ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
jedi_jer OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Hanover, On. Canada
Oddometer: 126
Sym Citycom 300i quick video I did.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y92Q3_PDjb4

jedi_jer screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 07:31 AM
jedi_jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer
 
gumshoe4's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 852
Very nice. Interesting machine. Looks a bit like the Kymco People 300 GTi.
__________________
Bob
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Very nice. Interesting machine. Looks a bit like the Kymco People 300 GTi.
You mean the Kymco resembles the Citycom since the Citycom has been around years before the Kymco. If they would give the Citycom 10mph higher top speed I would be all over it. SYM makes great bikes.

Edit: Jer, how come no viewing of the storage?
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer
 
gumshoe4's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 852
I guess my point was that they resemble one another. I'm not aware of the chronology, but thanks for clearing that up.
__________________
Bob
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: West coast British Columbia
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
You mean the Kymco resembles the Citycom since the Citycom has been around years before the Kymco. If they would give the Citycom 10mph higher top speed I would be all over it. SYM makes great bikes.

Edit: Jer, how come no viewing of the storage?
Here in Canada the 263cc Citycom 300 is around the same price as the 205cc GTI200. Performance is comparable. I'm tall, over six-four and I fit on both bikes, but I just fit on the GTi. It has a shorter wheelbase than the Citycom. For more normal sized people this shouldn't be an issue. The Kymco has a flat floor which is a big deal for many folks and no windshield which for many is the style they prefer. The Citycom has a good stock shield, better weather protection, more storage under seat and a forward mounted gas tank.

I could be happy with either bike for a general runabout. they are both good reliable durable bikes. For longer distance I prefer the Citycom for it's greater room and comfort. If you throw the 300 GTi into the mix it has the advantages of more power and ABS, which in my view is a biggie. It also costs more. SYM also makes comparable bikes that cost more and have more power and ABS, but they don't send them here. It would be nice to have the choice.

It WOULD be nice to have another 5 mph of comfortable cruising speed with the Citycom. I don't take mine over 7000 rpm which is the power peak. My well broken in example wants to go faster, but I would rather be conservative; not push it and have a zillion mile SYM. it's not a deal breaker.

What is a deal breaker for me is the lack of a windshield on the GTi, a gas tank even smaller than the Citycom's and an under seat filler. Having to unpack my bike every time I need gas when on the road would make me crazy. But for a city bike, no problem.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 2,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
Here in Canada the 263cc Citycom 300 is around the same price as the 205cc GTI200. Performance is comparable. I'm tall, over six-four and I fit on both bikes, but I just fit on the GTi. It has a shorter wheelbase than the Citycom. For more normal sized people this shouldn't be an issue. The Kymco has a flat floor which is a big deal for many folks and no windshield which for many is the style they prefer. The Citycom has a good stock shield, better weather protection, more storage under seat and a forward mounted gas tank.

I could be happy with either bike for a general runabout. they are both good reliable durable bikes. For longer distance I prefer the Citycom for it's greater room and comfort. If you throw the 300 GTi into the mix it has the advantages of more power and ABS, which in my view is a biggie. It also costs more. SYM also makes comparable bikes that cost more and have more power and ABS, but they don't send them here. It would be nice to have the choice.

It WOULD be nice to have another 5 mph of comfortable cruising speed with the Citycom. I don't take mine over 7000 rpm which is the power peak. My well broken in example wants to go faster, but I would rather be conservative; not push it and have a zillion mile SYM. it's not a deal breaker.

What is a deal breaker for me is the lack of a windshield on the GTi, a gas tank even smaller than the Citycom's and an under seat filler. Having to unpack my bike every time I need gas when on the road would make me crazy. But for a city bike, no problem.
Have you considered DR slider weights for lower cruise rpm and/or larger circumference tire to get higher top end? If she has the power, of course.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Very nice. Interesting machine. Looks a bit like the Kymco People 300 GTi.
Not really when you see them side by side.
Citycom looks more like a yamaha X-max/X-City mix.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Have you considered DR slider weights for lower cruise rpm and
+1

10% lighter Dr Pulley sliders will get it up to 60mph faster and beyond that speed
the revs will drop by a few hundred (was 500 on my DT300).

I used to travel at 6500 revs which is where the torque peak is and it was at 68-69mph,
and with the sliders I had 75mph at the same revs.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: West coast British Columbia
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Have you considered DR slider weights for lower cruise rpm and/or larger circumference tire to get higher top end? If she has the power, of course.
No, for a couple of reasons. The first one is that I'm a big guy: over six four and 250 lbs. Compared to the typical person in it's homeland, I'm a two up load all by myself. The second is that I live in the mountains of British Columbia.

Big hills are a fact of life. Reducing RPM's at highway speeds would just increase the strain on the engine. In fact, my bike still has original rollers and they look perfect, but I'm sure that there has been some wear over the last 20,000 miles. I notice that at highway speeds on the hills, the bike runs about 300 rpm's higher than it did when new. I know that even a small difference in gearing can make a big difference.

I do know that the bike now flies up hills that it used to struggle on. It's kind of:" If it ain't broke, don't fix it:)"

Also genuine Dr Pulley parts are not easy to get here. I'm not interested in inferior fakes.

Phipsd screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 07:42 PM Reason: My Riding: phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #10
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
No, for a couple of reasons. The first one is that I'm a big guy: over six four and 250 lbs. Compared to the typical person in it's homeland, I'm a two up load all by myself. The second is that I live in the mountains of British Columbia.
This is exactly why you SHOULD get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
Reducing RPM's at highway speeds would just increase the strain on the engine.
The revs will be reduced only at the last third or 1/4 of your top speed,
and not by much. If you think that the engine has less strain on it at 7500
revs as opposed to 7000 revs (with a 8000 redline, for example) I think
you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
In fact, my bike still has original rollers and they look perfect, but I'm sure that there has been some wear over the last 20,000 miles. I notice that at highway speeds on the hills, the bike runs about 300 rpm's higher than it did when new.
That's a loss of weight in the rollers, maybe you just got lucky and the wear
is even, but it usually isn't and it can damage your variator. 300 revs is a lot,
you're probably missing over 5% of the total weight in each roller, if not more. If you put the original weight rollers back in right now you'd wonder
where has the performance gone.

You could be closer to Dr Pulley revs now then stock (since they're higher
at lower speed, not lower).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
I do know that the bike now flies up hills that it used to struggle on. It's kind of:" If it ain't broke, don't fix it:)"
Again, because your weights got lighter with wear. It's exactly why people
buy Dr Pulley sliders. You can't put regular lighter rollers in or you'd have
your engine bouncing off the rev limiter at higher speeds, but not with sliders.

You're in for a big disappointment when you replace the rollers with the
original ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
Also genuine Dr Pulley parts are not easy to get here. I'm not interested in inferior fakes.
I got mine from a shot that's over 6000 miles from me for $10 worth of
shipping. https://www.buggypartsnw.com/ They were recommended by
Dr Pulley guys themselves when I asked where to get them since I know
there's a lot of fakes around. The other recommended site was
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/ in EU, but I ordered from USA even if
I was from EU, the guys at BuggyParts were great.

I probably ordered 5 or 6 sets from them, I used them in all of my scooters
and convinced some friends to get them too.

Not a single regret.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
jedi_jer OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Hanover, On. Canada
Oddometer: 126
Got out for an over 500KM ride on the CityCom. Mines all stock mechanically. Only mods are a rack, top box and battery tender. Love this thing. Amazing fuel economy. Finally have a gopro so starting to record some riding. Still working out mounts.


Hers a video of the most recent ride.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M-5uz3dHXs
__________________
Current Ride: 2009 Sym CityCom 300i

My Motorcycle related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/worntread

jedi_jer screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 07:32 AM
jedi_jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,550
The Citycom looks like a nice scooter. But I am also on the large side, and noticed the Citycom 300i only has a 364 pound load capacity, while the HD200 has a 396 pound load capacity. My Zuma 125 has almost as much load capacity as the Citycom. I can't find a load capacity on the People GTi300, but it has a bigger engine. Local OTD prices are very close, with the SYM being a couple hundred less. The People does not have a windshield, but does have a matching top box. Around here a windshield is mostly a bug catcher, though one does increase the top speed of my Zuma 125 by 5 mph.

On the open road (relatively flat road, less rpms are good to a point, but for climbing, the more the better. The only reason my Zuma 125 won't climb is because the CVT will not allow the engine to spin fast enough. I have checked it at full throttle road speed, about 8800 at 55 mph. Full throttle climbing a mountain at 20 mph (as fast as it will go) about 5600 rpm. And climbing a steep grade puts a lot more of a load on the engine than a level road does. If the rpms would go up to 8800 while climbing, it would do just fine. 8 hp is enough to climb anything with low enough gearing. If you ride in the mountains at all, I would definitely not suggest any modification that would lower the rpms.

Maybe since CVTs have such a limited gear range, they need a dual range setup, one for top speed, one for climbing.
__________________
2002 Vulcan 750 (now being slowly reassembled) 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
2012 Zuma 125, 1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Citycom looks like a nice scooter. But I am also on the large side, and noticed the Citycom 300i only has a 364 pound load capacity, while the HD200 has a 396 pound load capacity. My Zuma 125 has almost as much load capacity as the Citycom. I can't find a load capacity on the People GTi300, but it has a bigger engine. Local OTD prices are very close, with the SYM being a couple hundred less. The People does not have a windshield, but does have a matching top box. Around here a windshield is mostly a bug catcher, though one does increase the top speed of my Zuma 125 by 5 mph.

On the open road (relatively flat road, less rpms are good to a point, but for climbing, the more the better. The only reason my Zuma 125 won't climb is because the CVT will not allow the engine to spin fast enough. I have checked it at full throttle road speed, about 8800 at 55 mph. Full throttle climbing a mountain at 20 mph (as fast as it will go) about 5600 rpm. And climbing a steep grade puts a lot more of a load on the engine than a level road does. If the rpms would go up to 8800 while climbing, it would do just fine. 8 hp is enough to climb anything with low enough gearing. If you ride in the mountains at all, I would definitely not suggest any modification that would lower the rpms.

Maybe since CVTs have such a limited gear range, they need a dual range setup, one for top speed, one for climbing.
That's more or less why various aftermarket CVTs exist and Dr Pulley sliders
do about the same thing, more revs at WOT, less when cruising fast.

Moved up my scooter from 5500 to 6500 at WOT which made it go 75mph
in some places where it would bog down at 60mph.

Just make sure you go 10-15% lighter with the sliders then your stock rollers.

I ended up with both Malossi CVT AND Dr Pulley sliders, ended up with 7500
revs at WOT (500 from max power) and still had cruising revs lower then
stock bike.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
That's a loss of weight in the rollers, maybe you just got lucky and the wear
is even, but it usually isn't and it can damage your variator. 300 revs is a lot,
you're probably missing over 5% of the total weight in each roller, if not more. If you put the original weight rollers back in right now you'd wonder
where has the performance gone.

You could be closer to Dr Pulley revs now then stock (since they're higher
at lower speed, not lower).



Again, because your weights got lighter with wear. It's exactly why people
buy Dr Pulley sliders. You can't put regular lighter rollers in or you'd have
your engine bouncing off the rev limiter at higher speeds, but not with sliders.

You're in for a big disappointment when you replace the rollers with the
original ones.

Rollers don't get lighter as they wear. It is the metal parts that has the weight not the plastic sleeve. RPM increases cause the other parts of the drive wears, belt and variator mainly. Put in a new belt and variator with the same old rollers and you'll see your RPM back to what it was. If the plastic part does have wear then it can also change the RPM cause the diameter is smaller thus not openinghte variator up as much but the rollers will still weight the same on a gram scale.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #15
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Rollers don't get lighter as they wear.
As the shop I worked at was right next to a jewelry which had very good scales
I can say that the rollers definitely get lighter as they wear as I've checked this
many times.

1 gram missing from a 6-7g roller is A LOT when you're on a 50cc scooter.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014