User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Gham OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Thoughts on getting started

Last week I attended a Scottish Gate Trials event and although it was rather cold I still had a wonderful time just watching.
The event was attended by some 40 riders at all skill levels and on a huge variety of machines'.One of the older bikes was a 1981 Montesa 349 that has turned up for sale at a somewhat paltry sum of $800.It was ridden in the Expert class and performed admirably.Would this be a good entry level machine for an experienced motorcycle rider(although not at trials) or are they a frustrating money pit that can be difficult to keep performing at a level suitable for a beg/novice class rider.
I am tempted to grab it as a learning machine but experience tells me to save for a more modern bike that may quicken the learning curve.At the age of 55 I'm running low on seasons to dive into this and just would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

....and yes I did read Stings thread on getting started and found it very informative

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
You can learn the basics on the bike, but if riding with others on modern bikes it will not be as fun. Almost any bike with disc brakes and a monoshock rear would be better. Try to stay `95 or newer. The montesa was a great bike, but getting hard to find parts anymore. I would love to have that bike as it would be a match to my 200, but I`m searching for a newer twinshock.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Gham OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
You can learn the basics on the bike, but if riding with others on modern bikes it will not be as fun. Almost any bike with disc brakes and a monoshock rear would be better. Try to stay `95 or newer. The montesa was a great bike, but getting hard to find parts anymore. I would love to have that bike as it would be a match to my 200, but I`m searching for a newer twinshock.
Thank you for the advice,you pretty much nailed dead on what I will/would be doing and I was thinking along the same lines. I just kinda wanted some experienced opinion that I might be better served saving for awhile and purchasing something more modern

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote