Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
i have used handle bar muff,s on my bike before and found they work well with heated grips but you will need to wear thinner gloves or your hands my not fit under the muff,s well/ plus cut holes in them to fit mirrors.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4lnutz View Post
I am looking for info on Gloves that will keep my hands warm in negative 30

I rode the other day with two pairs of gloves on at 70 mph and the weather just standing was 39 so the air on the bike was around -25 and my hands were numb I ride year around and at night this year so i was curious

what Gloves are out there that have stood the test of the weather.

electric gloves have terrible reviews so those are out!
read the -30 degree and did a double take... your op is somewhat confusing.

for 39f degree riding .. my preference is heated gloves with heated grips. pre-heated clothing days, used multi-layer gloves that nested into a mitten with separate index finger. I've done lots of riding without heated gear down to 20f degrees. rode an old 73 HD Superglide... let's just say, I was the only motorcycle on the road in those temps.

have not tried hippo hands yet... need to find the original hippo hands made by Craig Vetter.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,704
I used heated grips and snowmobile gloves. Hippo hands are a must if I go more than 20ish miles.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
So riding in 39 degree weather.

I noticed that riding 75 mph in 9 degree weather, with Olympia winter gloves on and grip warmers on high, my fingertips get painful after just 20 miles. In 39 degree weather I could ride for hours.

Keeping the wind off of your gloves (hippo hands, to some extent hand guards) helps a lot, so do electric gloves. I have heard great things about the Warm'nSafe gloves, as well as Gerbing G3 and T5.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
For a second I thought you were riding in actually cold weather, 39 degrees isn't very cold. I will 100% disagree with your remark about the heated gloves, they're amazing.

For my first season of winter commuting I used the tusk bar mitts, heated grips, and winter gloves. I've since switched to Gerbings T-5 heated gloves, sometimes my hands get too hot though...don't you hate that? Last winter I commuted 100 miles a day 5 days a week, temps dropped down to the single digits at times(not factoring in wind chill), and I was always comfortable.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 790
So below freezing I see no reason why you wouldn't want heated gloves. I've used them in cold weather for years and combined with heated grips and hippo hands my hands are never an issue.

Heated jacket liners work too as to foot beds and all that
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #22
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
NO standing or ambient air was around 39 I was travieling from one town to another and at 71 MPH it knocks the riding temp to around 0 to negative 25
-25!?!? I think you're being a bit...umm...well I can't think of a nice word so I won't say it.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/windchill/index.shtml there's a little calculator at the bottom. At 39 degreest and 71 mph windchill factor is 22 degrees.

I've always been cold blooded and I have no issues in the 30's with a heated jacket liner and heated glove liners. I had heated grips on my last bike and while they are better than nothing they didn't really keep my hands warm. I ride a naked bike with no wind protection.
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I wear snowmobile gloves this time of year and this morning it was mid 30's farenheit. Although they keep my hands reasonably warm in my 20 mile commute, they are a bit bulky. I have been thinking of trying hippo-hands that way I can wear my usual gloves underneath.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #24
Spiritwalker2222
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Get heated grips, at that temperature I'm usually running my heated grips at low(with summer gloves). Although I have bark busters that deflect the wind off my hands.
Spiritwalker2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
W4lnutz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Did you read that on the internet?

Mine are 12 years old and wonderful. The only time they failed to work was after a dog chewed on the cord... And that was an easy fix.

what brand do you have ??

I am open to suggestions and I weighed out the pros verses the cons on the actual people who bought them!
W4lnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
W4lnutz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham View Post
-25!?!? I think you're being a bit...umm...well I can't think of a nice word so I won't say it.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/windchill/index.shtml there's a little calculator at the bottom. At 39 degreest and 71 mph windchill factor is 22 degrees.

I've always been cold blooded and I have no issues in the 30's with a heated jacket liner and heated glove liners. I had heated grips on my last bike and while they are better than nothing they didn't really keep my hands warm. I ride a naked bike with no wind protection.

your opinion may very and I am actually okay with that the information provided did not incorporate the fact that I was traveling in the open air at 71 MPH and dealing with the standing air combined with the actual wind chill and creating my own wind chill be being propelled at 71 MPH by my Bike. NO I am not upset I actually enjoy conversations where we can disagree and still be friends or at least cool with each others opinions in a respective manner

I ride a 73 cb750 I call it the blue bomber http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...r/DSCN0288.jpg
W4lnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
what brand do you have ??

I am open to suggestions and I weighed out the pros verses the cons on the actual people who bought them!
My theory on people that buy heated gear is that 80% are wimps and snivelers and 20% are actually riders that use their gear. Thus the bad reviews. (too many sniveler types)

The gloves are Gerbings purchased in 2001. Heavy leather ones that have been discontinued. If they ever quit working I would not hesitate to buy a new pair.

As others have stated, Mits are better and Hippo Hand type of wind blocks work very well. Heated grips are good too.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,060
Prima-Loft and Gore-Tex. I wear my Riema snomobile gloves for late/early season riding. Nothing (short of heated) in the motorcycle world is comparable.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #29
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
but on a bike, you don't dress for the wind chill.
hmm as someone who has worked out of doors and ridden a motorcycle in temps to -35°F (ambient) and wind chills to -75° or colder that you most certainly do dress for wind chill if you want to stay alive and ride in cold weather for any amount of time

hypothermia is worse than alcohol intoxication, you don't have a clue that your stupid when hypothermic

depends on the temp, I'm good with my winter gloves (Reima) and heated grips down to about 20° on short rides, colder than that, I use Gerbings gloves AND heated grips, before I had the Gerbings, I used to rotate a couple pairs of winter gloves, every 20 minutes or so, stop switch gloves with the pair I'm keeping warm inside my heated jacket liner

I wanna get a set of Hippo Hands or similar, I have a set for a ATV, but they aren't big enuf to fit over the hand controls on my v-strom without interferring

when frigid cold, I seal all my seams with duct tape. leaks have a way of penetrating to the bare skin, -30 @ 75mph feels like getting poked with a needle that was just dipped in liquid nitrogen
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
I wear snowmobile gloves this time of year and this morning it was mid 30's farenheit. Although they keep my hands reasonably warm in my 20 mile commute, they are a bit bulky. I have been thinking of trying hippo-hands that way I can wear my usual gloves underneath.
THIS.
I wear snowmobile gloves as well. They are a bit bulky but they work. They are warm enough down to 35*. I rode to work (15 mile commute) the other morning, it was 26*, that's about the limit for unheated snowmobile gloves. By the time I got to work my hands were still perfectlyfunctional but they were getting cold and stiff pretty quick at that point.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote