ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #91
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upadv View Post
Let me know if you go to Deso. I was planning on running the trails Sunday in that area but with the temps rising the trails will be to soft. May try the single track in my yard just to get out and could head in that direction.

XMOTO, I run a 13/53 on the 390 and cannot pull 6th gear on the hardpack snowmobile trails.
What do you think your top speed is on the snowmobile trails in 5th with your gearing.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #92
2upadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbg View Post
Jim, Do you have any idea of how thick the ice on Lake Desolation is? I'll probably be riding there or under the twin bridges in Halfmoon if they have ice.
I have no idea about the Ice, just saw linkandcuff's post that he is riding the lake. Last weekend the sleds were going across and I saw a few Ice fisherman on the lake. I am too cautious on lakes to be the first.
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #93
linkandcuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
I have no idea about the Ice, just saw linkandcuff's post that he is riding the lake. Last weekend the sleds were going across and I saw a few Ice fisherman on the lake. I am too cautious on lakes to be the first.

roughly 6inches as of last week. The ice is shity now with the temps being up.....I wouldn't plan on going there until it gets cold again. The track is flooded from the snow melting

1991 honda hawk gt
2006 husqvarna TE510
2008 Yamaha FZ1 (with a few mods)
linkandcuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #94
2upadv
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
What do you think your top speed is on the snowmobile trails in 5th with your gearing.
Good question I will blast down the road in the next couple of days and look down
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #95
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkandcuff View Post
roughly 6inches as of last week. The ice is shity now with the temps being up.....I wouldn't plan on going there until it gets cold again. The track is flooded from the snow melting
Wanted to come down on Sunday. Guess it's a no go then.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #96
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:

I've been too sick to get any riding in since the beginning of December, but the ice was cored today, and it's at 13 inches, so if you guys pitch in for the shipping, I'll send you a few inches.

Going on the weekend, and going to try out the new tire I built. It's a beauty. I shaved about half the knob height, and profile it as well. Two liners, and over 500 1 1/2" screws.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #97
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
I've been too sick to get any riding in since the beginning of December, but the ice was cored today, and it's at 13 inches, so if you guys pitch in for the shipping, I'll send you a few inches.

Going on the weekend, and going to try out the new tire I built. It's a beauty. I shaved about half the knob height, and profile it as well. Two liners, and over 500 1 1/2" screws.

That cold is a bastard, I've been fighting it for a month now.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #98
linkandcuff
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Wanted to come down on Sunday. Guess it's a no go then.
We built a small track since we all have smaller bikes (250cc). Right now its good but with the warm weather coming its going to get soft. If you lived closer I would say maybe but its definitely not worth it if you live in VT. If the weather were to stay cold we will build a real track. There is a lot of snow and slush on the lake right now so its a lot of work.....we had it sooo good last year!

Here is a pic of the track today. It got hot enough to melt the top layer and freeze again but it would have broke apart if we tried to ride on it.

Here I am the night we made the track

1991 honda hawk gt
2006 husqvarna TE510
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #99
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
We built a small track since we all have smaller bikes (250cc). Right now its good but with the warm weather coming its going to get soft. If you lived closer I would say maybe but its definitely not worth it if you live in VT. If the weather were to stay cold we will build a real track. There is a lot of snow and slush on the lake right now so its a lot of work.....we had it sooo good last year!

Here is a pic of the track today. It got hot enough to melt the top layer and freeze again but it would have broke apart if we tried to ride on it.

Here I am the night we made the track

OK, thanks for the info. I would say next weekend but I'm doing the Winter Scramble in NH. Maybe they weekend after?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #100
linkandcuff
Studly Adventurer

i'm out this weekend and next weekend too.....i'll post on here when the ice is good again. anyone is welcome to join us.

1991 honda hawk gt
2006 husqvarna TE510
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #101
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,241
Hey Crank, do you have pics of these tires with the automotive studs, and how long do you think they'd last on pavement?

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #102
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Hey Crank, do you have pics of these tires with the automotive studs, and how long do you think they'd last on pavement?
We did a DS ride a few weeks ago and rode a decent amount of pavement and gravel roads and I didn't loose any studs. The car studs are the best compromise so far, longevity vs. performance I think.

I'll take a pic this afternoon
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #103
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:

Stud'n the KW????

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #104
2upadv
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Nate. I have been using Automotive studs on my GSA for a few years now. This pic is of a front Heidenau when new last year.It now has just over 5K miles besides a little scalloping the tire and studs look the same. The rear on the other hand is missing about 50% of the Studs in the center of the tire. I do not glue the Auto studs. and they fall out because the tire wears down and wears out the studs. I used 11mm studs front and rear on those tires, my next rear will have longer studs so they last as long as the tire.

The TKC studded front would be toast at 5k and rear 3K

Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #105
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,241
Quote:
Nate. I have been using Automotive studs on my GSA for a few years now. This pic is of a front Heidenau when new last year.It now has just over 5K miles besides a little scalloping the tire and studs look the same. The rear on the other hand is missing about 50% of the Studs in the center of the tire. I do not glue the Auto studs. and they fall out because the tire wears down and wears out the studs. I used 11mm studs front and rear on those tires, my next rear will have longer studs so they last as long as the tire.

The TKC studded front would be toast at 5k and rear 3K

Nice, and I take it you get enough traction to stay upright on glare ice?

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote