Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #16
mudmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
You can buy reasonably priced tents from anaconda for less than 150 bucks that will fit in your panniers ,you don't have to spend 500 to get a waterproof and sturdy tent .
mudmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #17
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,432
Don't buy a Blackwolf Mantis.
They seem like good idea but are a bit of a pain to put up, very small and the pegs are made of platicine.

It packs nice and small and is light, but next time I'll be going for something that is basically free standing.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
FreckledAvenger
Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer: 85
I bought up a Marmot Limelight 2P when they were on sale in the US. It has been a great tent - it packs up small and is roomy enough inside for me and my gear. I have probably used it 60-70 times and it is still in excellent nick.

I also have a Eureka Mountain Lite 2 - it is slightly bigger and has two vestibules but is slightly heavier and packs a bit larger than the Marmot. It has sat virtually unused since I got the Marmot though ...

Mind you, I only just threw away my trusty "Big W" $32.98 2 man dome tent I bought in 1997 - it had not been used since buying the Mountain Lite 4-5 years ago. While I made a few "mods" to improve it but apart from getting some better tent pegs, no parts of it really failed. I must have used that tent 200+ times ...
FreckledAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
willows
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I use a OzTrail Backpacker, 2 man tent.
Plenty of room for 1 plus gear.
Sometimes throw a large fly tarp over it if I'm staying for a while.
Has side or end entrances.
Waterproof.
Very light, fits in a hard pannier.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Reckon you're going to have to do your homework.

Pitfalls I found, most tents arent made for people much above 6 foot, if you wear all the gear your probably going to want a fair bit of room to stick it inside your tent. Some tents are a pain to put up and take down, if your claustrophobic choose wisely as door position and whether you can leave doors open in a mild shower can make a huge difference, steep walls are another big bonus.
Very good point... at 6'3", very few 2 person tents I found are long enough. Bought a Momentum2 from torpedo7(about $80-$90 at the time) which was good. Front vestibule is a usable size.
However, due to it's shape (tapers off quite sharply) I needed a bit more space and bought a mckinley 2 person which is very light and has rectangular footprint, with front and rear vestibule areas. The down side is it's way too short for me. (oh the joys of buying off the internet!)
In the end I got a tent Kathmandu (though it wasn't cheap) but I'm happy with it. It's reasonably light and internal length is 230cm so I can actually stretch out a bit.

If both my wife and I are going away, then we'll take a 4man tent, so all our gear can go inside. However, this is a lot heavier, but we can split the gear between the 2 bikes.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
grogger123
fatbastard

Oddometer: 470
I have an MSR Hubba 1 man tent and a Blackwolf Dragonfly 2 man tent. The MSR has been a good very lightweight tent. It is the one I use when I am really trying to save weight. The Dragonfly is a heavier tent as there is more nylon and less fly mesh on the inner tent. It is a warmer tent in winter than the MSR. The MSR tents are taller and easier to sit up in than the Blackwolf. I like both of them. I use MSR ground hog stakes which are lightweight and very good in hard ground. With cheaper tents you tend to get a heavier and bulkier tent. If you want to cut the weight down, you have to pay more. I have used the Blackwolf in very heavy rain and wind and it stood up well. I would happily buy another MSR tent and another Blackwolf dragonfly. I would also look at the Mont Moondance range of tents. They are similar in design to the MSR tents but are Australian branded. (I dont know where they are made though),
grogger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #22
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
If I'm staying in one place for 2-3 nights I prefer the room in a 3-man dome tent, but for overnight camps I like the Darch 1-man, $80, 1.5 kgs w poles (got mine on ebay, hardly used, $40).

Some people say single skin tents get more condensation. Not in my experience, in the conditions/weather I've camped in, but maybe in some places.

EDIT: changed my mind after a recent camp in hot, humid, calm conditions. No breeze to disperse water vapour. Had a very wet tent in the morning even with all flaps open. BTW, I don't think there's much air-flow through the mozzie-mesh even at the best of times.

This shot from recent ride shows you can store a bit of gear under the flap, and could cook there in the rain.

I have more about condensation and types of tents on my webpage HERE.

Cheers,
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff

Steve_C screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 10:55 PM
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #23
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogger123 View Post
I have an MSR Hubba 1 man tent and a Blackwolf Dragonfly 2 man tent. The MSR has been a good very lightweight tent. It is the one I use when I am really trying to save weight. The Dragonfly is a heavier tent as there is more nylon and less fly mesh on the inner tent. It is a warmer tent in winter than the MSR. The MSR tents are taller and easier to sit up in than the Blackwolf. I like both of them. I use MSR ground hog stakes which are lightweight and very good in hard ground. With cheaper tents you tend to get a heavier and bulkier tent. If you want to cut the weight down, you have to pay more. I have used the Blackwolf in very heavy rain and wind and it stood up well. I would happily buy another MSR tent and another Blackwolf dragonfly. I would also look at the Mont Moondance range of tents. They are similar in design to the MSR tents but are Australian branded. (I dont know where they are made though),
Mont Moondance tent for $400!!! Forget it! over priced!
http://www.bogong.com.au/tents-2/ten...ce-1-tent.html

A cheap tent is the way to go... Anything over a $100 is not worth it IMO.
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #24
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
Question Depends....

Mate, you might find that you may need a couple tents. I've had a Hi-Country tent for more than 10 years. It may have cost $99(?), it's fine, I've used it dozens of times & leant to to mates lots as well. Not the most compact tent though. You may always want to get heavier pegs (that actually go in the ground instead of bending.

I've also got a gore-tex bivvy, which packs down to almost nothing, which I use on it's own or under a lightweight hiker tarp. It's great if travelling light is your priority.

I would love a Redverz tent when funds allow...

Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #25
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Ive got a brand new Nemo Losi 2 Ive never used still has the tags on if Interested .
There a good tent , freestanding , lightweight , vertical walls & lots of headroom & comes with the inside gear caddy
Decided to stick with my 1 man tent .

Pm me if Interested .

Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #26
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I went to look at tents today and I am leaning towards a Mont Firefly... except its brand new an ridiculously over priced!

http://www.soc.com.au/products/45985/11498500

The way I see it however is if I spent $100 on a tent and its crap then I have only my self to kick for it, if I spend $300+ then really it shouldn't be crap at all :P
semaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #27
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
The Mont will be a good tent but boy that would get hot , as it's all no seeum mesh , be good in winter thou .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #28
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale950 View Post
The Mont will be a good tent but boy that would get hot , as it's all no seeum mesh , be good in winter thou .
I've been told leaving the air vents open and the side doors open (leaving just a light mesh cover) will provide ample cooling, but I was also looking for a tent that will work well in -5 degrees and work in high winds on the tassie coast etc

I think I will have to put the tents to a side for now, and focus on a new sleeping bag and stop procrastinating the fixing of my bike shocks...
semaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #29
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,816
If you're gunna spend that much, I can't recommend the Exped Venus II highly enough. Very compact too - fits in my Steelpony soft bags. I've had cheaper and I've had more expensive tents, but this one is a keeper. Worked well up at Cape York in May this year.

Exped make a great sleeping bag and airmat too... but that's another thread (of yours)

http://www.bivouac.co.nz/exped-venus-ii-ul-tent.html Free shipping.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #30
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
If you can find it, try the "Asolo Ptarmigan 3 person"... By far the best tent I ever used on my long motorcycle trips
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote