Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Way cool! Sportrider's test of the 'Busa got a low of 29 and a high of 34 mpg (US). Looks like they retuned it? I'm impressed!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
Oh, the sarcasm. The beautiful beautiful sarcasm.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
2013 black k1300s

dear forum

the bmw black 2013 k1300s is the most incredible sport touring bike ever manufactured in the history of two wheeled vehicles . unfortunately they are twenty grand usd . but bmw has topped everything in the sport tourer class with the k1300s . jay leno could afford one . i am going to sell my stamp collection to get mine .

doggrell3000
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
This has only one outcome!

http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product...scid=25&id=721

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemuro View Post
I know there are thousands of topics like this, but everyone thinks he has special needs and wants a topic of their own. I am no exception :).

Now here's what I am looking for in the next bike:

Here we go:

Runner-ups
1. Hayabusa (ridden one, love it but a bit large and hard to tip in corners. bet it becomes better as I learn more to ride it)
2. Kawasaki ZX-9 (it's a kaw, it's low tech, it's fast and nimble, hope a find a decent 2002+)

Considering:
CBR 1100 XX
Yamaha R1 (hate the position but love the looks and speed. considering major mods for ergonomics. handlebars, pegs, etc )
Kawasaki Z1000
Suzuki SV 1000 S
Bandit 1200
Yamaha FZ1s
Yamaha TDM 900
Hornet 900

What can you recommend based on what I seek? Helpful reviews of the bikes mentioned here is also very welcome.
Thank you!

My only ride report | IBA member | AMA member
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

Suzuki Katana 750 made through '06ish
Carbs, fuel gauge, 1 piece seat, non-chiropractic semi-sporting position, made for years (and cheap to fix), cheap to buy used, models made til '05 or so.
L4 power, the way you like it, without techno gadetry.
Tires are cheapity cheap cheap standardish sporty size (120/70/17 and 150/70/17)
Lots of low mileage models out there.

Downsides: Bodywork is 90's chic, old tech oil/air cooled motor, carbs tend to be substandard for modern riders, a tad gas thirsty
Not the coolest bike in the world with the bug eyes fairing.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suz...a_750_2005.php
That bike makes my eyes want to vomit. I'm sure its fine and reliable, and I know beauty is in the eye of the beerholder... but holy fack, Katanas are the king of ugly.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookTrout View Post
Whatever you do, don't get a Hayabusa.

I bought a 2007 in March of this year. I've only been able to put about 7000 miles on it so far, on trips to barely 9 of the 11 western states. The storage under the hump/seat is minimal. All I can fit in there is a multimeter, tire plug kit, electric compressor, jumper cables, electrical tape, fuses, factory took kit, craftsman ball-end allen set, vice grips, spare wire, screwdrivers, rags, a flashlight, extra gloves, and spare straps. In order to make it tolerable, I had to install heli-bars, a used Corbin seat, and a ZGST shield. This set me back almost $300. The fuel range is ridiculous. I can barely get to 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on, at which point I only have another 1.5 gallons. Mileage is pure suckage. If I travel at 90 mph, I barely get 46 mpg. If I'm on mountain roads where I average more like 60 mph, then I barely get into the mid-50's, with an all time high of 58 mpg. This is unacceptable for a bike that supposedly puts out 175 hp to the crank. Speaking of power, this thing is overrated. If I'm lazy, in 6th gear, going 60, it takes over 2 seconds to pass a car. I wish I had to down-shift more. They say it'll do 186, but I whacked it open once in the desert and barely got to 160 before I chickened out. It's not confidence inspiring at all. The worst thing is, in all my travels so far, I only met two other guys (in Buena Vista Colorado) on these torture machines. I could tell that their grins were totally painted on. I'd rather ride a bike that I see often, at every gas stop if possible... you know, like a Gold King! Speaking of torture, 600 miles is my daily record so far, but it wasn't bad, so I'm going to have to try harder to be more uncomfortable next year. One shouldn't be able to ride all day without discomfort. It's not right.

Well written! Makes me want a 'Busa

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #22
nemuro OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:

Fantastic writing. Thank you!

I believe I got all of the answers are needed, Thank you all for this and sorry for posting this thread in two sections. it was a mistake. See you this summer :).
nemuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #23
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I can't recommend any BMW, they just cost too much and break down too often. Parts are also ridiculously expensive. I don't see anything on your original list that would qualify as a "sport tourer", which I consider to be a class of bikes like the Kawasaki Concours, Yamaha FJR1300, and Honda ST1300. These bikes are big enough for long distance riding, have luggage so you can carry something along, and fairings to protect you from the wind blast. They have sporty ergonomics, but nothing crazy like a real sport bike, Which I have found, at age 53, to be impossible to ride. The big issues I have with these bikes are fuel injection and ABS, which I don't believe should be found on any motorcycle, though you can avoid that if you can find a last year model of the Concours 1000. It is also lighter and more comfortable than the Concours 1400.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #24
vulgar1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Check out the 6 Gen VFR. Hard bags available for long rides. Decent 2 up comfort for said long rides. When the bags are off the bike it is not hard to push through turns at all. I don't think it is too big for daily traffic maneuvering either. For the low end surge issue you need a PCIII or PCV ($300). Easy to add and heard nothing but positive remarks from people that have installed them.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I have been using my VFR800 for touring/commuting/fun for a year and love it. Are there better touring bikes? sure. Are there better sport bikes? sure. But this one makes a nice compromise between all of my requirements. Great jack of all trades bike. I would not hesitate to buy another one if something happened to this one.
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
...The big issues I have with these bikes are fuel injection and ABS, which I don't believe should be found on any motorcycle,.
Why? explain that to me, please. I beg you.

All falls I had and those of people I know (all falls related to locking some wheel) could have been avoided with abs, I kid you not. And EFI, common, it never fails and makes it SOO much simpler to cold start. It even works with a dead battery nowadays.

So I really want to know what arguments you are thinking of, really. Your statement just jaw dropping right now.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #26
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
That bike makes my eyes want to vomit. I'm sure its fine and reliable, and I know beauty is in the eye of the beerholder... but holy fack, Katanas are the king of ugly.
They are fugly, but the 750 does tick a lot of the boxes in this guy's list. I'm just trying to be helpful in mentioning this one, since no one else mentioned it in this or the other thread.

If you want pretty, you just have to spend more money.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,184
Quote:

I bought a 2007 in March of this year. I've only been able to put about 7000 miles on it so far, on trips to barely 9 of the 11 western states. The storage under the hump/seat is minimal. All I can fit in there is a multimeter, tire plug kit, electric compressor, jumper cables, electrical tape, fuses, factory took kit, craftsman ball-end allen set, vice grips, spare wire, screwdrivers, rags, a flashlight, extra gloves, and spare straps. In order to make it tolerable, I had to install heli-bars, a used Corbin seat, and a ZGST shield. This set me back almost $300. The fuel range is ridiculous. I can barely get to 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on, at which point I only have another 1.5 gallons. Mileage is pure suckage. If I travel at 90 mph, I barely get 46 mpg. If I'm on mountain roads where I average more like 60 mph, then I barely get into the mid-50's, with an all time high of 58 mpg. This is unacceptable for a bike that supposedly puts out 175 hp to the crank. Speaking of power, this thing is overrated. If I'm lazy, in 6th gear, going 60, it takes over 2 seconds to pass a car. I wish I had to down-shift more. They say it'll do 186, but I whacked it open once in the desert and barely got to 160 before I chickened out. It's not confidence inspiring at all. The worst thing is, in all my travels so far, I only met two other guys (in Buena Vista Colorado) on these torture machines. I could tell that their grins were totally painted on. I'd rather ride a bike that I see often, at every gas stop if possible... you know, like a Gold King! Speaking of torture, 600 miles is my daily record so far, but it wasn't bad, so I'm going to have to try harder to be more uncomfortable next year. One shouldn't be able to ride all day without discomfort. It's not right.

I agree. Hate mine. No fun at all.

(Edit: that's a purdy blue one ya got there...)

Edit again: I've gotten between about 40 and 50 mpg over the past 10k miles. 50 mpg if you're running with the traffic, down towards 40 if you're "making time".

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,662

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
ZS6AF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Honda VFR Vtec

Bought mine about 6 years ago . Put some decent 60 000 Km on in . It is not the lightest on fuel if u go over 160Km per hour ( Note The Vtec is then activated as its over 7000RPM) but if u go like a normal person it gives me a nice 17-18 km/liter. Range is 250 km which is about where my bum starts to itch and i need to scratch it.

Took it around Phakisa Raceway a few times , couldn't beat Valentino's time but then i ride very relaxed.

The electrical gave me a problem once , as i switch Brights /Pass on, the main fuse blew and the wire inside the BIG socket started to melt the casing cos of a weak connection getting hot. Did the sensible thing and rerouted a fused wire from battery directly to headlights via relays.

In slow traffic it heats up , i lowered the front oil cooler a bit so it catches some air and it improved it a bit.
My Knees gets a bit of heat which is bad in HOT South Africa summer and very welcome when it gets cold.
I am a short ass so i fit behind fairing and love cruising at 160Km/h, handles is a bit low for riding slow but as speed increases the wind lift reduce the mass on them cos its lifting u a bit up.

I don't lift , NEVER ,made a Seat cover and mounted topbox on it. otherwise it looks like a pizza delivery bike

At Phakisa Raceway

Top speed on GPS i got was 242Km/h which is very good. 0-100 about 4 secs but it eats tires if u do that every day.

I loved my KLE 500 , i had 2 but to small for touring

ZS6AF screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 10:30 AM Reason: photo added
ZS6AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Different results from similar engines.

I've been riding a long time now (40 years), and I'm an engineer, so I follow the technology. The V-4 motors have always been less fuel efficient (more thirsty) at all rpms than the I-4 engines, and I can't think of a reason why. In the post above, 17-18 km/l is 40-42 mpg US, is good for the VFR. Many never get above 38 mpg. Puzzling to me. The only other ST/ADV bikes that are this low are the very highly tuned motors of the KTM V-Twins. I did not think that the VFR's were that highly stressed (HP/l, HP/lb, HP curve on the dyno, richness on the fuel curve, A/F ratio). Although, the VFR-800 produces a little more specific power (HP/l) than the 'Bus - it's just a lot smaller motor.

A second post from a 'Busa owner getting between 40 and 50 mpg US is also very enlightening. Wow, that's great for that motor. The equvialent on the ZX-14 is MUCH lower - High 20's to Low 40's. The differences in how highly "stressed" the state of tune of the two motors just don't seem to be that different from my perspective (mathematically, they are very close). Is the FI tuning that different?

Many folks will say "its a motorcycle, who cares?". Well, I do. I want moderate to good economy from whatever class of motor I'm dealing with. I also want longer range for touring western States. Big tanks plus better mileage yields longer range.

Apparently, lots of experience doesn't equate to lots of knowledge or understanding. Educate me please. What is going on with the Honda V-4's? Why the economy difference between the 'Busa and the ZX-14?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote