Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #166
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Older CR pegs are 8mm and 8mm not 12mm. We are talking about the BOLT diameter not the head/wrench size right? And they are threaded into just aluminum...not a ton of tensil in that. I personally thing that pic of the ktmklx sanjoh posted is more than enough for average NON triple jumping stuff. JMHO though, and I have been called an idiot....no savant attached to it.

If you are cantilevering the peg mount very far down and forward, especially down, then yes I would add a gusset maybe at a 45* angle back up under to the frame, or if it is a clear shot, then all the way accross to the other peg even to balance out load.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #167
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,491
Nothing major although I got my new-to-me KTM 640 low fender. I need to make some custom brackets to be able to bolt it to the RFS forklegs and also to raise it up slightly over stock. I dig the look should be sweet with the rally fairing.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #168
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Older CR pegs are 8mm and 8mm not 12mm. We are talking about the BOLT diameter not the head/wrench size right? And they are threaded into just aluminum...not a ton of tensil in that. I personally thing that pic of the ktmklx sanjoh posted is more than enough for average NON triple jumping stuff. JMHO though, and I have been called an idiot....no savant attached to it.

If you are cantilevering the peg mount very far down and forward, especially down, then yes I would add a gusset maybe at a 45* angle back up under to the frame, or if it is a clear shot, then all the way accross to the other peg even to balance out load.

12mm bolt diameter but its probably moot because sailah likes to join stuff with molten liquid metal. We just need to sit back and see what he comes up with when he gets to that point

I like the idea of joining the pegs under the cradle though....

centerstand might be nice, too... just kidding
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #169
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Holy crap You guys are pushing your luck

I'm going to weld mine, bolts be damned, anyone else is free to do whatever the hell they want.

Nessmuk
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #170
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Question: Maybe i missed any discussion on this - but i see you have a Braking front brake caliper on this. Is this the 32mm 2-piston version? And if so, how do you like how it works? I think the stock KTM Brembo's are 28mm, so i would think this is a better caliper for the bigger bikes with single front discs.

Im liking this build! Very creative.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #171
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Jim,

It's a 320 rotor, caliper and master cylinder from Braking, bought it used from someone in the FM who had it on a 640 Adventure. I had this on my CBR600 build which I only put 200ish miles on so no long term report. I will say it works incredibly well. One finger could easily throw you over the bars, will make a front knob squirm under heavy braking.

I have the weirdest leak from the master cylinder, it has this one tiny wet spot under the pivot (that sounded really bad). It never gets to the point where it drips, fluid stays the same. I wonder if it is some residual fluid caught between the two seals? Anyways getting a rebuild kit had to come form Italy and was stupid expensive for a couple seals.

I had never had a really nice brake setup other than Brembos but these 320mm rotors with the correct master cylinder are impressive.

BTW, I hate to say I am biased but I remember seeing your thread title and I was like, great a Harley build. Then I recall you discussing a CNC billet swingarm and I was GLUED to the thread. Your execution and attention to detail was incredible to follow. My bikes always end up looking like a high school shop class I'm trying hard with this one not to go ghetto...

Nessmuk
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #172
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Jim,

It's a 320 rotor, caliper and master cylinder from Braking, bought it used from someone in the FM who had it on a 640 Adventure. I had this on my CBR600 build which I only put 200ish miles on so no long term report. I will say it works incredibly well. One finger could easily throw you over the bars, will make a front knob squirm under heavy braking.

I have the weirdest leak from the master cylinder, it has this one tiny wet spot under the pivot (that sounded really bad). It never gets to the point where it drips, fluid stays the same. I wonder if it is some residual fluid caught between the two seals? Anyways getting a rebuild kit had to come form Italy and was stupid expensive for a couple seals.

I had never had a really nice brake setup other than Brembos but these 320mm rotors with the correct master cylinder are impressive.

BTW, I hate to say I am biased but I remember seeing your thread title and I was like, great a Harley build. Then I recall you discussing a CNC billet swingarm and I was GLUED to the thread. Your execution and attention to detail was incredible to follow. My bikes always end up looking like a high school shop class I'm trying hard with this one not to go ghetto...
That sounds like a great set-up. Thanks for the details. I have the same 320mm Braking rotor, but still the stock KTM Brembo caliper and master cylinder. I think this Braking caliper may be just what the bike needs. The Brembo does OK, but not great. Im getting old now, so i think i want less effort stoping.

