGSrider View Post
I took one look at that seat and that was enough to scare me off. Looks like it would not be comfortable for very long. The one I saw was the orange and blue scheme, very nice styling IMO.

In my experience, anything over an hour sat on a bike without moving (say, a motorway) and you'll start to feel concrete where there was foam!

I was expecting the seat to be an issue on my 2012 (std, not R). So far, it's been fine but my longest non-stop ride has been about 2 hours in the saddle. The difference with the KTM seat, compared to those plusher-looking 'touring' seats, is that you CAN move around quite a bit. It's useful for off-roading, of course, but very handy to relive pressure points on long rides too.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #19
TFuse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I love mine. I've only ridden the F800gs a few times, but extended time on other BMWs with the same engine has my hands going numb after a few hours from the vibration. I've done a cross country trip in 5 days on my 990- I think the stock seat is fine, and ridden it in all weather and terrain. Crashed it on ice at the top of pikes peak, picked it up and rode on through utah and nevada.
Aside from the usual skidplate sidestand stuff, the best upgrade was adding an extra fan and lower temp thermostat to cure the occasional overheat warning on very hot days when stuck going slow.
TFuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I thought I would throw this out in this forum again. I am thinking of jumping ship from a 800GS (before that had an 1100GS) to the last of the 990's. Issues I think the KTM would solve would be highway power/speed and off road performance. Concerns are maintenance and mileage. As a long term BMW rider this decision involves a fair amount of angst. Thanks in advance for help.
Quote:
It's all good! Thanks for the replies. Test road a 990 today, definitely more go than my 800 and fun to ride (at least on the street). Seat seemed better than my stock 800GS 2x4.
Timely thread for me as well. I am going back and forth whether or not to trade my 2012 Super Tenere in for a 2012 990R. I have not done a test ride yet, but everything indicates that I will love the motor, and that alone would probably seal the deal. Cons might be the "infamous" maintenance issues and requirements of the KTM, no shaft drive, and for me no tubeless wheels. I know - if I don't want to do maintenance (including the chain, and getting good at pulling a wheel/tire to fix a flat, which sucks by the way....), then don't consider the KTM, right? For the record I am a good wrench, with most of my time spent working on my race car, so that does not scare me but I have to ask myself if I want another machine that I have to spend as much time working on as driving/riding time.

In the end though I think it always goes back to the motor, and the suspension and the dirt...... one other con of the 990 might be to simply wait for the 1190? Insightful inputs greatly appreciated.
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I thought I would throw this out in this forum again. I am thinking of jumping ship from a 800GS (before that had an 1100GS) to the last of the 990's. Issues I think the KTM would solve would be highway power/speed and off road performance. Concerns are maintenance and mileage. As a long term BMW rider this decision involves a fair amount of angst. Thanks in advance for help.

If those are your angst you are in the wrong room. Stick with your beemers.
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFuse View Post
I love mine. I've only ridden the F800gs a few times, but extended time on other BMWs with the same engine has my hands going numb after a few hours from the vibration. I've done a cross country trip in 5 days on my 990- I think the stock seat is fine, and ridden it in all weather and terrain. Crashed it on ice at the top of pikes peak, picked it up and rode on through utah and nevada.
Aside from the usual skidplate sidestand stuff, the best upgrade was adding an extra fan and lower temp thermostat to cure the occasional overheat warning on very hot days when stuck going slow.
True. I have an '08 990 Adv and the throttle WAS snatchy. Two cheap cures for snatchy throttle on '08 and older 990s and they each work: 1) G2 Throttle cam (400 size), 2) TuneECU (cable about $65, free software, free maps).

Yes, I did also buy a fuel pump rebuild kit to PREVENT a known problem (cost about $120).

My seat is a Renazco and it's pretty good overall. Not a Russell Day Long, but I can ride pain-free for a 6 hour day. After that minor discomfort.

As you know from your test ride the 990 has balls. The F800GS felt barely quicker than my V-Strom 650. My 990 feels about as fast as a V-Strom 1000, maybe slightly quicker. I think the KTM 990 Adventure is a great used bike buy compared to say a Tiger 800XC or Super Tenere.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
Timely thread for me as well. I am going back and forth whether or not to trade my 2012 Super Tenere in for a 2012 990R. I have not done a test ride yet, but everything indicates that I will love the motor, and that alone would probably seal the deal. Cons might be the "infamous" maintenance issues and requirements of the KTM, no shaft drive, and for me no tubeless wheels. I know - if I don't want to do maintenance (including the chain, and getting good at pulling a wheel/tire to fix a flat, which sucks by the way....), then don't consider the KTM, right? For the record I am a good wrench, with most of my time spent working on my race car, so that does not scare me but I have to ask myself if I want another machine that I have to spend as much time working on as driving/riding time.

In the end though I think it always goes back to the motor, and the suspension and the dirt...... one other con of the 990 might be to simply wait for the 1190? Insightful inputs greatly appreciated.
Keep the Tenere. Unless it just doesn't meet your needs. It's a great ADV/Touring machine. I have 9-10,000 miles on mine and very happy.

However,,,, I do love my 2012 990R. ADV. I bought it without hesitation. I didn't even get a test ride the bike or throw a leg over the saddle before buying mine. I had the dealer find one and had the deal signed before seeing the bike. I will admit I was concerned about seat height, but I figured if I could get along on my 690 I'd do OK with the 990R.

They are two bikes on completely different ends of the spectrum for two different specific riding conditions and styles.
Hopefully you end up with the 990 it's a very fun bike.

WJR
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
ShopBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Get the 990!

In my experience, the problems with the 990 arise when it is used as a 1000cc bush basher, and/or home maintenance is done. My 2010 990 is a wonderful machine, and after owning a BMW, I wouldn't go back.

If you abuse any machine it'll break, whatever it is....

I now have the suspension set so it is superbly comfy on the highway, and very competent (much more than the rider) on the rough.

My experience is that the 990 is more comfy on the tarmac than the BMW, and why is it that BMW have such shit seats? I'm a big tall man and I don't have trouble with comfort or buffeting.

I have not had any issues with my KTM, and if you disconnect the brown wires (or put in a switch) under the seat you'll get more even power delivery down low and better fuel economy.

In this context though, why not try the new 2013 model.

At least take a look......
ShopBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #25
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopBoy View Post
I have not had any issues with my KTM, and if you disconnect the brown wires (or put in a switch) under the seat you'll get more even power delivery down low and better fuel economy.

I was wondering whether to try this trick. I suppoise I could ask you what the differences are but I should really just find our myself. I tend to use the lower revs more, especially when commuting

It sounds as if you have tried this and certainly for more than one or two rides. If that ios the case, please spill the beans!

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #26
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 244
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post

I have a ST and a KTM990SMT. End of Sept took a 2700 mile bike trip took the KTM great fun. The ST is more comfortable, feels better balanced, shift/works/runs much better but the KTM has so much more soul. Bottom line is I could live with either of them it's a coin flip.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #27
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it. Decisions, decisions........
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
turbojet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thanks for all the replies. I am probably going to spring for a 2012 990 this week. My only angst was leaving the BMW fold which has served me well for more than 25 years. Overall I think I'm really going to like the 990 for combined on and off road riding. Anyone think I should hold out for the new 1190? It looks more like a GS 1100 to me, which I've had off road experience with, and in my experience more biased to the tarmac.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #29
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
There's only 2 reasons I can think of to wait for the 2013 and those would be to be first and if you like all the electronics they are going to have.

I got all 3 of my bikes when I did to not have all the electronics. I have a sneaking feeling that the free Tune ECU that we use on the 990 will not be applicable to the 1190 and will leave you at the mercy of the dealership.

I hope I'm wrong, but with traction and suspension control now on the bikes I wouldn't hold my breath and it's something to keep in mind.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I am probably going to spring for a 2012 990 this week. My only angst was leaving the BMW fold which has served me well for more than 25 years. Overall I think I'm really going to like the 990 for combined on and off road riding. Anyone think I should hold out for the new 1190? It looks more like a GS 1100 to me, which I've had off road experience with, and in my experience more biased to the tarmac.
Personally, I'd either buy a slightly used 990 Adventure for way less than new, or a new 2013 1190 Adventure. Then again I didn't have the cash to buy brand new. The re-sale on the 2012 could tank an extra grand immediately once the new one's arrive. Plus, as a road bike I would prefer the smaller 19" spoked wheel, particularly if it is tubeless. On the street the 990 has some balls but is pretty limp compared to a Multistrada 1200S. Lets be honest the 990 dynos at about 90hp at the rear wheel stock, which is down about 40+ rwhp to the Multi 1200. The new 1190 will fill a gap between the 990A and Multistrada 12 in terms of power, handling, and versatility. The 1190 will compete with the liguid cooled GS12 and should beat down the S10.

2013 Over Weight Adventure Bikes:
Triumph Explorer 1200XC
Super Tenere

Lighter Big Bores:
2013 DL1000 (prices not yet released but 12K could be an estimate)
2013 Multistrada 1200 with active suspension
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS liquid cooled (should weigh less than S10 and Explorer)

Great year to be in the market.