Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #31
drikko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
When I want to go superlight I have one of these http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

At 6'2" tall it has more length to lie in than the 3 man tent I take in the car. I call it the tardis as it looks twice the size inside than out. Plenty of room inside for gear etc and totally rain proof.

It is single wall so yes you get some moisture inside on really cold nights, but at Warwick in winter it was just fine, a little bit of moisture but not much as it is very well ventilated all the way around.

The double version is even more roomier of course!

For a mattress these are awesome, on the same -4C night I didn't feel and cold from underneath at all. http://www.mainpeak.com.au/outdoor/s...t-ul-7-lw.html
Breville Sandwich Maker
Brisbane OZ
drikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #32
Reklaw59
Softroader

Oddometer: 235
I use one of these - http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/C...r-II-Hike-Tent
lightweight and compact, easy to put up, definately not a 2 man tent though.

The best tent I ever had was a Vango Force Ten, good quality tents worth a look - http://www.wildearth.com.au/brand/Va...FapDpgodM3IAOA
Reklaw59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #33
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Reckon you're going to have to do your homework.

Pitfalls I found, most tents arent made for people much above 6 foot, if you wear all the gear your probably going to want a fair bit of room to stick it inside your tent. Some tents are a pain to put up and take down, if your claustrophobic choose wisely as door position and whether you can leave doors open in a mild shower can make a huge difference, steep walls are another big bonus.
Hey Steve, try a tunnel tent for extra sleeping length, generally not freestanding but thats not always a problem plus they can have a big vestibule for gear. Or a three man freestanding will be a lot bigger inside. People have bikes and gear worth 10k-20k or more but wont spend more than $50 on a tent
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #34
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
Hey Steve, try a tunnel tent for extra sleeping length, generally not freestanding but thats not always a problem plus they can have a big vestibule for gear. Or a three man freestanding will be a lot bigger inside. People have bikes and gear worth 10k-20k or more but wont spend more than $50 on a tent
Thanks mate, have already found one that suits. My post was more about letting other people know before they end up buying as many tents as I did.

And no I didnt pay that much.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...perSpurUL32012
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #35
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,148
other than the Hubba have a look at the one planet goondie II

i "should" be getting one of the two next year........compact is good short tent poles are the real killer in packing them away

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #36
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Thanks mate, have already found one that suits. My post was more about letting other people know before they end up buying as many tents as I did.

And no I didnt pay that much.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...perSpurUL32012

WOW! $500 for a tent!

For that money I hope the tent serves you well.
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #37
duckslider
decelpoppin

Oddometer: 2,984
I have a $70 Aldi 2 female tent.It has front and back entry.........therefore female

vestibule front/back.use front access for entry/exit,and back access for pissin' outta!.......brilliant!

Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #38
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslider View Post
I have a $70 Aldi 2 female tent.It has front and back entry.........therefore female

vestibule front/back.use front access for entry/exit,and back access for pissin' outta!.......brilliant!

So wrong Front for entry, back for ablutions. Gold.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #39
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,704
I have a mountain Hardware 1 man hiking tent and al though I love its light weightedness (if thats a word) its 1.1 kgs

the vestibule is to small ad if it rains I end up with wet gear

I think Mick jones and BAD said it best :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-h8zs898lr4
If I had my time again - (Except I wouldn't do it all the same)

Id go for a lightweight 2 man so that I could store gear and be comfortable if the weather turns foul~!!

Yes Yes Delightful

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #40
Idratherberiding
my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
I have a mountain Hardware 1 man hiking tent and al though I love its light weightedness (if thats a word) its 1.1 kgs

the vestibule is to small ad if it rains I end up with wet gear

I think Mick jones and BAD said it best :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-h8zs898lr4
If I had my time again - (Except I wouldn't do it all the same)

Id go for a lightweight 2 man so that I could store gear and be comfortable if the weather turns foul~!!

Yes Yes Delightful
I also am more than happy with my Mtn Hardware tent, but mine is the two person version! It is almost as light as the 1 man hiking version, and pretty well bullet proof when it comes to foul weather. It is super roomy and could easily take another biker and their gear as well if required. I hunted around and bought it cheap 2nd hand, off a forum for a different outdoor sport...

I have found it excellent on extended trips, but I still prefer a bivvy bag for short 'dry weather trips' in the interest of keeping gear to a minimum in order to maximise the riding pleasure.

The hardest trips to cover well are the extended lightweight variety where more emphasis is put on carrying fuel and water, but enough bad weather can make a bivvy bag only journey in that situation, less enjoyable. There are some lightweight tarp style 'tents' available that make this option more viable...

I tend to think that you get what you pay for when it comes to tents, and on quite a few trips I have been one of those with a tent still standing, while most others around me have had theirs collapse under weight of snow, or howling gales/rain, so what price a good nights sleep?
I agree with others above who advocate getting good quality mats (exped etc), and sleeping bags for the same reason, as long days on a bike can wear you down over time without having hard nights too!
I've travelled a long way,…
~ and most of the roads weren't paved!
Idratherberiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #41
semaja2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
I have ordered the Nemo Losi 2P with the foot print and gear loft, the gear loft was one of the best features I have to say :p

Decided against the Mont Firefly because I won't be that close to storms and snow so the 4 season would be more annoying at other times (summer)

I also received my Exped SynMat 7 and Exped Large Pillow which I am quite pleased with and can't wait to take it all out :)

When I got the tent I also picked up a Sea to Summit TKII sleeping bag which should also be a nice upgrade

Now I have no reason to procrastinate the repairs on the bike it's self :(
semaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #42
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,704
Slight tangent but does anybody have any inside lines on a light weight 3 season bag for Aus ? Im looking for a little hiking bag not big!

Just for summer spring and autumn?

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #43
Idratherberiding
my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer: 244
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentil View Post
Slight tangent but does anybody have any inside lines on a light weight 3 season bag for Aus ? Im looking for a little hiking bag not big!

Just for summer spring and autumn?

There are a lot on the market and the usual caveats apply regarding material (ie down vs synthetic) for application. However, having said that I have three bags and vary between them depending on time of year.

Full winter = Fairydown Everest Mummy
(This bag is too hot for anything but full winter conditions, and I am a cold sleeper!).

Summer/Spring/Autumn = Snowgum Couloir
(I think it is rated to minus a couple of degrees, but it has a lot of versatility, due to being roomy, has a hood, and also having an independent foot zip to enable sleeping cooler when required. Excellent inside a bivvy bag!)

Summer only = Macpac ‘Inner sleeping bag’ ie a lightweight bag normally used inside a heavyweight mountaineering bag.
(This bag can be used by itself for hot trips, or when combined with the Couloir gives added versatility).

I use a silk inner sheet to keep the bags half sanitary!

The Couloir & Macpac & silk liner & exped mat & goretex bivvy bag & groundsheet(!), all fit inside a nylon bag (usual thing that sleeping bags pack into), about the size of a small football ~> which is excellent value for only taking up less than half of a single Andystrapz saddlebag.
I have used a synthetic Fairydown lightweight hikers sleeping-bag in the past, but it alone takes up the same amount of space as the whole (upgraded) kit combined! ... and without the versatility for a wide range of conditions.

Some might regard the kit described above as overkill, but my local riding area is the NSW/Vic alpine country from inland to the coast, and a week of backtrails there can encounter 38+ degree day/nights on the inland, sub zero temps at night at altitude, and hot humid nights on the coast, so I value the mix and match ability of my kit to cope in the varied conditions.

There are heaps of choices, but if you can get the couloir or anything similar (any brand), when the outdoor stores have a sale happening, then they can be an excellent value for money buy, and it is worth waiting for them. Full price was about $270 but I got mine for about half that...

I've travelled a long way,…
~ and most of the roads weren't paved!
Idratherberiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #44
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,592
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/...d-cycle-2-tent

Cheap, lightweight, waterproof.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #45
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer