Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #286
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,000
I can't wait to see what this looks like with a Rally fairing.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #287
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,427
Looking good!

So... have you learned your lesson yet... when are you going to just do your own frame from scratch?
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #288
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Looking good!

So... have you learned your lesson yet... when are you going to just do your own frame from scratch?
I thought about it but the registration headaches would be problematic. I really dig the ninja motor it would be great to do a custom frame but only if it was going into production and even then it is easier to modify the frame and title it as the original bike. I wonder how the chopper guys get around that?

I'm seriously debating leaving my job at the moment as things are unsatisfying to say the least. Problem is that it pays well and I have a ton of flexibility to do whatever I want even when I'm working. I guess you could say I love the pay, love the flexibility, hate the constant pressure, goals, quotas etc as I'm in sales.

I don't think I'd be very well fed building these though but I would like to venture off into something that harnesses my creative side as I feel that is wasting away in my career.

Sorry for the off topic rambling but things came to a head today and I started thinking. Which is when I get in trouble...

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #289
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I wonder how the chopper guys get around that?
In Florida the chopper guys get titled as Assembled from parts. ASPT on title.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #290
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Here in socal the AAA girl asked me if I had modified its style?
Guess I need to complete the registration before I do,I dont think they will notice the dl tank on my gladius.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #291
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,317
I'm not sure about kali, but the "style" category in the states I've lived in was "motorcycle" I don't think she meant cruiser, crotch rocket etc.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #292
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
Here in socal the AAA girl asked me if I had modified its style?
Guess I need to complete the registration before I do,I dont think they will notice the dl tank on my gladius.
Did she give you a clue what effect it had on registration?

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #293
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,427
In some states, you start with a titled frame, saw off everything behind the VIN-stamped headstock and "customize" from there.

In some states, it is possible to start completely from scratch, and bring the old frame and VIN to the DMV where they will stamp a new VIN in the frame at the time of the first registration.

Sorry to hear that you're not having a satisfying work experience. Sometimes you can re-engineer your work place a bit: suggest that instead of having daily sales meetings, try weekly meetings.

You can also request a meeting with the people that are pressuring you and say "Hey, I know what my job is, you don't need to constantly tell me" and "all the pressure from you makes me irritable, therefore, less effective at my job.' And "think of it this way: even if my performance doesn't improve when you get the fuck off my tip, you'll be getting the same results for less effort on your part."

Who knows... you're on the cusp of quitting, what's the worst that can happen? You might actually solve some of the problems and start enjoying your job.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #294
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
In some states, you start with a titled frame, saw off everything behind the VIN-stamped headstock and "customize" from there.

In some states, it is possible to start completely from scratch, and bring the old frame and VIN to the DMV where they will stamp a new VIN in the frame at the time of the first registration.
35 years ago (in Kalifornia) I made an engine change and later a frame change and was in the process of getting it OK'd, but I quit. During the last 6 years, I have done 2 by putting a new engine in and getting them inspected. With the paper in hand, the cutting torch went to work making "Safety Changes"!!!!

I don't know if that is the "Right" way, but I don't see bars in front of my eyes.

Do you know the frame change can be done in Kalifornia now?

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #295
Rich667
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I took a gs 500 frame, cut off the neck and built my own trellis frame around an ex500 motor for a streetfighter i'm working on. Its registered as a gs 500. Im not sure if its 100% legal here in PA (i have talked to 3 or 4 different inspection guys and got different answers each time) but I haven't had any issues thus far. According to pendot, I believe you technically have to register it as a reconstructed or modified vehicle and go through the same enhanced inspection bs of doing a 100% custom frame if you modify the frame in any way. 99.9% of people who look at my bike are so clueless as to what it is, I dont worry much about it.

Nice bike by the way, This build has really sparked my interest in building a similar beast.
Rich667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #296
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Had some second thoughts about the exhaust location running up the side like on normal bikes. I grabbed the can that was on the bike and twisted it around to the other side. It's a little long, but fits under there reasonably well. Might run into a kick stand issue. Having an underslung exhaust would clear up a lot of real estate though and make the rear racks much cleaner.

I also had a look at the Scorpion exhaust I bought and the endcap is stamped with an "A" just like my Arrow exhausts. Put them next to each other and they are the exact same thing. So I might try and fit the shorty carbon arrow can I have and if it works, I'll shorten the Scorpion/Arrow I have to complete the exhaust system.

Pic with the backend put back together

Played around with footpeg position, think I might raise them about an inch from where I thought I wanted them. I also mapped out the rear brake lever and master cylinder locations. Think I might have to make a custom lever the KTM one I have doesn't fit the way I want it.

Once I get the exhaust done, I can finish the rear sets, plumb the fuel tank and then start the wiring. Bike should be ready for a test ride shorter than I expected.

Nessmuk
Old 04-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #297
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Played around with the exhaust today. The more I see the can down low like that the more I realize that's where it belongs. I tried it on the chain side but obviously it interfered with the chain when the swingarm is slack and also the kickstand. I took the Arrow aluminum can apart by drilling out the rivets and then took it over to Tech Shop to use their horizontal bandsaw to slice 3.75" off the end of the can. Had to cut the screen as well and remove some packing. Put it right back together as a shorty.

It fits really well on the brake side where it was originally. Just need to make a small bracket to weld to the frame and I can call the exhaust project done without welding any stainless.

The other motivation was I didn't really like the look of the pipe up the side of the bike. I am designing a rack system that uses Wolfman soft bags. The idea is that it drops on the frame as a solid unit, straddling the passenger seat. When I get to camp I can remove the bolts, and the entire rack system comes off, bags and all. I like the look of the bike with no racks so I think having the exhaust underneath cleans up the whole look.

Nice to be able to check something off the list for once.

You can see in the pic how I plan to brace the footpeg brackets back up under to the frame. Fortunately the exhaust clears all of that.

Nessmuk
Old 04-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #298
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
The arrow can you have is stupid loud, I pity the guy behind you with the shortened version

Have you had it out yet
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #299
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
The arrow can you have is stupid loud, I pity the guy behind you with the shortened version

Have you had it out yet
Well it can't be any worse than the FZ1 can aimed right at your face if you're behind that bike at full song. But only for a minute

Yeah I've had it out of the garage a bunch of times

Spent some time on the bike today. Finished sealing off the airbox. Done.

Went to mount the subtank and the main tank hits the vent line bung. I haven't been happy with that tank since I made it so I decided to make it again. Drew it out on CAD this time and printed out all the sides. Cut them out with a straightedge and taped the box together out of cardboard. It fits much better. So I'll waterjet the parts this week and reweld the tank.

I got sick of dicking around with that Braking master cylinder so I bought a quad master cylinder from a Yamaha

Need to figure out the catch tank as the stock one has a hole and I don't like the location anyways.

Going to rob the battery from the CBR and use it for the Ninja. Need to build a box.

Lots of little projects but I'm committed to sticking with it until I'm done. Hopefully on the road in a couple months.

Nessmuk
Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #300
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Well it can't be any worse than the FZ1 can aimed right at your face if you're behind that bike at full song. But only for a minute

Yeah I've had it out of the garage a bunch of times

Spent some time on the bike today. Finished sealing off the airbox. Done.

Went to mount the subtank and the main tank hits the vent line bung. I haven't been happy with that tank since I made it so I decided to make it again. Drew it out on CAD this time and printed out all the sides. Cut them out with a straightedge and taped the box together out of cardboard. It fits much better. So I'll waterjet the parts this week and reweld the tank.

I got sick of dicking around with that Braking master cylinder so I bought a quad master cylinder from a Yamaha

Need to figure out the catch tank as the stock one has a hole and I don't like the location anyways.

Going to rob the battery from the CBR and use it for the Ninja. Need to build a box.

Lots of little projects but I'm committed to sticking with it until I'm done. Hopefully on the road in a couple months.
Please stick with it til it's done, this is going to be one of the coolest bikes I've seen yet, especially if you get the rally fairing on it.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote