ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #76
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Thanks guys I'm glad you liked them. Post up after you get a few rides in

rtadlock-Nice meeting you and still wishing I had your 500!! (Ill trade you a beat up WR450!)

I will be starting the process of adding tall sizes monday and modifing the pattern. I think by Januray I will have at least one or two tall sizes as well as an XL size.

Also we now have a facebook page (still working on it though) https://www.facebook.com/Dubinky, check it out and give us one of those thumbs ups (I think that is how it works anyway.............)

If anyone is interested in seeing the gear we are going to be at the VDR Harescramble this coming Sunday. I gave Pete several jerseys for the raffel so there will be plently of free stuff. Should be awsome weather.

Ben

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #77
Sunfire
I'm no n00b... :)

Oddometer: 162
Got my pants and they look great. I haven't tried them on yet, but I'll do it tomorrow if I decide to go to Johnson's Mesa (NM). Thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #78
Lovin' it Strom
Now low fat!

Oddometer: 2,477
Good timing, more or less.

I am shedding weight now trying to get fit. Wife has promised, as an award, when I hit my goal weight of 200 I get all new riding gear of my choice.

Hoping to see tall sizes here by then, these look great.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #79
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,634
I've had mine for a couple weeks, but no chance to try em out yet. I will say, though, just looking at them, the comments on quality are spot on. I intend to use these to replace the pants of my Rally 2 Pro suit. I think they are better the the Rally 2 Pro, just from observation. Looking forward to trying them out.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #80
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Montrose dealer

I told Morgan at Highland Cycles about this gear and he has placed an order so now they should be available to us on the western slope.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #81
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
I told Morgan at Highland Cycles about this gear and he has placed an order so now they should be available to us on the western slope.
Yep, Highland Cycles now has Dubinky Apparel in stock

Also check out the "crash" testing for the Colorado Pant! This was done to show the durability of the pant and it sustained 3 45mph crashes with only minor damage.

Westfest 2013

COXR650L screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 02:37 PM
Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #82
DigiSnap Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Just received my pair of pants. Medium... fits my waist fine (34"), and length is perfect for 5"9.
I like the vents... zips with mesh in front and behind the thighs. Plenty of pockets on the sides.
Material is stiff, but I suppose it's protective. High quality workmanship! I don't know how any profit can be made at this price.

A few comments though....

1) I still would prefer a lighter color, even white, over the black. White doesn't show the dust as much, and it's cooler in the sun.

2) The legs seem to be sized for stumps, rather than legs! I can literally pinch an easy 3" around the knees for instance (6" circumference larger than needed)! I'm happy to try them, but I sure would like them a lot more fitted. I feel like I'm walking around in a snowsuit, with nothing underneath. I suspect they will easily go over knee braces, with two sets of colorful leg warmers, and then knee pads on top.

3) Since they are so bulky, it doesn't seem practical to wear knee pads on the outside, and even if there were slide-in pockets for knee protection, the pants can rotate around the leg and render them useless. I guess I'll be sweating with knee pads against my skin. Hmm, I can pull them up to my thighs, so it looks like I can get in and out of knee pads without having to strip.

4) It would be nice to have a map pocket on the top of the leg (when sitting), with a zipper oriented to be used when sitting.

5) I'd pay way more for a set of pants that had good integral knee pads and hip pads. Dealing with knee pads is a hassle. The material could be thinner and softer in a lot of areas... I'm guessing most damage is done at the joints, and I'd MUCH rather have a cooler set of pants than warmer. It's easy to throw on a pair of rain pants if I get cold, but honestly, I'll wear very different clothing if I know it's going to be cold.

All the best,

Mark
DigiSnap Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #83
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the order and the honest opinion. If you dont think the pants will work for you there is a 15 day no questions asked return policy Clothing is one of those things that one style or size will not work for everyones body type, style preference etc. I went into this accepting that.

But I'd like the chance to address a few of your concerns. Just a quick question, have you ridden in them yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSnap Mark View Post
Just received my pair of pants. Medium... fits my waist fine (34"), and length is perfect for 5"9.
I like the vents... zips with mesh in front and behind the thighs. Plenty of pockets on the sides.
Material is stiff, but I suppose it's protective. High quality workmanship! I don't know how any profit can be made at this price.

A few comments though....

1) I still would prefer a lighter color, even white, over the black. White doesn't show the dust as much, and it's cooler in the sun.
Point taken

2) The legs seem to be sized for stumps, rather than legs! I can literally pinch an easy 3" around the knees for instance (6" circumference larger than needed)! I'm happy to try them, but I sure would like them a lot more fitted. I feel like I'm walking around in a snowsuit, with nothing underneath. I suspect they will easily go over knee braces, with two sets of colorful leg warmers, and then knee pads on top.
They are riding pants and designed to be used while riding, specifically enduro and dual sport. With this kind of riding there needs to be room for movement and also for pads/braces. But you millage may vary!

3) Since they are so bulky, it doesn't seem practical to wear knee pads on the outside, and even if there were slide-in pockets for knee protection, the pants can rotate around the leg and render them useless. I guess I'll be sweating with knee pads against my skin. Hmm, I can pull them up to my thighs, so it looks like I can get in and out of knee pads without having to strip.
No I dont immagine knee pads on the outside would work to well

They are designed as an over the boot pant and can accommodate pads/braces inside. Hopefully after the first of the year we will have an option for CE knee and hip armor. That being said there is NO substitute to the protection provided by a knee pad made of hard plastic with padding on the back that is strapped to your leg.

If you fall with any kind of insertable pad that is not strapped to your leg it will move and it will not provided the same level of protection as something strapped to your leg. Sure it feels nice kneeling down, but the second you fall and it hits the ground with both vertical and horizonal movement it will shift and not be nearly as efficient. The only exception to this is equipment for street apparel that can be much tighter because you don't move and change positions nearly as much

4) It would be nice to have a map pocket on the top of the leg (when sitting), with a zipper oriented to be used when sitting.I agree and will look into it

5) I'd pay way more for a set of pants that had good integral knee pads and hip pads. Dealing with knee pads is a hassle. The material could be thinner and softer in a lot of areas... I'm guessing most damage is done at the joints, and I'd MUCH rather have a cooler set of pants than warmer. It's easy to throw on a pair of rain pants if I get cold, but honestly, I'll wear very different clothing if I know it's going to be cold.
The next design will probably have an option for internal padding, and yes it will cost more The pants are designed to be durable and there is a reason I used some of the heaviest fabric available in MC clothing. Trail riders that are blowing out several pants a season will appreciate this and so will road riders when they are sliding down the street during a crash. They are not jeans and there is a trade off for that protection and durability, see the above video when they were thrown out the back of a truck 3 times at 45MPH. Try that will a pair of pants made of a lighter fabric. These pants are both cooler and warmer, while still providing superior protection.

All the best,

Mark
I appreciate the feedback and will look at some of the issues you brought up.

Ben

Westfest 2013
Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #84
RockyMtnScotsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoV-Strom View Post
on the longer sizes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayscale1 View Post
Would also love to see tall sizes.

agree - like 34w x 36L

Quote:

yep, light gray or sand would be great - I like black but it does get hot

Quote:

5) I'd pay way more for a set of pants that had good integral knee pads and hip pads.
I guess I'm just the opposite - rather have good knee pad strapped directly to my knees so they don't move (and then have enough room to wear the pants over them) when I roll off the bike

Very nice looking pants though!!
1973 Moto Guzzi 850 El Dorado
2005 Honda CRF230F (wife's bike)
RockyMtnScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #85
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
agree - like 34w x 36L

yep, light gray or sand would be great - I like black but it does get hot

I guess I'm just the opposite - rather have good knee pad strapped directly to my knees so they don't move (and then have enough room to wear the pants over them) when I roll off the bike

Very nice looking pants though!!

"Long" mediums are done and ready for production. I need to sell a few more to get the money for the next round though.

Westfest 2013
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #86
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
New Product

Ummm----Made in the good old USofA, leather on the hot pipes melt nylon side
Vents with zippers. Well given I've melted my share of riding pants and the black matches two of my current jackets these will find there way to my Christmas list
I saw a vote for white--if you hit the ground as much as I do white just does not work for me--dark colors please at least from this rider
Room for knee pads--yep a big plus for me--see sentence above on hitting the ground.
Good luck with the project and hope the sales go well.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #87
DigiSnap Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I haven't ridden with them yet... wouldn't want to get them dirty until I make a final decision. I've got another pair of pants from another vendor coming, and want to make sure I think it through before returning yours.

My background is street... probably 150K miles on several bikes (GPZ550 - most fun ever), Concours (did someone say power-slide while loaded with camping gear?). Gear is on and off multiple times a day, lots of walking from bike to office, store, etc. I have a 15 year old Aerostitch suit for this, and love it.

The last 5 years though I've moved to dual-sport (KLX250s), mostly trails and forest roads.The pants I use currently for this fit great at the hips and waist, have no vents, are black, soft material, and are huge at the boots. I can wear knee pads under or over given the flexible material, and there are some small (for show) hip pads. I think the legs are way over sized for even moto boots, as I think are yours. I've had rashes from jackets flapping in the wind for hours on end, and am very sensitive to gear that doesn't fit well.

Personally I hate knee pads, even through I'm an ATGATT guy... hot and sweaty, and a pain to put on and off several times a day. I'd so love to have the pads integrated, which I agree, means the pants need to be tight at the knees, possibly with a nice soft material to flex when vigorously dismounting, and external velcro straps. I've no idea how many people actually use knee braces, so maybe I'm a smaller part of the demographic, but I don't think so.

Thinking out of the box here... why do we need pants to go over the boot, all the way down past the ankle? If I'm in dirt mode, and wearing moto boots, I'd rather have the pants short (knickers?), and tuck a thin fabric into the boot top. Let's get real, If I'm in dirt mode, it's probably a nice day out. Have less out there to snag on the bushes, attract dust, brush against the header and insulate the boot in the heat. When riding to the store from home, I'll generally be wearing lighter boots, and a more fitted zip-off leg would look nice. If I'm on a longer trip, I'll be in my Aerostitch.

I've accepted that I'm not likely to find anything to meet all my needs, and perhaps what I am looking for doesn't exist, expect maybe in a $1K adventure suit. On the other hand, I'm a product designer myself and always want to optimize everything I buy! I'm tickled that you are local, and want to support your efforts!
DigiSnap Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #88
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,750
Quote:
I think the legs are way over sized for even moto boots
Really? I wish they were slightly larger as they sometimes get hung up on my boots, but I have big feet.

I do a lot of technical trail riding and have been out twice with someone who has hit their knee on a rock without wearing knee pads and it was scary both times. It also took a long time to get the rider back on their bike and moving again. I can't ever see using built-in knee pads, but there is probably a large segment here on ADV that would like that. I have to agree, knee pads are irritating, but they're worth their weight in gold when you smack a big rock.

Just so you know, there are pants that tuck into your boot (MX style pants) and there are also ones that the bottoms zip off of, and there are even ones that are just long shorts (trials pants).
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #89
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
If I'm in dirt mode, it's probably a nice day out.
You're evidentially not riding with many of the wackjobs on this forum then.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #90
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Especially you

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
You're evidentially not riding with many of the wackjobs on this forum then.

Westfest 2013