Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #256
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Hey amigo, that subtank looks really good.

You might check out the online fiches but CA spec bikes have a couple of extra straws running through the tank in addition to the fuel-cap overflow straw seeen on the 49 state bikes. (my crashed tank had one straw and the replacement i got was from CA and it had extra venting straws for absorbtion canisters and other smog crap exiting underneath the tank)
Thats a good point never thought about that. All that would get me though is not having to weld in another flange and for the cost of buying another tank, maybe not worth it. If I had one for free it would be great.

Since I got an unexpected volume from the sub tank I'm seriously thinking about cutting the entire top off the tank and just using the base as a start to a new custom tank that would hold 3.5 gals or so. I have zero experience shaping sheet metal like that but could be fun if I can find a cheap smashed tank I might try it

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #257
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Made up the tank side connections for the subtank.

Machined up the parts from 1.5" 6061 I had laying around. This is the vent which I used a 1/8" 27 NPT fitting. It was my first time tapping an NPT but not that complicated.

Made up one side of the AN fitting.

And welded.

Nessmuk
Old 02-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #258
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
Those flanges are nice. One thing came to mind. Both of those tubes will be full of fuel all of the time at that level. Shouldn't the vent line be just as robust as the feeder line?

good progress
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #259
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
No, not neccesarily. Liquids have a higher friction rate and density than air. If you look at a dirt bike tank the tank vent is really small. The fuel line is about 1/4" {metric I am sure, but close} and the vent hole in the cap is maybe 1/8" then there is usually a check valve that restricts if even more and that is enough.

I am sure somebody much smarter than I am will post the mathmatics equation to show the ratio needed to be suffiecient, but I am sure this is just fine. That is just my best guess though.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #260
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Those flanges are nice. One thing came to mind. Both of those tubes will be full of fuel all of the time at that level. Shouldn't the vent line be just as robust as the feeder line?

good progress
Correct both lines will have fuel in them when the subtank is full. The purpose of the vent is to evacuate the air in the tank, and the line I have is solvent/gasoline rated as well as the fittings. When the bike is bone dry, because the vent line is terminated high up in the main tank, the only line to feed the subtank is the fancy line and the purpose of it setup like that is to dump fuel faster. The fittings are larger diameter as is the hose. Honestly I bought the fancy hose because I thought it looked cool and I had never made up one before

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
No, not neccesarily. Liquids have a higher friction rate and density than air. If you look at a dirt bike tank the tank vent is really small. The fuel line is about 1/4" {metric I am sure, but close} and the vent hole in the cap is maybe 1/8" then there is usually a check valve that restricts if even more and that is enough.

I am sure somebody much smarter than I am will post the mathmatics equation to show the ratio needed to be suffiecient, but I am sure this is just fine. That is just my best guess though.
That's exactly the same math I used, looks about good

Found a flow rate calculator and guessed on some stuff and got 1.4 gals/min. My tank is about 1.2 gals so I'll sit there for a couple minutes when I need to fill from empty. Obviously I would hopefully never get that low so it likely won't be an issue.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 07:42 AM
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #261
sailah OP
Lampin' it

So I just tested it. Filled it full of water and drained it out the fill hose, which is about 12" too long but I don't want to cut it yet. Took 1:24 to fully drain the tank. Well within my tolerances for standing around the gas pump. It's flowing pretty good I will say that. Plus the pressure head put on the gas going into the subtank from the gas in the main tank as I am filling will probably increase the flow rate.

Nessmuk
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #262
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Nothing major just finished the tank bung for the fuel fill to the subtank. It's probably 1.75" diameter where I will weld it to the main fuel tank. Fun making these parts on the lathe, I get better every time.

The vent is going to be similar except it will have a bung on the inside of the tank as well so that the vent tube can be attached and run up the inside of the tank. And it will be 1/8 27 NPT instead of the 1/4 18 for the one above.

Nessmuk
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #263
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Is it wrong I've been eyeing Aprilia Tuonos and motors seem incredibly cheap?

Manufacturer Aprilia
Production 2006-2011
Predecessor Aprilia RSV Tuono
Successor Aprilia Tuono V4 R
Class naked bike
Engine BRP-Rotax V990, 997,62 cc 60 V-twin, 4-stroke, liquid cooled
Power 99.8 kW (135.7 PS; 133.8 hp) @ 9500 rpm
Torque 11.9 kgm (117 Nm; 86 lbft) @ 8500 rpm
Transmission 6-speed, chain drive
Suspension Front: 43mm fully adjustable Showa Upside-down (USD) forks, rear: Sachs monoshock with adjustable preload and inbound damping
Brakes front: Dual 320mm disc with radially mounted Brembo calipers, rear: single disc
Tires Tubeless radial, front: 120/70 ZR 17, rear: 190/50 ZR 17
Wheelbase 1,415 mm (55.7 in)
Seat height 830 mm (32.7 in)
Weight 181 kg (399 lb) (dry)
Fuel capacity 18 litres (1,098.4 cu in)

OK back on track here...

Nessmuk
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #264
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,518
I love me some Aprilia.

I had also noticed that about parting out Aprilias-- I think it has something to do with low production numbers... not a large resale market, so prices are low.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #265
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Al I think the motors tend to be really reliable and they aren't your typical rice burner buyin so if people wreck they buy new

Anyways I think it would be a sweet candidate

Nessmuk
Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #266
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Al I think the motors tend to be really reliable and they aren't your typical rice burner buyin so if people wreck they buy new

I would make sure it's not one of the ones that maybe never got brought back for the recall they had, I believe in 07 or 08 there was a massive recall for explody motors, the con-rods were snapping due to the wrong metals being used by the supplier i believe.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #267
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,491
Ninja 650 progect...............hmmm Aprilla 1000 sweet V-twin ..........mission creep ?

You're right ,though. They're out there for under a dollar per cc.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #268
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post

Having had a Futura, you would not be able to run knobbies on it Torque monster.

Seriously thinking about a new Honda 500 as lightweight option

Prolink

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #269
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,518
I think I've identified a problem with your project completion process.

You are easily distracted by

LOOK! SQUIRREL!

New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #270
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I think I've identified a problem with your project completion process.

You are easily distracted by

LOOK! SQUIRREL!

You have no idea

Digging that Aprilia frame and the fact they are so cheap. I'd love me another 950 class bike.

On a side note...I am going to be an instructor (very part time) at Tech Shop here in Pittsburgh. I'm really pumped about it as my normal job is not the most creative (finance related) so I will be doing some classes in the evenings. One of the benefits is a free membership and they have some super cool tools, check out the website for more info. An ADV member is in charge of setting them up and we met up last week for a tour with some local riding buddies. My main creative strength is probably woodworking so I will mainly be teaching that but one of the courses I hope to create is a bike building class. One of my local riding buddies is also a very talented machinist and retired science teacher. He stuffed a ATK 406 engine into a Cannondale frame and he's going to hopefully teach the class with me if we get it approved. I think it would be great to have a couple bikes being made into whatever, hopefully no choppers unless they are really cool.

I'd really like to have a fun project to demo and was thinking of either that Harley boardtrack racer that Rebuilder is designing or maybe the Aprilia.

http://www.techshop.ws/

Nessmuk