User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Compact Tents for Camping in the oz

Following my last thread about cots/mattresses I would like to raise another question which is, what tents do people use? I was going to post this in the other thread but wanted to keep them separate :)

I have been looking at the MSR hubba bubba but after doing some research and reviews all I seem to find is negative reviews? So was looking at the NEMO Morpho 2P, but it really is hard to understand how they can have 10-20 tents from one brand dont they all do the same thing?!?

I am looking for a tent that will fit in a pannier, be reasonably light weight and suit the majority of the weather down here, from those -3 degree nights to the 40 degree nights, whilst also being able to with stand strong winds and heavy rain... Am I dreaming or does a tent exist for this? :P
semaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 801
I don't know why you would be getting negative reviews about the Hubba, I've got one and can't really fault it. First used it at the Alpine with no problems from the cold. Roomy, light, freestanding. What more could you want?
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 415
I have a Hubba Hubba, Mutha Hubba and an Exped. Nothing wrong with the Hubba Hubba at all. Used it out in the Simpson and taking it to the Vic High Country next weekend. Fast, light, good quality. Full mesh inner so a bit cool and breazy in winter. Leave the fly off in summer and you have a full mesh bug dome. 1.6kg.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
I don't know why you would be getting negative reviews about the Hubba, I've got one and can't really fault it. First used it at the Alpine with no problems from the cold. Roomy, light, freestanding. What more could you want?
A lot of people were commenting on the water proof ability, the pole design wasn't as strong as the competition and over all design had a few down falls, that being said a lot of sites still put it reasonably high on the list

I was hoping to get some real feed back from fellow riders as well as ideas on what other tents people use :)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
AdventureDave
MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer: 664
A huge benefit of the Exped is being able to set up in the rain with no water going into the tent as the inner hangs from the outer frame.

Cheers

David
AdventureDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDave View Post
A huge benefit of the Exped is being able to set up in the rain with no water going into the tent as the inner hangs from the outer frame.

Cheers

David
What model is the exped or is there only 1?
Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaja2 View Post
Following my last thread about cots/mattresses I would like to raise another question which is, what tents do people use? I was going to post this in the other thread but wanted to keep them separate :)

I have been looking at the MSR hubba bubba but after doing some research and reviews all I seem to find is negative reviews? So was looking at the NEMO Morpho 2P, but it really is hard to understand how they can have 10-20 tents from one brand dont they all do the same thing?!?

I am looking for a tent that will fit in a pannier, be reasonably light weight and suit the majority of the weather down here, from those -3 degree nights to the 40 degree nights, whilst also being able to with stand strong winds and heavy rain... Am I dreaming or does a tent exist for this? :P
Don't buy a Nemo tent!! Single wall = condensation = wet inside tent...

I had a Nemo Morpho 2p, used it once in Tasmania and GAVE it away I was so disappointed with it..

Get a cheap tent... expensive tents are not worth it... Rather use the extra money on a good mattres

I now have this tent.. Eureka Spitfire, awesome tent for the money
http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-1-tent
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
AdventureDave
MMMMM Bundy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by semaja2 View Post
What model is the exped or is there only 1?
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf

I have a Venus 2 UL freestanding waterproof and very light. The Venus 3 and Orion and good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoong View Post

Get a cheap tent... expensive tents are not worth it... Rather use the extra money on a good mattres

http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-1-tent
A lot to be said for this. Buy a cheap tent or borrow one for a few outings - theres a good chance that what you think you want wont be what you need and you wont know that until you have had a few outings. Some little things will drive you crazy and some big problems you may be able to overlook, its all so relative to the user.

Cheers

David
Old 11-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
A lot to be said for this. Buy a cheap tent or borrow one for a few outings - theres a good chance that what you think you want wont be what you need and you wont know that until you have had a few outings. Some little things will drive you crazy and some big problems you may be able to overlook, its all so relative to the user.

Cheers

David
I actually have a cheap 1P tent from Hi-Country that cost me $80 and I bought it quickly as I was flying to Sydney to pick my bike up, it's served me well over the last year but it is a bit small sometimes and I burned a hole in it :p
Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #10
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,379
FWIW I bought a Hi Country Dargo a few years ago and it's worked really well for me. I travel light, but I can generally fit everything inside except my boots. (They go outside under the fly cos they stink! )
I reckon I paid 120 bucks from Aussie Disposals but they're 100 bucks now.

I've also had a much more expensive MSR tent, but it was too small and as I get older I need a bit more space.
Tony T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
AdventureDave
MMMMM Bundy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
but it was too small and as I get older I need a bit more space.
I agree completely and my other tent is one of these

http://redverz.com/

I like to be able to stand up to get changed some days.

Cheers

David
Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Cheers

David
Now that's genius!! Screw my idea ill just get that and put it on the back! :p I would be a bit worried that my bike would melt the tent if I set it up after a long day of riding :p
Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #13
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Reckon you're going to have to do your homework.

Pitfalls I found, most tents arent made for people much above 6 foot, if you wear all the gear your probably going to want a fair bit of room to stick it inside your tent. Some tents are a pain to put up and take down, if your claustrophobic choose wisely as door position and whether you can leave doors open in a mild shower can make a huge difference, steep walls are another big bonus.
Aussie Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #14
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Go cheap.....

Wild Country 2 [about $37 from memory] from Ray's Outdoors.

You probably won't find it as a current model as I bought it about three years ago, but you will find something similar for under $80 [prices vary and could be lower when on sale].

Look for a two man so you have room to "spread out" a little, mine has a small vestibule so I can leave muddy boots outside the tent but still under cover from the weather.

It can be used without the fly and then is just a mesh shelter from the insects while letting the air through for those really hot nights.

A tent can only keep out so much cold, a really good sleeping bag rated between minus 5 and minus 12 is where you should be spending the extra money you save on the tent [when you tear/burn/wreck the tent you won't be stressed and you just go buy another cheap one].

My tent, two self inflating mattresses, two sleeping bags, two tripod chairs, two self inflating pillows and a pair of Blundstone work boots are packed in the bag in this photo [for size comparison/reference, the top box is a Givi V46].

The bag leaning against the bike contains a full size camp chair that was also strapped on the bike.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #15
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:

Cheers

David
Maybe I should clarify....... more space for me means that I can keep me and my gear out of the rain.
There's no way you could stand up in a Hi Country Dargo. But it's light enough that I actually enjoy the ride as well as the camping bit.
Tony T is online now   Reply With Quote