Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #76
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Pic with coffee cup for scale in summer this is all i take. In winter i add the army coat/blanket
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #77
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post
Pic with coffee cup for scale in summer this is all i take. In winter i add the army coat/blanket

How do you keep the mice out ?

I just can't sleep with the little bastards crawling all over me.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #78
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't worry about them {to drunk to care most the time}. But you could use it inside a tent. Goose/duck down sleeping bags are to hot for summer. I can go to sleep on top of it, if it gets cold i can get in it. Out the bush i can put my tools/parts on it, if i have to fix the bike. When it gets to dirty, or to many holes in it. I bin it & buy a new one, cheap as chips.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #79
Oldgirl
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Blackwolf Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Great thread!
I'm trying to decide on a sub $300 tent. So far it's down to the BWs above or possibly the Roman, though I suspect it's not long enough. Gee I wish the tent manufacturers would put a bit more detail in their specs...
I want:
- long enough for 6'3"
- freestanding
- quick to erect, I'm lazy
- 3kg or less
- reasonable insulation, I sleep cold
Any advice appreciated
We've just bought a heap of lightweight gear as we're looking to buy a couple of adventure tourers this year and we want to get an idea of the gear we'll need first. I decided on a cheap tent to start with and I found the Blackwolf Tanami 3ev for less than $100. It does weigh around 5 kilos but it's easy to put up (and take down) and we swapped the tent pegs for lightweight pegs to reduce the weight a bit. This is our setup:

My husband's 6'4" and he fits in the tent no worries at at. We've got the exped mats (goosedown) which are great for keeping the cold from seeping up from the ground.
Oldgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #80
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Gday Oldgirl that is the trick. If you can stop losing body heat to the ground, & out your head. You can sleep out the bush with F All in the way of gear.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #81
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

I should add. I am about as hard as a marshmallow, middle of winter down south, i will take this
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #82
Oldgirl
n00b

Quote:
I should add. I am about as hard as a marshmallow, middle of winter down south, i will take this
You're doing better than me peter. There's no way I'd sleep in that in the middle of winter down here! I am trying to harden up a bit though .You can't go past the goosedown mat and goosedown bag. Slept in them in low single digits in the Alpine area recently and had no probs with the cold at all. Now to test in below 0....
Oldgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #83
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgirl View Post
You're doing better than me peter. There's no way I'd sleep in that in the middle of winter down here! I am trying to harden up a bit though .You can't go past the goosedown mat and goosedown bag. Slept in them in low single digits in the Alpine area recently and had no probs with the cold at all. Now to test in below 0....
I take 2 goose down sleeping bags one inside the other, 2 closed cell foam mats, & a Rab bivvi bag snow camping. Toasty warm @ -12
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #84
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

pic of my snow kit

Rab, Kathmandu pathfinder,Marmont helium. Lot of $$$ but, i can camp anywhere with it. All packs down into a 15l drybag weighs buggar all.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #85
Oldgirl
n00b

Quote:
pic of my snow kit

Rab, Kathmandu pathfinder,Marmont helium. Lot of $$$ but, i can camp anywhere with it. All packs down into a 15l drybag weighs buggar all.
Those three together give a whole new meaning to the phrase 'mummy bag' . I've got the pathfinder - great bag.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #86
kaengurooo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I like this thread, good info!
I am not very happy with my $29 tent, but it lastet me for three nice trips but know I decided to go for a better one.
I am thinking about 1/ outerlimits Eclipse 2 for ($150), 2/ Mannagum Howqua3 for($190) or Wanderer POD Hikingtent 3 for $150!
Does anyone know anythink about these tents?
kaengurooo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #87
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaengurooo View Post
I like this thread, good info!
I am not very happy with my $29 tent, but it lastet me for three nice trips but know I decided to go for a better one.
I am thinking about 1/ outerlimits Eclipse 2 for ($150), 2/ Mannagum Howqua3 for($190) or Wanderer POD Hikingtent 3 for $150!
Does anyone know anythink about these tents?
G'day Klaus,

My $29 tent is still doing ok after 4+years.

Just did two weeks around Vic. over Christmas, hoping to chuck it on the back of the KLE again in a couple of weeks for a weekend away somewhere.

Also did an overnighter on the KLE down to Crookwell with some Stromtroopers before Christmas too.

Cheers,
Ock.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #88
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

My 2 cents most cheap tents don't breath. Even if it dosn't rain on the outside, it will rain on the inside of your tent. You could use one without the fly, to keep the bad things out , & sleep in somthing that will breath.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #89
kaengurooo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
My 2 cents most cheap tents don't breath. Even if it dosn't rain on the outside, it will rain on the inside of your tent. You could use one without the fly, to keep the bad things out , & sleep in somthing that will breath.
See Peter,
and that is why I decidet on a better Tent this time. In the summer it might not matter, but in the wintertime you got more water in the tent then outside the tent! Thats why I decided for a medium priced tent!
kaengurooo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #90
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Most maybe, but not all. My Ray's Camping tent (different name when I bought it, but equivalent to their Wild Country Spirit dome) cost me $39 around 8 years back.

Since then it has been used to walk the Overland Track (Tassie), taken all over Australia and from Russia to Italy on the bike, and used in rain, hail, wind, heat and snow conditions. It has breathable cotton sides and a a polyester fly so no problems breathing - never, ever, rained on the inside. Best thing is that it is dome tent and stays upright without pegs - I reckon it's been pegged down maybe half a dozen times out of the around 150-200 nights I've used it - so setup and packing is under 5 minutes.

I'm now finally looking to replace it as a couple of the poles have started to crack and the zip on the flyscreen is starting to jam. I figure I'll wait until Rays have their next sale before I bother though.