Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemuro View Post
@Moronic
Odd, it seems to have less power and torque (more important) than a st4s.
Nothing odd about that. The older Multis had the two-valve per cylinder engine, similar to the ST2; whereas the ST4s had the four-valve heads, which offer much better breathing - and I've heard it had great cams that worked down low as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #17
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
I've no experience on the ms, i've had 06 990adv since new, 63000 trouble free kms, despite the talk of how reliable, or not, the LC 8 is. There is also lot of talk of the Ducati having some issues. I've had couple of VFR's, 86 and 92 models. The VFR is a nice machine, if not bit bland. One bike nobody mentioned, is the Suzuki Bandit 1250, Beside's TDM, the most under estimated motorcycle on the planet, for the reason of not being as 'flashy' as some of the other's. They can be picked up fairly cheap as well, try one out, if you haven't already!
I had an 04 Multi 1000 for 4 years. GREAT fun bike. Plenty of power as mine had the remapped ECU and Termi exhaust. Even without, just go down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket and you have a wheelie monster that will lift the front while still leaned exiting turns.

Luggage is so so for quality, little flimsy. But the bike is a hoot to ride and solidly in your price range.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #18
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Aprilia Futura!!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
The MS is still on my very short list of bike's i would buy, despite the 'issues', i mean look at the issues the 990adv is supposed to have, and admittedly, early models certainly had their share of strife. Years ago i test rode Monster and St 3, and i was really impressed with the ST 3, not so much with the Monster, if there were used ones around those days, i would have bought one, instead i bought Vfr 750, not the same thing as Ducati, i know. The Fz1 was mentioned, i took one for a longish test, and while the handling was sharp and precise, with 150 hp at the turn of the wrist, i thought, this may be the one, it had no torque however, well at least in lower rev range, so that was that. When you are financially ' challenged' you'll have to think long and hard about what sort of a ride your hard earned money is getting you! The 990 SMR might not suit the OP, It's on my 'next buy' list though, as i wont be able to afford the new 1190, which i would buy in a blink of an eye!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,025
The Busa is everything you could want in a big sport bike. Throw a set of Corbin hard bags on and do some high speed touring. But..... As much as I love it, it is a 560lbs sport bike. And for me it isn't good two up ( for rider or pillion) lots of buffeting. But if you want a hooligan machine that makes everyone else jealous it's great. When I do long rides I ride my KTM. When I commute, I ride the KTM. And the only mechanical issue I have had was self induced
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,686
The number of bikes that can do 250km/h (over 150mph) that aren't "sportbikes" is vanishingly small. Hayabusa, CBR1100XX, ZX-12 or -14, which are at or above your noted weight limit. Those are probably the only bikes that are going to come close to fitting the speed, weight, and other limits you've insisted on.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #22
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Since this is close to what I was looking for when I bought the Multistrada (probably too down on horsepower for you) I'll give you my list.
1. Aprilia Futura (This bike is amazing, I still regret needing one but I hunted for one for sale with in 2k miles of me for a month)
2. Ducati Multistraa ST3, ST4; pretty much the same as the Futura but a little more maintenance. The ST2 is a lot of fun as well but it's only got about 80hp. (Same as my Multi which suits me just fine) It's plenty fast for me on public roads in the US.
3. Sprint ST, BMW R1100S, VFR 800 (6th gen). I really liked the Sprint 1050 but it felt like it took a lot of effort to steer. Engine is great. I really liked the Tiger 1050 because it felt similar but wide bars gave you lots of leverage. R1100S was suprisingly fun, easy maintenance, a little porky. You've done the VFR thing so we won't go.
4. Bandit 1200/1250; FZ-1, ZZR1200, V-strom 1000
I don't like I-4s. V-strom felt too much like a rolling couch.
That was pretty much my list in order of preference. I ended up with a Multistrada 1000 DS which I love to death and I think ended up being a much better bike for me.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,311
Is the Versys 1000 available in Romania?

Edit: missed the $5K budget (and the 150mph cruise).

Butters screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 03:40 AM
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Kawasaki Concours 14 2010 or newer to avoid heat issues.

2010 Concours 14
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbleside View Post
I'll give you my list.
1. Aprilia Futura (This bike is amazing, I still regret needing one but I hunted for one for sale with in 2k miles of me for a month)
I shipped mine from San Francisco to VT in '08...and very happy I did! There are some good Futuras out there. Always check the AF1 Racing Aprilia forum classifieds for good examples.
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #26
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
The number of bikes that can do 250km/h (over 150mph) that aren't "sportbikes" is vanishingly small. Hayabusa, CBR1100XX, ZX-12 or -14, which are at or above your noted weight limit. Those are probably the only bikes that are going to come close to fitting the speed, weight, and other limits you've insisted on.
+1
I can't think of a sport tourer (for 2 up) that is that fast and stable yet nimble and lite for traffic at slow speed.
Do you know the expression: having your cake and eating it too?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I shipped mine from San Francisco to VT in '08...and very happy I did! There are some good Futuras out there. Always check the AF1 Racing Aprilia forum classifieds for good examples.
Yeah.. I spent a month hunting for one in range, just misses a gorgeous blue 04 with 10k miles on it. Like it got bought the day before I got the check for my totaled monster. It was march so I was a little limited on where I could fly and ride from by weather and cost of tickets. Of course the day I came home with the Multistrada another one got posted to AF1 in SoCal for a decent price. At that point I had been borrowing a housemate's bike for 5 weeks, I really needed transportation bad.
I don't regret buying the Multistrada. I love it. It's a great bike but I still lust after the Futura.
Of course since then several have been for sale local but I'm broke and have an agreement with my roommates to only own 1 vehicle when I'm not working full time. So I'll continue to lust after them.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #28
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Triumph ST 1050

I owned one and it was a fun bike. Tons of power and nice torque, fast but not Busa fast. Geometry was comfortable but brakes were so so. I have to voice my agreement on the Futura and the Rotax engines. GREAT! But even my RSV was not fast enough to cruise at your 150 mph requirement. Are there that many areas in Romania where you can do that? To me the fun starts when I start to lean, but to each it's own.
Think about the ST, fast and agile in traffic and great 2 up. If you can do without the crazy speed go with the Ape or try an Adventure bike like a Tiger or a GS. You'll be surprised. I was.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #29
nemuro OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I believe I got all of the answers are needed, Thank you all for this and sorry for posting this thread in two sections. it was a mistake. See you this summer :).
nemuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #30
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
I owned one and it was a fun bike. Tons of power and nice torque, fast but not Busa fast. Geometry was comfortable but brakes were so so. I have to voice my agreement on the Futura and the Rotax engines. GREAT! But even my RSV was not fast enough to cruise at your 150 mph requirement. Are there that many areas in Romania where you can do that? To me the fun starts when I start to lean, but to each it's own.
Think about the ST, fast and agile in traffic and great 2 up. If you can do without the crazy speed go with the Ape or try an Adventure bike like a Tiger or a GS. You'll be surprised. I was.
Thats exactly right, as far as trying a DS bike. I've had enduro bikes, motocross, sport touring, and now a ds, 990adv, the last bike before 990 was the VFR. I was actually interested in Super Duke and Triumph street triple, couldn't get a test ride on the Triumph. I took the SD for a ride and i really liked it, except the lack of wind shield. I was walking out of the shop, when the sales bloke suggested, that i take the 990adv for a spin. Might as well, while i was there, after half an hour ride, that was it. Six years later, the grin is still there. If you only do blacktop, GS would be a good choice, i've ridden the GS few times, and it's well worth a look. Friend of mine has the 1090 Tiger, which is an other canditate, sound of that three cylinder motor is music to the ears!

I read the op's note, well, someone else may be iffy, as what to buy, this might be of help.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote