Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #241
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
the setup was something here on the advrider where he was using the aux tank vented.
donot recall all the specifics but I thought I would throw it in as you are doing a great job there and have a better handle on things then I ever will.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #242
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Great work.

A build I'm doing at the moment has a rear subframe tank and I've been trying to think of how to fill it without having to put a big filler cap on it some where.
I was thinking that the only way it would not be a pain to fill would be to have 1.5 inch hose running from the front tank to the rear.
Seeing as how room is usually an issue on bikes I do not know if you really need 1.5" hose to connect the tanks. The nozzle on the gas pump is usually only about 3/4" so I would not think you would need more than that. You might need to let the tank settle a bit after the pump clicks off then give it a top off, but that should not be a big issue, only a few seconds should be fine.

Between exhaust, shock, airbox, and everything else that fits between the front and rear of a bike, a smaller line may be alot easier, but I am just thinking out loud.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #243
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,411
Agree on the hose size. I bought that fancy racing hose with the billet connectors but I'm thinking about using the stuff I got from mcmaster instead just due to flexibility. However I big hose would allow the tank to vent but it would need to attach at the to p in order to vent and that requires some head room.

Hopefully I'll get the bungs made and start destructing the stock tank shortly.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #244
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
No doubt a small diameter hose will be ok for a small tank but the tank I'm building will be over 20 litres.
The bowser hose might only be 3/4 but its got a few psi up its arse pushing that fuel out.
Sorry I'm getting of track.
I'll be interested to hear how you go with filling your sub tank.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #245
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I think the filling will be done through the -6an hose and now just need to figure out how to vent the subtank. I have a few ideas I'll machine up and put it up for a vote.

Nessmuk
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #246
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Bung King

You may already know about this but if not........

http://www.bungking.com/tanks.html

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #247
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I love BungKing, I bought some stuff for the CBR from him, mainly a filler neck. But I will just use my lathe and some NPT taps for this project as I want a wide flange to weld to the tanks. Thanks for that!!

I was REALLLY hoping he would have sent a sticker with my order last time but not to be.

Nessmuk
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #248
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Hopefully NO relationship to Bung Hole...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #249
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I think the filling will be done through the -6an hose and now just need to figure out how to vent the subtank. I have a few ideas I'll machine up and put it up for a vote.

Once full, the sub tank won't need venting. No reason I can think of you need to carry the vent line to the top of the tank, just run one line that feeds the bottom of the sub tank & another from the top both routed back to the tank.
Or go super simple with a manual vent for the initial fill or to vent if you ever run out of gas.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #250
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
You definitely need a separate vent. Otherwise it will be a long series of berps. I think a half inch diameter would be right for a fast fill. We have built dump tanks that dump 3 gallons in about 5 - 6 seconds. I think they used less than 1/2 inch. It had a 2 1/2 - 3 inch outlet to the gas tank.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #251
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
You definitely need a separate vent. Otherwise it will be a long series of berps. I think a half inch diameter would be right for a fast fill. We have built dump tanks that dump 3 gallons in about 5 - 6 seconds. I think they used less than 1/2 inch. It had a 2 1/2 - 3 inch outlet to the gas tank.

Don

Thats what I was thinking as well. The reason for running the vent all the way up was that the top of the vent needs to be in air vs fuel or it won't vent properly and I'll basically have two fill tubes

Nessmuk
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #252
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
What's the ID of -6an hose?
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #253
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,076
I think -6an is 6/16" ; about 10mm.

I use a gas jug with 3/4" hose and it's noticeably slower than a gas station. Not horrible, though. It does need to be vented, as it's way too slow when glugging. The fittings are around 1/2" ID though.

If you're taking more suggestions, consider how you're going to drain the tanks for servicing.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #254
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
Hey amigo, that subtank looks really good.

You might check out the online fiches but CA spec bikes have a couple of extra straws running through the tank in addition to the fuel-cap overflow straw seeen on the 49 state bikes. (my crashed tank had one straw and the replacement i got was from CA and it had extra venting straws for absorbtion canisters and other smog crap exiting underneath the tank)
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #255
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

As a Cali guy, we always rip out the charcoal can and plig uff the extra lines...unneccesary.