ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Gargoyle OP
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,154
Question 2013 Berkshire Big Adventure -- Your Input Needed

The Berkshire Trail Riders are planning our 2013 May event and would like to get your input.

Here is the thread from last years event for reference (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755308).

We hope to make this a 2 day event in 2013. We have applied for a 2 day AMA sanction, so assume it will be a Saturday and Sunday ride over different routes each day.

Assume that there will be a big bike main route ride with hero sections for dual sports and brave/skilled ADVers.

Here are a few questions we would like feedback on. I am gathering this input for our next club meeting which is in early December.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Ross

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) is a 2 day event appealing to you? Should we start the day 1 ride at 9:00am and take you through 100+ miles of dirt roads and trails? Or start later in the day (like noon) and do less miles on day 1?

2) would you rather pay less and camp on a primitive (field) site? Or would you rather pay more to stay in a campground with camp sites, cabins, showers, etc.

3) would like us to have breakfast available for purchase? would you like dinner available for purchase?

4) would you be interested in purchasing a BTR event tee shirt and/or BTR event decal?

5) what other input do you have for us on this event?
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
the kawasaki kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
The Berkshire Trail Riders are planning our 2013 May event and would like to get your input.

Here is the thread from last years event for reference (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755308).

We hope to make this a 2 day event in 2013. We have applied for a 2 day AMA sanction, so assume it will be a Saturday and Sunday ride over different routes each day.

Assume that there will be a big bike main route ride with hero sections for dual sports and brave/skilled ADVers.

Here are a few questions we would like feedback on. I am gathering this input for our next club meeting which is in early December.

1) is a 2 day event appealing to you? Should we start the day 1 ride at 9:00am and take you through 100+ miles of dirt roads and trails? Or start later in the day (like noon) and do less miles on day 1?

2) would you rather pay less and camp on a primitive (field) site? Or would you rather pay more to stay in a campground with camp sites, cabins, showers, etc.

3) would like us to have breakfast available for purchase? would you like dinner available for purchase?

4) would you be interested in purchasing a BTR event tee shirt and/or BTR event decal?

1) Yes. I would opt for an early start with more milage.

2) No I prefer primitive camping

3) No I think it is easier to just have people fend for themselves

4) No offense, but no

5) I know this has been discussed before, but I for one would like to use the new GPS unit that I invested in this season. I understand that you guys prefer roll charts, but just thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks to all those who invest their time and resources into putting these events on!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
2 days starting at 9.

Imo, the model 2 day event is Durty Dabbers.

So..

less primitive (with nearby motels )
breakfast nice, not a necessity. Good way for a local organication to make some money.
Much prefer GPS.

Do two of these and I'' buy a shirt
Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
1. 8 or 9 am start is fine
2. campground
3. don't need it
4. yes
5. day 1 more mileage, day 2 a little less
6. this years was a great ride.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,275
1) Two day event would be great!
Prefer later start on first day due to arriving late Friday night or early Saturday.

2) Primitive camping IF there's a place to have a big campfire.

3) Not necessary as I like camp cooking, but if it's a fundraiser, I'd be happy to forgo the cooking. If we can support local charities that could help the community support the riding.

4) Yep, stickahs are always fun.

5) I enjoyed this year's event, but would have liked the camping to be all together to meet some new people (I was lucky as the RI/CT crew had a big section together, but it would have been nice to have a general hang-out area, particularly so shy people [me] can meet some new folks).

Prefer roll chart, no GPS tracks.

I already had to decline a conference invitation for the days after the third weekend in May...looking forward to the 2013 Berkshires rides!
New England to New Scotland

lilolita screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 04:34 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,054
1) Not sure, I really like the way Rhody Rovers does it with an afternoon turkey loop on Saturday, and then a full ride Sunday. But this is for a TR, I would think for a dual sport a full two days is better.

2) I am good with primitive, but non-primitive is usually more conducive for partying. I would say it depends on the price difference, ten dollars no brainer, 20 maybe, 30 no.

3) I do not care either way. As someone with a special diet I never eat at events that serve food. Just don't put the food into the price.

4) I rarely buy shirts, I have too many.

5) Go for it
Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
BBQer
Who Me

Oddometer: 769
1. 9:00 both days, Adventure bike loop with several Loph sections for the guys that need the adrenalin fix. It would be nice to have a good bail point on Sunday for anyone that needs to maintain some marital bliss.

2. I don't mind a short ride to the start, growing kind of fond of primitive camping in a cabin at Prospect Mt.

3. Local non-profit doing breakfast would be nice but not a deal breaker either way.

4. T- shirts are nice, stickers even nicer.

5. Not a knock, but you asked so... Some years I found the adventure rides very tame, throw some decent hero's into the mix.

All in all you guys do a great job, always one of my must do rides.
640 Adventure
250 EXC
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 243
I don't do many dual sport events, but I was at the BBA 2012 and had fun. Big bike route.

1. 2 day OK, 9am OK, 2nd day shorter miles
2. Primitive camping OK
3. Would buy hot breakfast both days, maybe dinner too (less stuff to pack onto the bike)
4. Decal (have lots of t-shirts)
5. I really enjoyed the intermediate rated hero sections this year. Challenging and interesting, but short enough to not be exhausting. More like this please!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
1) One day is fine

2) Don't camp

3) Yes, yes

4) t-shirt

5) Suggest avoiding the word "enduro" in any postings, documents, discussions, etc., when describing a class of motorcycle.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
Gargoyle OP
Trail Jester

Great feedback so far ... looking for others to chime in here as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:

TWO DAYS ARE FINE BUT I HAVEN'T ENOUGH JUICE FOR BOTH SO I'LL DO JUST ONE DAY.

NO CAMPING NEEDED, IT'S A SHORT COMMUTE FOR ME.

NO THANKS. DD ON THE WAY IN AND WIFEY WILL HAVE DINNER WAITING WHEN I STAGGER IN.

SURE IF IT HELPS THE CLUB.

DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO. I'M SURE IT WILL BE GREAT. IT ALWAYS IS!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,357
Quote:
some of us travel a bit of a way to get to these events. when its two days my incentive to make the journey is increased. i'm all for a 1100 start and a 1500 finish. this leaves plenty of time to sleep off the hangover from last night and getting back early enough to start in on another good hangover.

in regards to trails/roads - just have someone from the club stationed at the hard parts to ride my bike for me in case i can't get over whatever the obstacle is. curbs. small muddle puddles. tight parking spaces in the starbucks lot. etc.

five star hotel. i fully expect breakfast and dinner as part of the lodging. it should be optional to step up for an all-inclusive package that includes all the alcohol you can drink.

see above.

if i pay for two days i should get a shirt included in the price of the event. its my incentive to attend for two days anyway. i have no where to put decals unfortunately.

you should make sure the trails are relatively dry and that dry firewood is available. kermit chairs for all the attendees to ensure ample seating around the fire. a bartender and cocktail waitresses would be nice as well so i don't have to get up from my kermit chair.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
Gargoyle OP
Trail Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
five star hotel. i fully expect breakfast and dinner as part of the lodging. it should be optional to step up for an all-inclusive package that includes all the alcohol you can drink.
You crack me up Aaron.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:

1) is a 2 day event appealing to you?

2 day, i dont wanna ride 5 hours each way for a one day event

Should we start the day 1 ride at 9:00am and take you through 100+ miles of dirt roads and trails?

full day on sat and shorter day on sunday so riders with long ride home arent screwed too bad

primitive is nice but nicer to have a place with rooms that allow tent camping like BYOB

YES

i dont buy t shirts anymore, i have shelves full. usually free with 2 day signup. sticker included with rider packet

a glorious dinner like rhody rovers does
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
a glorious dinner like rhody rovers does
There wasn't one this year. I miss my steak fry!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Closed Thread