User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
lpfm1990 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
1994 klx 650c

Looking online, found a 94 650 c, street legal model, needs work, motor is in a box, and told it just needs a new crank, bike appears to be in good shape, would it be worth rebuilding? Or just keep on looking? Found a used crank for $100, just needs bearings, the guy is asking $800 for it, might be able to chew him down abit lower. Please let me know thoughts or ideas! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - let it snow finally
lpfm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
No.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfm1990 View Post
Looking online, found a 94 650 c, street legal model, needs work, motor is in a box, and told it just needs a new crank, bike appears to be in good shape, would it be worth rebuilding? Or just keep on looking? Found a used crank for $100, just needs bearings, the guy is asking $800 for it, might be able to chew him down abit lower. Please let me know thoughts or ideas! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - let it snow finally
Why buy a used crank? get a rod kit and put it in the crank in the engine to have a new bottom end.

If the bike has all the plastic in good shape and the wheels are good it is a decent buy in that if you tear it down and decide it isn't worth fixing, the parts can be sold on ebay and recoup your expenditure. Wheels are about $200 a set since it has the cush hub rear and the 300mm front brake rotor with them, the plastic in unbroken condition is worth money. The front forks can be sold for maybe $100 to a KLR owner or the like. The head if good is worth maybe 200-300 at auction. The cylinder is worth money since it can be used to do a big bore for an R rider.

A frame with title is worth something because someone could use it to make a KLX450 "legal" using the frame numbers and tag - skirting the law in a quasi-legal fashion. As long as the numbers match on the frame and title the bike is a "KLX650" with a KLX450 engnie.

As you see, you can get maybe $800 back. I'd certainly consider it if I could run into it. I'd try to redo the engine first though, depending on the physical condition of the bodywork and all. A complete rebuild to essentially a "new" KLX650 - not all bad if you truly want one. I would. Mine's been a great ride for the past 17 years and 45,000 miles. I need to tear it down to paint the frame and get it all ready to go another 45,000. The engine is plenty strong.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote