Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 05:40 AM   #16
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_king_mick View Post
FYI, the Chevrolet Voltís engine DOES NOT directly drive the wheels.

An 111kW electric drive unit powers Voltís wheels at all times. Positioned under the hood next to the generator, it packages a pair of electric motors and a multi-mode transaxle with continuously variable capability. Unlike a conventional powertrain, there are no step gears within the unit, and no direct mechanical linkage from the engine through the drive unit to the wheels.

Inside the drive unit, one or both of the motors drives the vehicle based on performance and speed to optimise efficiency. One of the motors serves a dual function, either to help drive the wheels, or to operate as a generator to keep the battery pack at its minimum state of charge.

At higher loads and speeds, the second motor will activate as needed for efficiency. The Voltec propulsion system optimiser evaluates the best efficiency point hundreds of times per second.

It seamlessly switches from one-motor to two-motor operation to use as little energy as possible while still meeting the driverís needs.

Voltís extended driving range comes courtesy of a highly refined, 1.4 litre, 63 kW petrol generator that provides power to the electric motors.

Not to get in a pedantic argument, but I suppose it would depend on your definition of directly. The volt uses what is known as a power-split transmission, meaning that power can be sent in any number of directions from the engine, to and from multiple motors and ultimately to the wheels. While there is no "direct" physical connections to the wheels, at certain operational points the output of the engine can be directly coupled to the wheel output through a series of gears and clutches.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #17
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
The Volt's gas engine spins an alternator, as needed, that generates electricity in parallel with the battery pack to power the electric motors which propel the car.

That's why they have much more range and practicality than a pure electric like the Leaf and it's limited range.

You can be stuck on the side of the road in the Leaf with a discharged battery,

The Volt will get you to your destination by starting the gas engine and gererating electrical power to power the electric motors when the battery pack gets low or you reach a specific demand level as high speed requires.

TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40 View Post
Not to get in a pedantic argument, but I suppose it would depend on your definition of directly. The volt uses what is known as a power-split transmission, meaning that power can be sent in any number of directions from the engine, to and from multiple motors and ultimately to the wheels. While there is no "direct" physical connections to the wheels, at certain operational points the output of the engine can be directly coupled to the wheel output through a series of gears and clutches.
Well said. At higher speeds in charge sustaining mode i.e. running on gasoline, the engine is mechanically coupled to the wheels at speeds over 70 mph but it is also spinning the generator.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #19
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,818
How would the Volt perform in northern winter climates? Everyone up north knows how little cranking power a battery has on cold winter mornings. Does the cold affect the power available in a Volt battery? How about heat for the defroster and cabin area? Electric resistance coils draw a lot of power. Maybe the Volt is strictly a southern car.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_king_mick View Post
FYI, the Chevrolet Voltís engine DOES NOT directly drive the wheels.

An 111kW electric drive unit powers Voltís wheels at all times. Positioned under the hood next to the generator, it packages a pair of electric motors and a multi-mode transaxle with continuously variable capability. Unlike a conventional powertrain, there are no step gears within the unit, and no direct mechanical linkage from the engine through the drive unit to the wheels.

Inside the drive unit, one or both of the motors drives the vehicle based on performance and speed to optimise efficiency. One of the motors serves a dual function, either to help drive the wheels, or to operate as a generator to keep the battery pack at its minimum state of charge.

At higher loads and speeds, the second motor will activate as needed for efficiency. The Voltec propulsion system optimiser evaluates the best efficiency point hundreds of times per second.

Voltís extended driving range comes courtesy of a highly refined, 1.4 litre, 63 kW petrol generator that provides power to the electric motors.

Yes it does in certain situations, You said so yourself. It seamlessly switches from one-motor to two-motor operation to use as little energy as possible while still meeting the driverís needs.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
How would the Volt perform in northern winter climates? Everyone up north knows how little cranking power a battery has on cold winter mornings. Does the cold affect the power available in a Volt battery? How about heat for the defroster and cabin area? Electric resistance coils draw a lot of power. Maybe the Volt is strictly a southern car.
I don't know how much the range is reduce by lower or higher temperature. Lithium ion batteries perform better than lead acid at low temperature. The heater when running electrically also consumes more power. You can see how much on the display. You can configure it to heat up while plugged in which will save some battery capacity.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Whats your general im pression of the car, quality and concept?

I got to look for something else in the next couple of years. If I could cut my fuel it would be like a pay raise.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Whats your general im pression of the car, quality and concept?

I got to look for something else in the next couple of years. If I could cut my fuel it would be like a pay raise.
The interior is nice. Some people have criticized the use of less luxurious plastics for portions of the dash and other areas versus that softer rubberized stuff. It doesn't bother me. The body panel fit isn't as good as I'd expect. One of the doors needs adjustment to line up and there's a dust particle in the clear coat on the roof.

In a couple years you'll probably have a lot more options, the prices will be better and electric range greater.

Sitting in traffic isn't quite as bad when you know you're not burning gas. It uses about 500 watts stopped in traffic. Two hours of that seem to cost about $.15, one Kilowatt hour. I drove into work, about 13 miles and topped off the battery in about three hours.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I don't know how much the range is reduce by lower or higher temperature. Lithium ion batteries perform better than lead acid at low temperature. The heater when running electrically also consumes more power. You can see how much on the display. You can configure it to heat up while plugged in which will save some battery capacity.
My daily routine starting around this time of year, is to get up at 5:00am, start my Car and let it idle for 10 or 15 minutes to create enough heat to safely leave for work. I then have a 15 minute all highway, 60mph plus commute to work. My car has a V-8 but I still have to run the heater fan on high with the heat cranked all the way to work just to be comfortable and keep the windows clear.
I can see how the Volt will work for you, but electric cars just won't work anywhere that gets a real winter.
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
The interior is nice. Some people have criticized the use of less luxurious plastics for portions of the dash and other areas versus that softer rubberized stuff. It doesn't bother me. The body panel fit isn't as good as I'd expect. One of the doors needs adjustment to line up and there's a dust particle in the clear coat on the roof.

In a couple years you'll probably have a lot more options, the prices will be better and electric range greater.

Sitting in traffic isn't quite as bad when you know you're not burning gas. It uses about 500 watts stopped in traffic. Two hours of that seem to cost about $.15, one Kilowatt hour. I drove into work, about 13 miles and topped off the battery in about three hours.

Might be good for me, I'm not worried about luxury or it being exciting. I just want to get from point A to B as cheap as I can.

Thanks

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #26
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Might be good for me, I'm not worried about luxury or it being exciting. I just want to get from point A to B as cheap as I can.

Thanks
Then buy a piece of shit used Toyota Corolla for 3 grand, get 38 mpg, and invest the other 30 grand.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #27
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,177
Maybe BCC can chime in...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=chevy+volt

I wouldn't think you would have gotten a Volt unless it was made by Mercedes.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
The Volt's gas engine spins an alternator, as needed, that generates electricity in parallel with the battery pack to power the electric motors which propel the car.

That's why they have much more range and practicality than a pure electric like the Leaf and it's limited range.

You can be stuck on the side of the road in the Leaf with a discharged battery,

The Volt will get you to your destination by starting the gas engine and gererating electrical power to power the electric motors when the battery pack gets low or you reach a specific demand level as high speed requires.

Similar to a diesel train?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #29
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Similar to a diesel train?
Except that diesel-electric locomotives don't use batteries for propulsion and the engine is always on.

I, for some reason, thought the Volt was 100% electric, i.e., no gas engine at all.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Did they ever figure out why they would catch fire after a crash? Last I heard about it is a couple of the crash test cars went up in flames at random times (hours to days) after being crashed.

The Volt was originally being marketed as an electric car with a gas generator. It would have got all the federal electric car rebates. But the engineering leaked out that internal parts could not take high speeds without the gas engine running. So it changed from an extended range electric car into a plug in hybrid, and the federal rebated got reduced.

Sounds like the Volt has a similer enviromental control package that the Leaf does. You can preprogram it (or phone control it) to preheat or precool the cabin before you drive. As for electric cars being a southern only thing, they are selling the leaf in Canada. It looks like they can take on cold weather. I am sure if you let it sit stone cold, hop in the car and crank up the heater it will likely take a huge chunk off the range.
broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: