Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Bearsfatha OP
Pirate on a GS!

Oddometer: 24
Redline V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof® in a GS?

Hey everybody, I've got a new to me '96 1100GS and I need to service the transmission. Is anyone using Redline V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof® in their GS transmission? I kind of thought it might make it shift better.

Bearsfatha screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 07:43 PM
Bearsfatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Bearsfatha OP
Pirate on a GS!

Here is the reason I am asking. According to Redline The Heavy ShockProof® has a thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90. I run it in my Harley and it really quietened the the transmission and shifting. Anyway I'm just checking.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsfatha View Post
Here is the reason I am asking. According to Redline The Heavy ShockProof® has a thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90. I run it in my Harley and it really quietened the the transmission and shifting. Anyway I'm just checking.
I'd suggest contacting the very Guru of GS transmissions. You can PM Anton from his ADV profile page or contact him through his website.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Gimpinator
Minister Funny Walks

Oddometer: 1,062
I've run it in my '05 R1200GS for the past year. It noticeably improved the neutral gear rattle I'd been experiencing, and shifting is butter smooth.

So far, so good!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Bearsfatha OP
Pirate on a GS!

Thanks I appreciate the input. I like the "butter smooth"!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I used Redline Shockproof in my 1100 and thought it worked great. Bought a used 1200 GSA w/ 12,000 miles on it in great shape. 2-3k later I have a tranny input seal go bad. Mechanic told me that he doesn't think that the seals on these bikes like synthetics He also implied a "red" synth. I have stayed away from Redline as a result. Then I put BMW BMW 75-140 GL 5 in the gearbox to see if it would quiet gear rattle. Guess what, it's a red Synth. Think I am going back to Redline.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Bearsfatha OP
Pirate on a GS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I used Redline Shockproof in my 1100 and thought it worked great. Bought a used 1200 GSA w/ 12,000 miles on it in great shape. 2-3k later I have a tranny input seal go bad. Mechanic told me that he doesn't think that the seals on these bikes like synthetics He also implied a "red" synth. I have stayed away from Redline as a result. Then I put BMW BMW 75-140 GL 5 in the gearbox to see if it would quiet gear rattle. Guess what, it's a red Synth. Think I am going back to Redline.
Thanks Dark Helmet. I really think I'm gonna go with the Redline I have had great luck with it in my Harley transmission.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 453
Stay Away from this Sh@t!!

I'm a perfect example of trying to improve on the highly paid BMW's enginer specifications of using 90 wt GL fluid. This recommendation wasn't good enough for me. So I called Redline, and spoke to a nice gent. He informed me his product would be a great fit for my GS. So, I put this "miracle" stuff in my tranny and final drive here's what I experienced:
A) Smoothed out my trannies shifting
B) Destroyed my Final drive
C) Chunks of metal on my tranny's drain plug magnet, (Texas size)

All on 5000 miles.

I would never put this stuff in my GS again. In the mine field of life look for the foot prints in front of you. Watch out if you go this route.

PS:
Here's the stuff that cost me dearly. Wish I caught the the lack of a GL rating, this would have saved a lot of pain and $$$.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=4

Poway screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 12:38 PM
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Yikes

Yikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poway View Post
I'm a perfect example of trying to improve on the highly paid BMW's enginer specifications of using 90 wt GL fluid. This recommendation wasn't good enough for me. So I called Redline, and spoke to a nice gent. He informed me his product would be a great fit for my GS. So, I put this "miracle" stuff in my tranny and final drive here's what I experienced:
A) Smoothed out my trannies shifting
B) Desroyed my Final drive
C) Chunks of metal on my tranny's drain plug magnet, (Texas size)

All on 5000 miles.

I would never put this stuff in my GS again. In the mine field of life look for the foot prints in front of you. Watch out if you go this route.
jdbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
Bearsfatha, Your 1100 has a 5 speed which calls for GL-5 gear oil. Redline V Twin Transmission fluid with Shock Proof is not GL-5:

"Same fluid as our unique Heavy ShockProof® Gear Oil"

per Redline here: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=119&pcid=13

A good place to learn about your 1100 gear box:
http://www.largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/

You may have either an M94 or M97. You can identify which from the case numbers which are viewed behind the RS throttle body. Next, pay attention to Anton's description of M97 failure modes, particularly:
" the input gear rubs against the rear bearing and they wear into each other (there isn't really enough contact area between them)."

I'll add to that:
Bearing cover weakens, then gear oil flows in to the grease packed bearing. If the gear oil is not compatible with the grease then it coagulates. Lubrication within the bearing is then lost.

Can the choice of gear oil make a difference?
Using an oil which is miscible with the bearing pack may delay total bearing failure (anecdotal). Conventional GL-5 and some synthetics are miscible. Many synthetics are not. If the oil drains brown then bearing grease pack wash out has occurred. As long as the bearing is not starved from coag then many additional miles may still be possible.

Best advice in the 1100 5 speed is probably to stick with conventional GL-5 in BMW specified weight. If you use a syn then choose one which is fully miscible with the bearing grease pack and one which is GL-5 rated. Sometimes the oil refiner will tell you which base stocks it uses (Group II, III or IV). Generally you should avoid using economy syn gear oil such as Mo 1 75w90, (their V twin 20w50 syn is excellent in the 11xx engine for summer). Store brand syns like Penzoil, Valvoline are usually made from cheap non miscible stocks.

Seal failure was more common when syns were first introduced. These days seal conditioners are usually added to quality syns.

Anecdotal: Ted's Beemer shop uses the GL-5 version redline syn, I believe in the 75w90 weight. "seems to work for many." keep in mind that syn formulations change. CRC's Sta-lube Syn-Go OEM was highly miscible at one point, not sure if it still is. Shifting and fuel economy are better with syns but the advantages must be weighed against the risk.

>>Interesting report from Poway on his "final drive failure"after using a Redline product (which one?). FD bearings have no grease pack. Could be the failure mode there was poor shim or just a crap bearing.

edit: reply to comments from others:
"I use (super duper brand syn)" ..."11 years, no leaks, failures ect"

reply: You have an 1150 not an 1100
---
"I thought this was gonna be easy...
reply: It is. Just use non-syn in the weight appropriate for ambient. But wait, there's more...

The Third Choice:
Bio-Based Gear Lubes (Vegetable Oil) Ultra Lube 10400 GL5 80w90:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Lube-104...s=gl5+gear+oil

"less friction and heat" (less than what, turkey drippings?)
"virtually odorless"
"safe for your health" (can we cook with this?)

Who wants to be the first to run UltaLube veggie GL5?

vintagerider screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 04:30 PM
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,462
^^^

I use Super Tech 75W-140 GL-5 to which I ad a bit of moly (makes it shockproof). So far after 11 years, I have no leaks or failures and my Getrag gearbox shifts like new (quietly).

Quality synthetic GL-5 gear oils do not cause seal failure.

Insist on GL-5 API grade.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
Bearsfatha OP
Pirate on a GS!

And I thought this was gonna be easy... OK I'm doing a lot more research. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Seems like, with these bikes at least, it might make sense to just use the BMW-labeled lubes sold by the dealers - even though they're ridiculously overpriced.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #14
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
rattles and noise is the nature of the beast. The motor rattles like a can of marbles on a paint shaker, so does the tranny. It is nothing wrong. use mineral 75W90 and embrace the rattle.

If you increase the idle speed to 1200 it idles smoother and is a lot quieter. Some prefer that, some don't. I did it for a while on my RS with no lowers. Not a good idea for an RT though.. I have gone back to slower idle for more engine braking and ignore all the noise.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Seems like, with these bikes at least, it might make sense to just use the BMW-labeled lubes sold by the dealers - even though they're ridiculously overpriced.

No..just use the recommended grades...ie. GL5..simple enough..

Def uses a GL5 from Wally World..adds some Moly..several of us use Amsoil Severe Gear..all with no problems and MANY MANY miles...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote