Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Gringo Greenwood OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Adventure Boots

Hi Kiwis

Anyone tell me what the best Adventure Boots in NZ are and where to get them from at the right price?
Gringo Greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
I really like Fly Stinger ATV boots. Cheap ($180) and have a good workboot like sole and you can walk in them.
No internal stiffening in the sole so they're flexible but not for those who stand a lot. Also not very waterproof and no extra protection added in.

I'm getting another pair...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Also consider the 3buckle Forma ATV.
Nice boot.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Bass
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
It seems to me that the requirements for an "adventure boot" are reasonable ankle support, but comfortable to walk in and with a sole that will handle variable terrain including wet and slippery river stones. Being water proof is probably desirable in NZ as well.
ATV boots fit this list but are uncommon and expensive.
Trials boots however also fit the list and are more available at better prices.
Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,339
I've gotta set of Stylmartin Active Trail boots:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=stylmartin

They are a trials style boot & are one of the more commonly available adv boots in NZ. I wouldn't use anything lighter duty for my style of adv riding but they still are good to walk in. The waterproofing is pretty shot now after 2 yrs.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,063
I've always used Moto-X Boots - currently a very nice pair of Gaernes.

I like the extra protection & the problem with Trials/Enduro boots is the sole, which tends to offer too much traction on gravel.

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
XF650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I'm with Oscar on this. Before I bought my current boots I spent way too much time researching adv boots on the interweb, including m/bike ankle injuries etc. I soon realised the obvious: the better the boot = the better the protection = MX type boots. The general consensus is:
- the boot should be strong enough to protect your lower leg from the weight of your (hot) bike lying on it.
- Should restrict the ankle from the sideways rotation (I think that's the bone break that leaves permanant damage?)
- Should be able to deflect sticks & branches from penetrating the boot
- Should protect from impact of rocks, raised curbs, dog bites (ha ha) etc

It's all been discussed in other boot threads but basically you get what you pay for. The Sidi Crossfires are rated very highly for safety and feature ankle pivots that still allow walking. Bloody expensive in NZ though ($800).
Depending where he's from, if Gringo wants the "safest" boots at the "best" price, he might find it cheaper to bring his boots with him?

XF650 screwed with this post 08-17-2009 at 02:11 PM
XF650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,418
Well, just to be different, I use my road boots cause they're waterproof and I hate getting wet feet....It's all fine as long as the rivers are lower than 300mm! Being an incredibly skilled rider I just try and avoid colliding with things, falling off or getting pinned under the bike, I have to admit with very little success so far.....

I have ridden with my MX boots before but didn't like the lack of feel and restriction on movement and decided to live with a bit less protection in exchange for dryness and feel. Obviously it depends where you are planning on riding, if I was doing anything difficult I would consider MX or Trials type boots.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
My road boots (Gaerne Aquatech's) have more ankle/heel protection than my Gaerne MX boots.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 885
Road boots

I always used road boots too until recently when my foot came out the side. The biggest problem with (my)road boots is if standing on the pegs a lot the sole isn't thick enough and my feet get real sore.

The lack of feel especially on the rear brake is why I never used my mx boots, but if I don't buckle up the strap where my foot pivots a lot of the feel/control comes back. Of course not all boots are he same.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Bass
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar
I've always used Moto-X Boots - currently a very nice pair of Gaernes.

I like the extra protection & the problem with Trials/Enduro boots is the sole, which tends to offer too much traction on gravel.
In a group of Bikers: -

Number of different opinions = number of Bikers, eh?

Part of adventure riding for me is to be able to go for a bit of a wander and looksee once I get there, where ever "there" may be and MX boots are a bitch to walk/clamber in, especially in slippery conditions
Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass
In a group of Bikers: -

Number of different opinions = number of Bikers, eh?

Part of adventure riding for me is to be able to go for a bit of a wander and looksee once I get there, where ever "there" may be and MX boots are a bitch to walk/clamber in, especially in slippery conditions
Walking and clambering is a real bitch with a broken ankle

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,566
I used Sidi Dicovery, but I am with Oscar on the MX Boots, this will be my next move. Mind you, with all that titanium in my tibia it may not matter
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #14
Underground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
I've gotta set of Stylmartin Active Trail boots:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=stylmartin

They are a trials style boot & are one of the more commonly available adv boots in NZ. I wouldn't use anything lighter duty for my style of adv riding but they still are good to walk in. The waterproofing is pretty shot now after 2 yrs.

Cheers
Clint
I've had the Stylmartins for a few years now , cant fault them I've walked many km's in them.
I gave them the waterproof test when I first bought them ,stood in the creek (200mm deep) while I drank a beer, not a drop of water ...sweet !
Like all 'waterproof' boots ,come year two they leak like a sieve, just put the bread bags on your feet.
Previously I'd been using my Gaerne mx boots (pronounced 'gay earnie' by the way) good strong boots , I like them ....but waterproof ? NO , and if you're going for a walk , take the bloody things off ,them's not walking boots.
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground
I
I gave them the waterproof test when I first bought them ,stood in the creek (200mm deep) while I drank a beer, not a drop of water ...sweet !
Like all 'waterproof' boots ,come year two they leak like a sieve, just put the bread bags on your feet.
Like all waterproof boots any water that goes in the top will stay in. And that's more than likely during a ride that involves a water crossing. It's swings and roundabouts.

The guy pushing is 2m tall.

The guy pulling was clever enough not to stall his bike in the deepest spot :-). The best way to keep your boots dry.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote