Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #301
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Please stick with it til it's done, this is going to be one of the coolest bikes I've seen yet, especially if you get the rally fairing on it.
Oh I will I can smell the finish line. This project has really come together from all the thinking, scheming and planning. I tried not ot fall victim to "that's good enough" as I am used to doing. Really tried hard to focus on doing good work.

A lot of the work has been the result of improving my skills vis a vis welding, lathe work etc. Some is due to having access to better fabricating tools. Most of it has come from not repeating dumb mistakes I made on previous builds and the ability to see around the corner. Most of the time

The rally fairing will probably be a fall/winter project as it involves substantial design work, welding, fabricating and down time. I might get a wind in my sails this summer but it's hard to argue with using a trail tech to get on the road in five minutes or weeks designing the fairing and nav tower.

It will happen but really focused on that first time of letting out the clutch and the bike moving on its own power. That's a feeling I'll never get tired of.

Thanks for the kind words too. Appreciated.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #302
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Oh I will I can smell the finish line. This project has really come together from all the thinking, scheming and planning. I tried not ot fall victim to "that's good enough" as I am used to doing. Really tried hard to focus on doing good work.

A lot of the work has been the result of improving my skills vis a vis welding, lathe work etc. Some is due to having access to better fabricating tools. Most of it has come from not repeating dumb mistakes I made on previous builds and the ability to see around the corner. Most of the time

The rally fairing will probably be a fall/winter project as it involves substantial design work, welding, fabricating and down time. I might get a wind in my sails this summer but it's hard to argue with using a trail tech to get on the road in five minutes or weeks designing the fairing and nav tower.

It will happen but really focused on that first time of letting out the clutch and the bike moving on its own power. That's a feeling I'll never get tired of.

Thanks for the kind words too. Appreciated.
Have you had any consideration of manufacturing and selling some of the parts you made for the conversion? I know you used a lot of factory stuff, but some of it you hand made. If someone could source the factory stuff you used (swingarm, shock, forks, etc) and then buy the custom parts and put them together, they'd have a bad ass ride. It would be kind of a "testing the waters" of selling custom stuff without going whole hog and selling complete bikes.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #303
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I had originally intended to do that with this bike but things got so one off I scrapped the idea. Depending on how the bike turns out I may build another one using different components that don't require a tank rebuild seat pan etc. that I would prototype for others to build using a stock ninja as a base and off the shelf components from ebay.

I wish I had gone that way from the start with this bike but no regrets. Helps me be a better fabricator. Two years ago I had never welded or used a lathe so I've come a long way from those first days of using a sawzall and grinder

Nessmuk
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #304
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Lots of work done but no pics because phone was dead.

Rebuilt the subtank using a shear instead of a bandsaw. Much nicer. Also bent a lot more of the joints instead of welding. Fits better with more clearance of the shock and also sits flat in the frame with room to rubber mount it.

Built a battery box out of aluminum that mounts directly above the exhaust and below the swingarm. It's close quarters back there but I have clearance for everything even at full droop

Got the exhaust mounted and the final mount will be welded to the footpeg brackets. I went to cut those today on the waterjet but I guess the ruby in the nozzle was cashed so they are waiting on the new one.

Also built a surge tank for the radiator that will mount just to the right of the shock and below it. Hopefully I'll get a quart out of it, haven't measured it.

The new master cylinder arrived so I will get that bolted on and bled.

Still got lots of small projects to do but making progress.

Nessmuk
Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #305
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Lots of good progress today. Built the coolant reservoir tank. Bastard took me all day. It's a tight fit in behind the shock...

Made it out of 5052 aluminum. I bent most of the long sides on the brake. Having a hydraulic shear for stuff like this makes things SOOOOOO much easier and faster.

Built this bracket and welded it to the frame. It doesn't look like there is enough clearance at the bottom but there is to the swingarm at full droop

And installed. I have a strap that will secure it in with some foam weatherstripping as insulation/padding.

Nessmuk
Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #306
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 749
Awesome build Sailah, I found this thread last night and read all 21 pages of it.
Great to get up this morning and find a new update.

This is easily the coolest dirt Ninja build I've read, the custom work, stance and practicality are awesome.

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #307
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks for the kind words. I'm over the hump on this build, they all have 'em, and can see the finish line. Very happy with how things have gone so far.

Nessmuk
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #308
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Couple more pics showing the new subtank and the coolant tank in place. The new subtank is slightly narrower so I can weld angle to it and bolt to the subframe. The first version I made was a little hooptie, this one fits nicer and has a little more volume due to the angle on the left side. plus the welding was nicer.

A PDS shock sandwich. It doesn't actually touch the reservoir hard to hold in the pic. The black line is where I'm trimming the fiberglass section. It will be black suede seat of course.

Coolant cap I stole from the CBR and then bought another on ebay.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 07:16 PM
Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #309
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
That al welding is looking good.
yokesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #310
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks you can see the brown burn marks to the right of the tank where I decided I would try to MIG weld. I can't MIG weld for shit.

Nessmuk
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #311
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Awsome build!

kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #312
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajj View Post
Awsome build!

Thanks!

In the interest in trying to do daily updates, I measured, removed and remeasured all the cables (throttle x2, clutch) and sent them along with the KTM 950 throttle tube to Motion Pro for some new custom cables.

I also designed out the new radiator guard in Inventor and hopefully the waterjet is not being used at Tech Shop and I can go cut out the frame. I think it looks really good, I'll post some pics later.

I also ordered a new MSR clutch perch as I did not like the stock Ninja version. Having that shipped to Motion Pro as well so they can get the end links correct.

Nessmuk
Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #313
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,684
Hey Sailah,

I've really been enjoying this build. Thanks for sharing. This really makes me want another project bike.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #314
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Cut my first piece out on the waterjet unsupervised

It's the radiator guard. I had more trouble importing the dxf file into the waterjet machine program than anything.

I need to redo it from this pic but I bent the tabs and fit it up and corrected all the issues in the file. I also put a nice radius on all the corners in the new drawing. I'm out of aluminum so I'll need to hit the scrap bin Monday

Here's the first run. I corrected the angle on the left so the cutout matched the angle on the filler neck. I also redrew the bent parts to make tabs instead of those long bends which are taxing the brake.

I do have the steel plate so I might attempt those tonight or tomorrow

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 04:25 PM
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #315
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I spent another 15 minutes on the waterjet ($30) and came up with my test rearset. The outside shape is good. and the mounting holes and footpeg holder holes are in the correct location. However the brake master cylinder needs to be moved quite a bit and the banjo bolt clearance holes does as well. I played around with the stock KTM brake lever and I think it will work out perfectly. I need to modify a couple things but fairly simple stuff. I also chewed off the end of the bracket using the plasma cutter so that the brake lever would clear. I'm going to mark the test piece up after I put the bend in the bottom and redraw, recut and retest.

Nessmuk