Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #61
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Yeah, definitely a comfortable one person tent.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #62
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Yeah, definitely a comfortable one person tent.
Have you found yours waterproof in a decent downpour ?

Trying to decide if it's worth seam sealing or not.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #63
Andy_unaventurous
Lost but not fearful

Oddometer: 75
Good onya Rod, I bought a Tenere a couple of years ago, imported directly from USoA
I love it, not having to bend always is brilliant, I usually am on my own when I use it and its the TajMahal! I have let freezing hippies camp in my Garage one night, Gotta love em!
Its brilliant to be able to stand and pee in the night, discretely from the 'hidden ' side, and let face it after a night on the bundy (insert own favourite poison here) thats a frequentish experience
Enjoy your great adventure

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod1 View Post
Purchased second hand (erected 3 times only), the Nomad Tenere Tent, (Redverz) http://redverz.com/ , only a few weeks ago. Finally erected it last night in the back yard. Fantastic. Took me a while to work it out first time as the inner, outer and ground sheet were all seperate. Anyway, got it together and was 'wrapped'. What a good tent. I left all parts together and this will make for very quick erection next time. Whole thing was packed up in its bag in under 10 minutes and this was the first time. I expect both erection and dismantleing will be almost as quick as the 2 person MACPAC tents I have been using for 27 years as Lida and I bicycled our way around parts of the world. I have never had such a big tent, however, being able to stand in the Garage, or sit in my Kermit Chair, plus being able to store all panniers and even cook in the Garage space certainly adds a new dimention to camping. Definately room for Lida and I to sleep side by side with room to spare in the sleeping area. I have also upmarket'ed from a Thermorest to an Ultra Light Mesh Cot to finish my over 65 transformation and look forward to a 'Whole new world of Camping experiences'. I expect Lida will order her own Mesh Cot after the first night I sleep beside her in mine while she does it tough on a Thermorest!!! On the bicycle, I was always concerned about "the weight" of every thing we carried. Now, with the Wee and Lida's new Honda CB400, we are ready to ride again, only with the advantages of, experience, new gear and ...Motorcycles! A tent this size is not everyones cup of tea however it is about to change my life on the road in the most positive manner possible. Best Wishes. Rod
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #64
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
Have you found yours waterproof in a decent downpour ?

Trying to decide if it's worth seam sealing or not.
Only tried it under hosing and no leaks but seam sealing is probably worthwhile if you are in a rainy area.

Buy longer pegs too.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 AM   #65
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Only tried it under hosing and no leaks but seam sealing is probably worthwhile if you are in a rainy area.
Cheers for that.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #66
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Thanks for the advice guys, there seems to be a heap of good options out there. I flipped a coin and ordered the BW Wasp2. Will post some photos when it arrives
Muddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #67
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Hi guys
i also use a Nomad Tenere Tent when me and the bread knife go on trips and camping
Was in Austria in late August last year and it pissed down rain for 3 days and not a problem with the Nomad Tenere Tent..

when I tour by myself i use a MSR hubba hubba...easy to put up,, so I can get into the serious side of camping like
drinking.beer.

with tents
you get what you PAY FOR

reef
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #68
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Everyone wants to pay hundreds of dollars for a two man tent...

For $29 I have been using this for four years now.

Two man, plus vestibule for smelly/muddy/wet boots.
Shock cord poles, goes up in a couple of minutes, light and takes up less room than my self inflating Deluxe Roman Moon Mat.

My whole kit packs in a sports bag that I strap to the bike.

Tent, sleeping mat, tripod stool, sleeping bag, self inflating pillow, plus other odds and ends, is what I generally carry in it.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #69
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,104
Where does the satellite dish go?
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #70
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Whilst on the topic of compact tents, what about compact sleeping bags ?

Anyone got any tips for anything compact and reasonably priced ?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #71
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
Where does the satellite dish go?
The tripod folds down and gets strapped on to the pannier box.

I carry the dish strapped to my back.....like they do in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #72
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 152
Cool2

I don't know why people think cheap is good when you have to replace them after a short time. The zips bugger up, they don't keep you dry and allow heat to escape. I have a 2 person Mapac tent I bought in NZ in 1996. Has been through hail, major storms, snow & extreme heat in its lifetime. Its still going after all these years. Never leaked or let me down, Wont blow over in high winds. Cost me $600 NZ back then but has been faithful and reliable. Cheap is cheap, you get what you pay for. Any of the crap you buy at Anaconda or Rays outdoors these days is cheap chinese garbage.
Just my two bobs worth.
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #73
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:

my mountain designs bag is small light and to hot for summer but here its fantastic

http://www.mountaindesigns.com/store...ultra-500-sbag

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #74
rod1
Old Australian Bull

Oddometer: 90
Dirty 3, I couldnt agree more! You get what you pay for!!. My Macpac Eclipse 2 person tent, purchased about 1985, has done the East coast of Australia, 2 trips across Australia, a 'Lap' of the USA, Australia, Tasmania, Large parts of Europe, UK and Mexico, all by bicycle. Still performs as it should. Had the outer Zips replaced, 1 in Macon Georgia and 1 in Vienna. Only time it leaked was in Alabama when a Tornado touched down close by. (interesting experience...Lida and I sitting facing each other while the wind and rain forced both layers of the tent down upon us, no gaps.= no gap between layers and the water ran in..next morning still in almost shock we booked into the nearest motel..guess we had been lucky really)! I had had my eye on the Nomad Tenere for over a year when I came across one in as new condition secondhand. Lucky purchase and worth every cent. (plus I had to ride to Perthville to collect it). Interesting also to read Andy_Unadventurous's comments and Reefdog's view of the Nomad Tenere. I suspect it always rains in Austria, I know we certainly got rather wet at times.Anyway, as I said first post, I look forward to a whole new 'Luxury' camping experience from here on in although I wonder if I will ever have a need to 'park' the Wee in the Garage! Rod
rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #75
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:

Canvas tarp & wool army coat
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote