Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #421
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
I was not aware that they moved the textiles area into the welding shop.

Nice work, and it really shows what kinds of things you can do at TechShop.

Thanks I just like it in the welding shop because no one bothers me and it's halfway between all the fun tools

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #422
sailah OP
Lampin' it

On a lighter note...I built the seat for the Ninja and it came out great. I'm heading out on a long trip tomorrow up to Maine and was getting the ole FZ1 ready. She's been ridden hard and put away wet and the seat was a little tired. Decided to refoam and resuede her for the trip. Been playing around on the laser and drew up a little logo. It's a joke with my local riding buddies who are always giving me shit. My retort is, well, you guessed it

Nessmuk
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #423
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,456
I like the logo.

I'm anioux to see what yours weighs.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #424
16VGTIDave
blame Reaver...

Oddometer: 472
I would like to join that racing team, especially if I could get some team stickers!
16VGTIDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #425
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
I would like to join that racing team, especially if I could get some team stickers!
Hmmmm I do have a local riding buddy that owns a sticker company.....

Nessmuk
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #426
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
yeah yeah. Want to meet up in NH this weekend? I'll buy lunch...
Hey Pete - I sent ya a PM.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #427
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Hey Pete - I sent ya a PM.
Never got it?? Anyways, I'm back in the burgh.

So the bike is finally done. Not done done, but done enough for its maiden voyage. I got back from an 1800 mile trip to New England on the Ronin bike and have come to value comfort on a bike more than ever. By the end of the trip I was dying, pain in the neck and ass

I got the cables from Motion Pro that had been a long time coming. Fortunately they fit great and are very well made. The used the stock ends from the Ninja cables I sent them and mated them very well to the 950 throttle tube. I wired up a headlight and cautiously took it around the block. It was having a weird throttle issue where it would bog, badly, around 1/4 throttle and then when you rolled through to the "main" it would behave normally. Rather than risk having an issue in downtown Pittsburgh in rush hour trying to get to bike night 30 minutes north I trailered it to meet up with a buddy so we could ride together. Other than riding it basically around a city block, this was its very first ride.

At bike night

Thoughts...

The fueling issue was the TPS sensor as I thought. Somehow I forgot to tighten the Torx screws and they were "floating" Fortunately my BMW buddy (they're good for something) had a Torx 25 and I guessed. The ride home was great, zero issues, bike pulls hard right up to redline.

The seating, handlebar and peg position is perfect. Super comfortable. I couldn't improve on the controls at all. The seat I made is also very very very comfortable. Maybe I'm biased from coming off the torture rack of the FZ1 seat, but I feel I could easily log big miles on this seat. Standing is also easy. The bars are about right, you are bent slightly but I could ride for miles standing.

The steering feels just about right. I let go of the bars many times and it tracks straight. I was running a non DOT knobbie and will swap that for a good match for the K60 on the back.

Suspension is good. It's not surprisingly like riding a big dirt bike on the road. Soaks it all up. The back feels a little soft but I am also running light preload so I will take a couple turns and tighten that up. Springs up front are right on.

No leaks, weird noises (other than chain slap) or anything else that would make you worry. It runs really well.

The motor is pleasant. Has torque in the right places and feels much more tractor like. Def more thumper than screamer. A nice combo. I feel like this is an ideal motor to build an ADV bike. That said the exhaust is a little loud. I might try and fabricate a muffler to fit this bike or even try a stock can to quiet it down. I don't want to run a high mount, I like the weight down low.

The gauges need to be angled lower, although that's a minor point. Also the speedo isn't working so I need to chase that down.

The clutch cable/engagement is abrupt, I suspect I have all the slack out of it and just need to adjust.

Overall, I love it. I can't wait for a longer ride, I did about 10 miles tonight. All things point to this being my new hotness.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 10:05 PM
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #428
4play
Next?

Nice! I kept thinking I wanted more sound, but the more I've ridden it with the stock can the more I think it I should leave it alone. How was the gearing? After balancing the tires, the 15/52 feels near perfect cor my use.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #429
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,158
The comment right at the end sums things up about right:
Quote:
I like this better than all the Harleys....
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #430
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Nice! I kept thinking I wanted more sound, but the more I've ridden it with the stock can the more I think it I should leave it alone. How was the gearing? After balancing the tires, the 15/52 feels near perfect cor my use.
hard to tell without the speedometer working but certainly close
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
The comment right at the end sums things up about right:

Thanks thats my buddy rufus. He's a good dude, weird but good

Nessmuk
Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #431
sailah OP
Lampin' it

went out riding today. Ripped it up for a good 50 miles. My buddy was filming a lot of it, he said on the dirt road it was 50' rooster tail

The bike ran awesome. On the offroad section I hit something with the can and will def need a skiplate. Bike rips wheelies like nothing else and I'm not a wheelie guy

I did find the limit of the big brake rotor when I was trying to test it out, ended up smoking it. What a fun machine

Nessmuk
Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #432
4play
Next?

Cool. It's always a plus when nothing falls off

I'm going on my 1st real ride tomorrow. The plan is over 200 miles mostly offroad. I find it interesting how much different our bikes look. Mine looks like strech limo, compared to yours.

Another plus of the stock muffler, that thing is tough. You just need a pan ahead of it to get the leading edge over. I was "thinking" I could save a few lbs by making my own crash bars & skid pan, but after removing the skid pan to change the oil I think I'd be hard pressed to shave 5 lbs from all the above & these actally workd pretty well.
I think I'll skip a few cheeseburgers & take the weight off higher up
Old 06-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #433
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Yeah I wish mine was a little longer in the rear.

On the plus side I weighed it. 208# in the rear, 180# in the front that was with 3 gals of gas, ready to ride. So 388 fueled. Back out 18 lbs for gas, 2-3 lbs for oil and coolant and it's about 365 dry. My CBR was 364# fueled with 2.25 gals so its about 20 lbs heavier than the CBR. But I'll gladly take that weight because this bike has FI, 5.5 gal fuel, seating is vastly more comfortable and a LOT narrower.

Nessmuk
Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #434
4play
Next?

Wow, ~45lbs lighter than mine.

I was scratching my heads thinking about where could I have that much extra weight.

Stock Muffler I'm told weighs a ton, passenger pegs & mounts, tail rack, SW mototech engine guards & skid pan, steel swingarm vs your KTM aluminum, the Mefo 150 rear tire is no lightweight.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #435
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Good job getting it on the road. I have never weighed mine, I probably should, you have made me curious.

What did you end up with for rear travel and seat ht?
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote