Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #46
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Just extrapolate!

You (roughly) lose 5% every 10 degrees in lower temps. Maybe more?

Starting at 75% @ 20-30F...

70% @ 10-20F

65% @ 0-10F

60% @ -10 to 0F

55% @ -20 to -10F

So, at -130 to -140F just stay home cause your range is 0% .
Now factor in the electric heater running constantly and I am willing to bet you will be using internal combustion alll winter long.
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #47
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Dealer View Post
Now factor in the electric heater running constantly and I am willing to bet you will be using internal combustion alll winter long.
Ha, probably true. My extrapolation may be totally wrong, who knows.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #48
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,804
Internal battery temps and outside temps are two very different things.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #49
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I don't know how much the range is reduce by lower or higher temperature. Lithium ion batteries perform better than lead acid at low temperature. The heater when running electrically also consumes more power. You can see how much on the display. You can configure it to heat up while plugged in which will save some battery capacity.
Not quite true. Read the link.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...78775304011115
“I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give.” -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #50
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyNinja View Post
I read the link, which is a one paragraph abstract of of some sort of scholarly paper. What is it telling me? That lower temperature reduces the capacity? I don't see a reference to lead acid if that's the issue.

In regard to cold temperature performance, I think I'm confusing it with a comparison with alkaline primary batteries. I remember all the threads about LiPo motorcycle batteries and their poor low temperature performance.

So, today I left the house with a fully charged battery and drove to S.F. playing with the XM Radio and stuff and not really paying attention to power conservation. ABout ten miles was on the freeway at about 60 mph.

The range prediction was about four miles less than usual. Outside temperature was about 50 degrees. After 10 miles the range increased a bit. Perhaps because the battery warmed up? I drove to Dolores Heights in the Mission which has a lot of steep hills. then I drove blah blah blah. 37 miles before the battery was drained. The gasoline engine started up about half a block from my garage.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #51
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Then buy a piece of shit used Toyota Corolla for 3 grand, get 38 mpg, and invest the other 30 grand.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #52
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,674
Quote:
Here's a chart with a rough guide to range versus temperature.

How would it do the other three months of the year?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #53
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
How would it do the other three months of the year?
Hell if I know. I'm not trying to sell the damn things. The S.F. Bay Area is probably one the better areas for the available electric vehicles. The temperature ranges between high 30's to low 90's during the year.

Don't you have to chip your car out of a block of ice every morning in Minnesota anyhow and in the summer, the mosquitos carry it away?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #54
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,674
Quote:
in the summer, the mosquitos carry it away?
State bird, doncha know
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #55
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oh, and then after I made a round trip in the Volt, I wound up riding the KTM back into the city. I finally checked the oil level after about 1000 miles and it is fine. The base gasket may be weeping, though. Actually, quietly sobbing could be more accurate. Not bawling, yet.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #56
Someday
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Did they ever figure out why they would catch fire after a crash? Last I heard about it is a couple of the crash test cars went up in flames at random times (hours to days) after being crashed.

The Volt was originally being marketed as an electric car with a gas generator. It would have got all the federal electric car rebates. But the engineering leaked out that internal parts could not take high speeds without the gas engine running. So it changed from an extended range electric car into a plug in hybrid, and the federal rebated got reduced.

Sounds like the Volt has a similer enviromental control package that the Leaf does. You can preprogram it (or phone control it) to preheat or precool the cabin before you drive. As for electric cars being a southern only thing, they are selling the leaf in Canada. It looks like they can take on cold weather. I am sure if you let it sit stone cold, hop in the car and crank up the heater it will likely take a huge chunk off the range.
Sorry, I'm late to this party. With regard to the fires, "...opened on November 25, the agency’s investigation has concluded that no discernible defect trend exists and that the vehicle modifications recently developed by General Motors reduce the potential for battery intrusion resulting from side impacts." The long and short is, NHTSA did NOT follow proper protocol by draining the battery after the crashes - as they drain gas after each crash test. The live current was at fault, and NHTSA accepted blame for that. GM however HAS modified the structure of the battery tray in the Volt to improve crash performance, and this is a free retrofit for all owners of early 2012-earlier models. There are NO valid reports of any Volts EVER catching fire in crashes outside the NHTSA lab.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...+Investigation

Second your statement about the federal tax credit being reduced is false. The Volt receives the same $7,500.00 tax credit it always has - same as Leaf and other pure EVs, by the way. http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/chevy...edit-form-8936 They all start to phase out based on sales - 200,000 units moved is when the credit gets chopped down. Despite record months lately, Chevy is nowhere near 200,000 units yet.

Love my Volt and here in NJ with 3-4 hour gas lines following Sandy, I was happier than hell bypassing those gas station lines.

My Volt Blog http://www.mklsportster.com/volt/voltchronicles.htm

-MKL
Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #57
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,156
Quote:

So, today I left the house with a fully charged battery and drove to S.F. playing with the XM Radio and stuff and not really paying attention to power conservation. ABout ten miles was on the freeway at about 60 mph.

The range prediction was about four miles less than usual. Outside temperature was about 50 degrees. After 10 miles the range increased a bit. Perhaps because the battery warmed up? I drove to Dolores Heights in the Mission which has a lot of steep hills. then I drove blah blah blah. 37 miles before the battery was drained. The gasoline engine started up about half a block from my garage.
This is the kind of real-world feedback I'm looking for - thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #58
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
The base gasket may be weeping, though. Actually, quietly sobbing could be more accurate. Not bawling, yet.
Fix it now, it goes from sobbing to projectile vomiting like a BSC, menopausal ex wife. Same applies to the cam follower bearings, when they go they just go so keep a close eye on valve clearances. Top speed? my 05 adventure has seen 100mph on the GPS with some more to go and that's with a tank full in the middle of an adventure ride, not in a speed trial.
Thanks for the volt info, an electric car is a possibility for my wife at some stage, it would suit her as a work vehicle.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #59
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,557
Here's a guy from SK posting about his ownership experience. Guess he recently had a 40*C experience:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....639#post212639

I'm betting the internal electric heater will work better than one that loses heat to an exposed engine block, etc. etc.

Plus, the engine can kick in, providing 'waste' heat of its own, along with excess electricity to boost the heating if needed.

I think a Leaf would be close to suicide on the open prairies in the winter. If you get stuck, there's no plan B there. With the volt there's a lot of heat in 9 gallons of gas, if you keep your tank full.

Works fine in Ohio... not Canadian grade winters, but the car was developed in Michigan, with some cold weather testing in BFE Ontario.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #60
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,469
How do you like driving it? is it sort of meh like the Impalas or is it a nice driving experience?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: