Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
D K OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
TE449 or EXC450 for a play bike in Baja?

Ive been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a RFS bike, but someone I know is selling a TE449 for a good price....

Whats a better bike for down here in Baja? I know the KTM has a better dealer network, but the husky is 6 years newer.

D
08 950SE for sale in SoCal
09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,680
TE449...........I cant see the advantage even if it was cheaper,KTM's are a proven bike with a huge aftermarket following. The 449 is BMW's attempt to salvage something out of their long drawn out designing and fixing of their 450 class bike.
Hard to add more gas on the Husky,no problem on the KTM.
Who really knows how long one of those 449's runs for?

449 is Probably cheap for a reason,heavy bikes and on the odd side according to everything Ive read about them.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
TE449...........I cant see the advantage even if it was cheaper,KTM's are a proven bike with a huge aftermarket following. The 449 is BMW's attempt to salvage something out of their long drawn out designing and fixing of their 450 class bike.
Hard to add more gas on the Husky,no problem on the KTM.
Who really knows how long one of those 449's runs for?

449 is Probably cheap for a reason,heavy bikes and on the odd side according to everything Ive read about them.
The current models of Husky TE 449 and KTM 450 EXC are within a couple of Kg's of each other so i am not sure where the "heavy" point came about.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
same weight.. fuel comment is a good point though.. no Safari tank for the TE449 or anything else that I can find. The Husky is certainly not BMW trying to salvage something from their 450.. find the 449 thread and read up on that thought process... im too lazy to type out all the fail in that statement.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
The current models of Husky TE 449 and KTM 450 EXC are within a couple of Kg's of each other so i am not sure where the "heavy" point came about.
Claimed weight and actual weighed by Dirt Bike's certified scales are two different things. I read the test between the bikes,Husky came out heavy. Not hugely so but I wouldnt be surprized to see a big redesign on the 449 before too long. I guess they have the clutch mounted on the crank working ok now,the swingarm pivot being the same as the center of countershaft is ok but hasnt proven to be any advantage,tank under seat is an oddity on a dirt bike anyways,people who have bought them will of course say they're the best thing since sliced bread,as always.

I am a certified KTM loon,been buying em since the late 70's so maybe not the best guy to ask on this stuff.

All 14 KTM's Ive had have worked great,now they're better then ever.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
same weight.. fuel comment is a good point though.. no Safari tank for the TE449 or anything else that I can find. The Husky is certainly not BMW trying to salvage something from their 450.. find the 449 thread and read up on that thought process... im too lazy to type out all the fail in that statement.
I remember David Knight riding the BMW for part of a season and saying forget it,Im done,so many problems it was unrideable at that level,there have been a few problems along the way with the BMW engine,its a weird harold settup and wont be copied by anyone anytime soon. I know for sure owners will say they're great,really too much competition in the marketplace to survive with that design.
They dont weigh the same as a KTM 450 or 500,Husky may say they do,but they dont.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
BMW quit selling their 450 rather abruptly,did they not? too odd,too expensive with no benefit,now Husky is stuck with that same engine people werent buying. Hard to see how that would set the world on fire with a different brand name on it.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
D K OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Thanks for talking me outmof the 449...

I have a 610 but thats an entirely different kettle of fish.

I think im steering towards a Berg actually after reading the lengthy threads and good reports after long rides.

Probably I will keep an eye out for a 570/450/390 and end up getting an older 2 stroke KTM for the tighter stuff.

Interesting to hear the feedback on the 449 though....
08 950SE for sale in SoCal
09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote