User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #391
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,515
Yeah, true.

Although you'd spend a bunch of time making the fixture to hold the block diagonal for "pyramid top" shape. Sure wouldn't want to hand-hold that!

Speaking of which... I need to get in there in the next day or two to do a high-fender mount bracket for my wife's Versys. We put some Heidenau tires on and they don't fit under the fender. D'oh.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #392
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,500
I have been enjoying using the waterjet machine so much I decided to try to make the damper tower. I don't have a lot of room between the tank and the triples so I needed to make it out of plate.

I designed it in Inventor, says it weighs .33 lbs, so not bad. I'll weld it to the neck later on. Drilled the tower for the pin at 5/16" and bob's your uncle.

The rough spots are because I faced it with a mill and didn't deburr the holes. The waterjet actually made perfect holes and that was 1/2" steel plate

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #393
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Remember that day I said I was proud of my work, well today wasn't that day. And yesterday wasn't good either

I'd post pics but I'm too embarrassed to show "the most expensive crappy kickstand ever built". It's taken 2 days, I'm not even half done. I've made an enormous amount of aluminum chips and I have a serious billet club to show for it. The first version took me all day yesterday, a wrecked endmill and I binned it at 5pm and walked out the door. Sat down and designed a new one in CAD last night, still not totally happy with it...

Anyways, I hope your work was better than mine. Fortunately no one is paying me to work on this bike. Except myself. Hey, wait a minute...

Nessmuk
Old 05-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #394
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Today was mostly electrickery stuff for me -- cleaning up the accessory wiring on my VStrom & installing heated grips for RacerWife. Not my strong suite, but it feeds my OCD... I like neat bundles of wires and tidy zip ties.

That bracket is soopa-burly. I've done a similar job on a friends race bike, but folded up out of sheet metal. Stiff & light.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #395
sailah OP
Lampin' it

The other damper posts I have on my other bikes all flex and I hate then. My 2012 husky flexed so bad it worked the entire clamp off. The reason it's so thick is that the post is 5/16. Don't have to worry about that working loose.

Nessmuk
Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #396
sailah OP
Lampin' it

So here's the most expensive kickstand in the world It's not totally finished but I'm satisfied with the major pieces. I still need to bribe one of the guys on the CNC mill to finish the radius on the top of the stand it's just hogged out right now and needs finished.

As it sits it has a 10mm shoulder bolt. I have ordered a bronze shouldered bearing and a 12mm bolt to finish that pivot and hopefully it works out. Although it seems to be fine now. The hardest part was designing out the bracket and especially the bend angle. Too much and it sends the kickstand into the wheel when it's retracted. Too little and not enough lean. I think I cut out over 6 brackets until I got the one that I wanted. I also made 2 of the billet pieces, this is the second one. The actual leg is 1.05 OD 6063 pipe with thick walls. I bored out the bottom of the billet piece 0.003" under so it's a press fit and it goes in 0.80". Then I welded it.

I finally made an assembly in Inventor and constrained the parts so I could check the fit of the stops. Trial and error was NOT going to work here as it needs to be precise. It actually came out great.

You can manipulate the model, comprised of individual parts. The cool thing about these programs (I'm about a month into using it, self taught here...) is that you can quickly swing the leg around and visually see if you are going to have interference. By changing the dimensions of the smaller components, it updates the master file instantly so you can see what your changes do. Changes like hole size, radius, distance of holes from sides etc are all very fast to change whereas before in Rhino, I'd literally have to spend time redrawing the entire model. Sorry for geeking out on a computer program but it's pretty cool. Plus you can right click on a face, export it as a DXF file into the waterjet program and in 2 minutes (ok 5 minutes) that kickstand bracket you tweaked just slightly is now sitting in your hand in 3/16" steel plate

I plan to remove some material on the lathe after I have had this part rounded on the CNC mill. I don't know how to use a CNC so I'm waiting on others free time. This was probably the most involved milling operation I have done to date.

Plenty of clearance

I also got introduced into the fine arts of circuitry. I know almost zero about circuits but a nice guy helped me out and I finally got all the lights on the dash board working. Hooked up to a power supply and I pinned all the wires on a proto board? That's what he called it. Anyways it's all very logical and easy to find what works and what doesn't.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 08:23 PM
Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #397
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I also got introduced into the fine arts of circuitry. I know almost zero about circuits but a nice guy helped me out and I finally got all the lights on the dash board working. Hooked up to a power supply and I pinned all the wires on a proto board? That's what he called it. Anyways it's all very logical and easy to find what works and what doesn't.
A map of the pinouts and what they do would be a great addition to the database on the 650. How about HOW for Ninja/Versys conversions!
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #398
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,249
Single shear on the kickstand mount will probably bend the plate given time. You've got a big enough chunk of metal left there, I'd cut a slot in it and have the stand overlap the bracket on the bike like a fork if you know what I mean.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #399
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
A map of the pinouts and what they do would be a great addition to the database on the 650. How about HOW for Ninja/Versys conversions!
It's all in the service manual do you have a copy? If not send me your email

Nessmuk
Old 06-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #400
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Single shear on the kickstand mount will probably bend the plate given time. You've got a big enough chunk of metal left there, I'd cut a slot in it and have the stand overlap the bracket on the bike like a fork if you know what I mean.
Yeah I know what you mean the first version was like this. Not sure how to cut the slot that deep. My 3/16" endmill was struggling. Maybe there is a slotting cutter? I'm totally new to the mill so if I'm overlooking something, feel free to say it

It's pretty beefy anyways, I threw a slot in the model file so I can always do another one. If it breaks, I'll deal with it then. The bracket is also going to get reinforced from the backside with a gusset. I'm not sure you can envision the strength of 3/16" the bending moment is much less than you think with the lean angle. Anyways. appreciate the comment I tried it that way at first which was the reason I am now at the current version, just too hard for me to cut. I suppose I could try and fixture it in the waterjet and cut it that way but that tool is very hard to "zero" on a part where you don't have any extra to cut away.

Nessmuk
Old 06-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #401
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Might want to speed things up a bit - looks like rust is starting on your new steel parts
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #402
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Drill bits are fantastic for taking most of the material out of slots.

There are "slitting saws", but these won't do the depth you want. However, don't be discouraged: a carbide tipped woodworking circular saw makes a real fine slitting saw. Just make an arbor for it in the lathe. Go slow, make lots of shallow passes. Don't let OSHA see what you're doing.

Another thing to remember is this: if you want a 1/4" slot, don't use a 1/4" cutter -- they aren't good at cutting both sides at once. Use a 3/16" cutter and cut one side at a time.

----

In other news... file under "why the fuck does this stuff happen the DAY I'm supposed to leave"? I was putting a new, washable air filter in RacerWife's Versys. I thought I'd be all crafty and just shift the tank out of the way. I got distracted for a moment, and the tank fell off the bike. It snapped the fuel pump quick disconnect fitting (faaahk, it's plastic).

Well, durt Ninja to the rescue. Fuel pump swaps right on.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #403
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,249
Quote:
I'm totally new to the mill so if I'm overlooking something, feel free to say it

I'd drill a hole at the bottom of the slot, then hack saw down to it. You're leaving your roots and gettin' all fancy...think, "WWRTW_Doug do?"

Bandsaw would do the trick and is safer than a circular saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Drill bits are fantastic for taking most of the material out of slots.

Yeah, he could take out most of the slot by drilling and finish it with my hacksaw and a file.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #404
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
... Not sure how to cut the slot that deep....
Don't. Make the slot by starting with a three piece sandwich and welding it together on the edges. Then mill the rest of the features into it.

Side view:

Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #405
sailah OP
Lampin' it

When and if it breaks we can revisit backyard milling techniques but I'm fairly sure it's plenty strong in its current state. I used the file technique on the last one and it came out like crap. Half the reason of using these fancy tools is to learn a new skill, so I can't bring myself to butcher it up.

Worse comes to worse I can always fixture the new blank in a drill press vise and water jet the slot then mill the faces and bore for the leg.

I really want to take the cnc class next week so stay tuned for another episode of "As the lathe turns..."

Nessmuk