I still have the stock HD rear caliper too, so this Braking may also be a better lighter fix too. We shall see.

Watch out for that wet spot

Keep up the good work. Its all good when we end up with a cool custom bike we envisioned.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #173
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
That sounds like a great set-up. Thanks for the details. I have the same 320mm Braking rotor, but still the stock KTM Brembo caliper and master cylinder. I think this Braking caliper may be just what the bike needs. The Brembo does OK, but not great. Im getting old now, so i think i want less effort stoping.

I still have the stock HD rear caliper too, so this Braking may also be a better lighter fix too. We shall see.

Watch out for that wet spot

Keep up the good work. Its all good when we end up with a cool custom bike we envisioned.
I hate to spend your money, but the braking is phenomenal. I don't think you need to match it with Braking, in fact based on how hard it is to get parts for them I would go with a sumo caliper and master cylinder from Brembo, Motomaster etc. Motostrano has some nice pieces to peruse.

Nessmuk
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #174
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post

Yeah my pegs are going to be much further away from the bolts than KTMKLX.

I did however look into the CRF peg MOUNTS. I was going to use a KTM peg, but they have the mounts welded to the frame which means I need to make the mount. The Hondas you referenced have that mount that bolts to the frame. Which means I can buy a pair on eBay and weld them to my mount. Then just get a nice set of IMS pegs for a Honda and bolt right on. Thanks for the lead, that made that project a lot easier.

Nessmuk
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #175
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
I hate to spend your money, but the braking is phenomenal. I don't think you need to match it with Braking, in fact based on how hard it is to get parts for them I would go with a sumo caliper and master cylinder from Brembo, Motomaster etc. Motostrano has some nice pieces to peruse.
Thanks, Im a motostrano recovering addict. Now i may fall off the wagon and have to check them out. They do have nice stuff. The danger is that i live only minutes from their shop. Stop me !!!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #176
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Nothing major although I got my new-to-me KTM 640 low fender. I need to make some custom brackets to be able to bolt it to the RFS forklegs and also to raise it up slightly over stock. I dig the look should be sweet with the rally fairing.

Looking good Pete! If you want to save yourself a couple of hours of fabrication I think the RRP brackets are worth the $80:

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...ender-brackets

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #177
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Lukas I've seen those and the RMS versions. For such a simple piece of aluminum I have to try it myself first. But as usual, you are probably right and I'll spend 5 hours making 4 silly brackets when I could have been doing something else. That's my problem, I'm cheap in the worst possible way, spending money like a drunken sailor on bling and not on the important stuff.

Sent you a PM too.

Nessmuk
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #178
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Quote:
Yeah my pegs are going to be much further away from the bolts than KTMKLX.

I did however look into the CRF peg MOUNTS. I was going to use a KTM peg, but they have the mounts welded to the frame which means I need to make the mount. The Hondas you referenced have that mount that bolts to the frame. Which means I can buy a pair on eBay and weld them to my mount. Then just get a nice set of IMS pegs for a Honda and bolt right on. Thanks for the lead, that made that project a lot easier.

Do you want me to send the CRF mounts I have? 2004? crf 250 mounts
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #179
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Dent thanks but you'll need them I think. I'll just get some on ebay and others can do the same. Unless you have more than one set

Nessmuk
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #180
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Quote:
Lukas I've seen those and the RMS versions. For such a simple piece of aluminum I have to try it myself first. But as usual, you are probably right and I'll spend 5 hours making 4 silly brackets when I could have been doing something else. That's my problem, I'm cheap in the worst possible way, spending money like a drunken sailor on bling and not on the important stuff.

Sent you a PM too.
Yeah, I figured it would be about $20 per hour saved and you'd end up with a nicer product. But since you've got a TIG welder and you are definitely handy with the grinder give it a shot.

I've got a set of the Mecasystem brackets at home, those are the ones that RMS sells. I can take some detailed pictures for you this weekend so you can build something similar, you don't want your fender coming loose and those are Dakar tested.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote