Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #331
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,391
Finished a bunch of little things, and some big ones too today.

Got the shifter done and tested.

Started on the wiring. Going to have to relocate the FI computer so I bought a bunch of wire and will lengthen the connectors to place it elsewhere on the bike.

I think all the other wires and components will fit nicely.

The original fuel line from the throttle body won't work so I'm figuring out a solution for that. I posted up the problem the Garage section if anyone has any hot ideas.

Finished the radiator guard and installed.

Added about 20 new things to the list

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #332
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Finished a bunch of little things, and ......

Added about 20 new things to the list
That seems about right LOL!

Your shift lever is a work of art. The whole build adds new meaning to the word "custom". Custom, it don't come in a box
😎
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #333
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
I've got center drills is that what you mean? I've seen spot drills but don't have any.
Latest shot of the bike with the high fender

Looking very sexy, my kind of a bike in a future Keep the pictures comming
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #334
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks guys. The finish line keeps retreating on me, every time I think I'm finally going to set a date for the first ride I think of 20 things I need to do for it to be ready. Need to push through.

I feel like Chevy Chase in National Lampoons Family vacation in the desert scene

Nessmuk
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #335
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,462
You're dating yourself. Nobody under 25 even knows who Chevy Chase is.

Looking good! I'm having "project finishing envy"! I'm busy making luggage racks for our upcoming trip to Alaska. I keep having nightmares about cold lap and weld inclusions failing in the middle of the arctic tundra.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #336
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
You're dating yourself. Nobody under 25 even knows who Chevy Chase is.
I'm a spry 35, hard to believe I was 27 when I joined here...

Working on the tank hold down. More sheet metal but I need to get it done.

BTW I remember when that movie came out and I saw the pool scene with Christie Brinkley. I think that's when I became a man

Nessmuk
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #337
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Built the tank bolt down in the rear as well as the seat latch. I cleaned up the welds a little, I was using the MIG to tack it and started goobering until I stopped and TIG'd it.

Also welded in the tank bung in the main tank. I thought I had it lined up perfectly and welded it solid. Put in the NPT barb fitting and it was hitting the fitting from the subtank. So I had to grind it off the tank and start over. Fortunately the welding went great and I got a good looking weld. No pics though.

I test fit the tubing from the main tank to subtank and it routes fine. The Buna-N tubing is a little too flexible and I had to get it just right or it would kink. I might get some real fuel hose instead.

Got the new MSR clutch perch in. Also ordered a 130 link chain as I have no idea how many links are required for this and I'm too lazy to count with an old chain. Got new sprockets too.

Ordered some POR 15 tank liner and plan to do both tanks. I know the steel tank has some pin holes and the aluminum one may as well. I figure it's good insurance, especially if I put gas in it and it leaks and I have to clean them out to line them.

Nessmuk
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #338
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 866
Sahweet!

What about tygon for fuel line?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #339
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Sahweet!

What about tygon for fuel line?
I have tons of tygon, I just never thought it was real fuel line. When I got it from McMaster I thought I got the wrong stuff. I used it on the CBR but that bike just has a lift fuel pump. It has worked fine, and it is SUPER flexible. Almost too flexible as it can kink easily.

I ended up buying the fittings from Dorman on the suggestion that they look exactly like automotive nylon fuel line fittings. I also bought the nylon tubing. I'll give it a go making one up and sheath it in tygon. If that doesn't work I'll call in the professionals...

Reworked my list of things to do and also bought everything but seat foam to *hopefully* get this bike on the road. My guess is 2 weeks and I'll be pulling wheelies.

Nessmuk
Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #340
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
I have tons of tygon, I just never thought it was real fuel line. When I got it from McMaster I thought I got the wrong stuff. I used it on the CBR but that bike just has a lift fuel pump. It has worked fine, and it is SUPER flexible. Almost too flexible as it can kink easily.

I ended up buying the fittings from Dorman on the suggestion that they look exactly like automotive nylon fuel line fittings. I also bought the nylon tubing. I'll give it a go making one up and sheath it in tygon. If that doesn't work I'll call in the professionals...

Reworked my list of things to do and also bought everything but seat foam to *hopefully* get this bike on the road. My guess is 2 weeks and I'll be pulling wheelies.
I used it on my DS7, when I used an aftermarket fuel petcock and it worked well, holding up to the fuel/oil mix in direct sunlight, but you're right it it a little prone to kinking with tight radii.

Maybe fuel injection hose? It should have a braid inside and be less prone to kinking[/thinking out loud]
Old 05-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #341
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,231
I use Tygon on my vintage racer Ducati . If it tries to kink I just slip a lightweight spring over it to prevent the kinking.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #342
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Unless the Tygon brand hose has an SAE specification saying it is acceptable for fuel injection use, do not use it. Google SAE 30r9 fuel line. This is what you should use.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #343
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Just so everyone is clear on my plan of attack here...

I'm running Buna-N line from the main tank graviry fed into the subtank. No pressure.

From the fuel pump to the throttle bodies, I am going to first try to use the fuel injection fitting I bought, along with the nylon line for which they are designed. That nylon line I will sheath in Tygon as it is just to protect the nylon from chafe. If that doesn't work I will get some regular fuel injection rubber line and use fuel injection hose clamps and clamp directly to the barbs.

I also have a request into Keihin and Dorman to help assist, who knows maybe I'll catch a sympathetic ear.

Finally bought the foam for the seat, getting closer.

Nessmuk
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #344
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I had typed out a long response and then closed my browser...

Anyways not doing it all over again so here's the latest...

Decided to run the stock gauges for a couple reasons but mainly because I wanted to keep things stock and not have to wire in 4 extra lights for the Trail Tech. Drew out the dash and cut it on the waterjet. I need to wait for some rubber grommets and foam to isolate the dash from vibrations as that killed the FZ1 dash in a couple years.

Keihin, Sudco and everyone else I contacted about the fuel injection fittings said too bad. So I cut the line apart and used the stock fittings but with 5/16" hi pressure hose and FI hose clamps to roll my own. No pics, but you know what it looks like. Still need to line the tanks and I will have a completed fuel system. One thing I was always wondering was how the fuel light on the Ninja turned on as it has no float. Turns out it is mounted to the fuel pump. Just by eye that would mean I would have MAYBE a 1/4 gallon left because it's now in the subtank Will have to figure out that Rotopax mount sooner than later I think.

I've wired up the entire bike and cranked it over. Cranks fine, fuel pump spins up fine. Course I don't have any fuel so it's not firing. I'm also getting warning lights on the dash board but I suspect it's because the fuel pump is stopping due to no fuel. Will know more later but it's encouraging that it all works. I need to relocate the stock FI computer so wiring is the game plan for today.

Motion Pro called me back and asked for me to send out more hardware including all the old and new stuff after I already sent out the stock lines, throttle tube etc. Should have those in 2 weeks so that's my goal.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 04:54 AM
Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #345
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,893
Looking good but I can't believe you cranked it over with rags down the intake.
Give yourself a slap.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote