User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
scottser32 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
removing fairings from an R80RT

howya's lads new to the forum here, quick question for ya's how difficult would it be to remove the fairings from an 80RT, i know id have to get new lights and indicators so how difficult would it be to wire the new parts up.
cheers
scottser32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
I just did that to my R100R/T this past summer.Rather a long affair,not too difficult.Got some headlight "ears" and they went on without a hitch.Have yet to wire front turn signals,got some bar end signals from a german friend.Wouldnt want to re-install that fairing tho!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
boxerkuh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
This is really no big deal and is done all the time....removing, adding or changing the fairings.... I have done it myself.

I would suggest that you look for used parts, the only 2 things that you need are headlight ears and turn signal mounts. You can go with the "stock" or OEM look and see what you find out there...The parts are interchangeable so you find them all the time. Your wiring will transfer over. Or you can buy new stuff, custom parts for head light ears and turn signals... That is done all the time.

I would plan on a day.... In the morning to remove the fairing and the afternoon to mount the new head light ears and turn signals. But it all depends how confident you are....you may want to find OEM used parts and go to a tech day and get some assistance.

Good luck!
boxerkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,967
Or you could put the bike in storage for ten years when the style will be a return to full faired bikes. Everything goes in cycles.

Good luck with it. I've seen those after market headlight ears and I prefer the OEM ones.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
scottser32 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
cheers for the swift reply lads this seems like a quality forum, ill bite the bullet and probably get a faired one unless i can find an un-faired one cheers
scottser32 is offline   Reply With Quote