User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
motorbaby OP
motrgrrl

Oddometer: 5
Question Therapy ride westbound NYC to SF

Eleven years ago, I was breathing the dust of the World Trade Center in my apartment in Brooklyn, NY. A few months later, i was too sick to work and lost my job. I received no unemployment, didn't apply, because I did not know how sick I was. It was months before going to the emergency room and being told I had chronic bronchitis. Other than a medical doctor, I did not seek help emotionally until 2011, ten years after 9-11. After a year of therapy through the Zadroga Act and the WTC Health Clinic, I'm faced with debilitating depression and realize I have to leave my home of 19 years in order to heal.

What better way to begin a new journey than a ride across the country to a new home in San Francisco?

The problem is how with low funds and a 13 pound dog on a raw diet?

The dog part I've got figured out. I will stock a day or 2 max of dog food at a time in air tight containers and mix her food from store bought meat and veggies. Heck, I'll make my own dinner from it. She has a nice little fur-lined bag, and I'll throw in a real fur to help her stay warm on cold rides.

Then there's budget. Can I make it across the country with a few hundred dollars raised from selling my crap? I will need to stop during the week to put in time at work, if I still have my job. I've thus far been able to work remotely from time to time. One trip across the country shouldn't prevent me from continuing. I would work 5 hours, and hit the road for 5. (The job is in limbo after announcing my move but not completely gone.)

Then I thought, wouldn't it be great to meet other riders along the way? Hence, this post.

The exact route isn't decided yet, mostly because I don't know what the temperatures will be at the end of December. I'll start the trip before January when it gets frigid in New York. Hopefully, I won't have to spend more than a few hours in sub 40-degree temperatures. I suppose I could scrape to buy some electric warmers or find some used. Offers? Suggestions?

Here's a map of a route via Baltimore and Memphis:

There's nothing more exciting to me (aside from being with new love) than a trek on a bike. Though I could use all the help I can get. I'll probably need help with my carburetors at some point as well. Finicky Suzuki GS carbs. Anyway, looking forward to making this trip happen. Aiming to leave on the Friday before Christmas.
motorbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
schneller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Hey, good luck with (all aspects of) your trip!

Just an observation/recommendation: I'd head further south sooner due to the temps of the season.
schneller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Good luck with the trip. Too bad you can't head out this weekend while the temps are higher.
There are a few threads on this forum about making your own heated liner. I just did mine this fall. Might want to check into that. I've got left over wire that was donated to me. PM me if you want me to send you some. The controller and battery harness was around $50. Cheap way to keep warm. Here's one link that's similar to what I did...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514532

As for finances it's gonna cost you $250 or so just for gas I'd guess. Check out the tent space thread for free places to crash.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
motorbaby OP
motrgrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Good luck with the trip. Too bad you can't head out this weekend while the temps are higher.
There are a few threads on this forum about making your own heated liner. I just did mine this fall. Might want to check into that. I've got left over wire that was donated to me. PM me if you want me to send you some. The controller and battery harness was around $50. Cheap way to keep warm. Here's one link that's similar to what I did...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514532

As for finances it's gonna cost you $250 or so just for gas I'd guess. Check out the tent space thread for free places to crash.
OMG This is awesome! Yes, please! I can thread the wire through a liner i have... I can PayPal you postage.
Thank you so much!!!

And thanks Schneller for your input. Will def consider.

MB
Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Got your PM and will send it out today. I left a PM for you, check it and get back to me if you can today before I mail this out.

Tom Waits
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Definitely get down to I-10 and even that may be cold once you get into west Texas.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
motorbaby OP
motrgrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Definitely get down to I-10 and even that may be cold once you get into west Texas.
UGH. I am nuts. Hey, that's why i'm here, right?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
motorbaby OP
motrgrrl

Change of route

After feedback and further review of the weather, looks like I'll head straight down 95 toward Atlanta, then cross over on 20, and then to the 10. Over Thanksgiving, rode 200 miles in 40-45 degree temperatures. Found an old fur coat in my parents' basement and started cutting it up. Wore it part of the way home. I'll turn it into a vest and wear it under my jacket. (Have an oversized jacket especially for stuffing bulky sweaters underneath.) Ride4321 was kind enough to send me wire to make a heater. I will make a floor heater for my dog's carrier, and if there's enough wire, something for my derriere. Hey that almost rhymes.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
Might wanna check out the tent space thread, it has worked for me once or twice. Also If you make it through Atlanta.....dinner is on me.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
motorbaby OP
motrgrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
Might wanna check out the tent space thread, it has worked for me once or twice. Also If you make it through Atlanta.....dinner is on me.
Thanks, Ghost!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #11
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Have you gotten your liner and dog heater wired up yet? We've got a couple of nice warm days here right now, hope you get a few of these when you're ready to hit the road.

Thanks for the book. Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 04:34 AM
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 244
Bear with me... this may be a long post for you.

I can entirely relate. I have serious PTSD and depression as well and have been working through those issues for half of my life. After thinking I had it whipped and working full time for over ten years from 1998 to 2008... the proverbial caca hit the fan in every imaginable way.

I lost my job from a lay off, got screwed up on my meds and had really really horrible flashbacks, etc. due to additional situation that was well beyond my control. It almost killed me.

After a year of struggle, things finally got back to some semblence of "normal"... WHATEVER THAT IS.

Got a great job in 2010. Again, had a lay off at the end of 2010... and finally came to my senses to get the hell out of dodge aka Wisconsin.

I took off on January 10 2011 to meet my bike in San Francisco and did the opposite of what you are doing now. Rode for ten weeks, heading east to NC and stayed with friends part-time, camped, etc. while doing interviews and job applications on-line.

Long and the short of it is this... the best medicine is living entirely in the moment and following your heart!!!

I applaud you to DO THIS WHILE YOU CAN. As with most chronic illness, you just never know when your entire life will be shut down by this sh*t... and, really, through no fault of your own.

I have tons more that I can say... but, maybe through PMs... if you want to chat that is cool...

Just grab the bull by the horns and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

You can do it! If I can do it, anyone can, believe me.

The only route planning you need is a general direction... however, I would make a suggestion... if you are going to hammer down 95, you can hook up with I 40 west in NC and head straight through Raleigh-Durham where I live. You can crash on my couch if you want to keep an eye on the weather and then blast up to the Dragon... hell I might even ride up that way with you.

Get the HEATED GEAR installed... it is a life saver. I rode hours and hours through 30 degree days in New Mexico... but only with the heated gear. The only thing that will really burn up your money is staying in cheap hotels as a last resort to freezing your arse off alone in a tent somewhere.

PM if you want a link to my trip or just to speak with someone who knows EXACTLY where you are at.
Believe me, you CAN have the time of your life after all the bullsh*t rips your life apart.

Cheers!

Charlotte

PS- I am a woman rider, so, nothing creepy about stopping by or getting advice... lol

HeyWhatever screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 09:43 AM
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

I'm glad to see a woman respond here. This thread should be getting more attention. I'm excited to see Motor doing this and maybe a bit envious as well. It takes Alpha Male guts to sell off everything and head out to a new place on the other side of the continent, especially in December. I'm hoping more will chime in and help this person along the way.

Tom Waits
Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Haven't heard a peep from the OP since I got her book in exchange for the heat wire. Are you still going? Inquiring minds want to know. If you are still planning on leaving tomorrow hold off, weather looks like crap. Good luck on the trip whenever you leave and be safe.

Tom Waits