Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #571
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,159
Intelligence is the only form of wealth that can never be taken from you. It's hard to put a price on that. Thank you for your answer, it was intelligent and informative, and I appreciate it. There really is no perfect bike, it's unfortunate, because it seems like the ability is out there, but apparently the market wont support it. I keep leaning toward the GS because it seems to be the best compromise for my needs. I just wish the 990's got better mileage, maybe the new small KTM twin will finally figure it out.

Congrats on the sailboat, I love sailing. I used to live in the Keys and I was the Divemaster/2nd on a 60ft gaff rigged custom schooner (The Conch Pearl ) that did five day trips from Marathon to KW and back. I didn't set foot on land for a week at a time, lived in board shorts, and spent half my waking hours underwater. Best job I've ever had.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #572
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,422
Yeah I'm pumped

OK arrived back from Boston to see my spokes arrived from Buchanans. Set about lacing up both wheels. I was only able to true the front as the rear doesn't have bearings yet. I had to drill out the front hub slightly to get the new spokes through.

I really like my truing stand, works great as both a truing stand and a balancer. I used 2 indicators and was about to get within 0.005" and said screw it that's good enough. To the eye it's running perfectly true.

Closeup of the new powdercoated hubs.

I've been gone for a week checking out my new digs and haven't gotten to work on much. I did get the fuel system fixed by using some -6AN line so it won't kink.

Now just waiting on suspension.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #573
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,479
.0005" is about as close as I've ever been able to get a rim. I have heard from multiple sources that .01" is as good as is needed -- we roll over pebbles bigger than that. Well done!!

Congrats on the new house.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #574
DustyOne
Riding@6500' & up

Oddometer: 401
remember now y'all,
these are not vintage spoked-wheeled road racers we are building here.

as soon as you ride of off a curb, or roll over the edge of a pot hole
while on your way to a nice dirt road heading up to the hills,
the wheel will already be more than .01 out of round
DustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #575
sailah OP
Lampin' it

That's true. But I can't help but be mesmerized by the flickering dial indicator, wondering to myself if I can just get it a little better...

Nessmuk
Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #576
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

I am SO in touch with flavor of OCD.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #577
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Time for an update. I finished the wheels and slapped on some new conti trail attacks in 17/19 flavor.

After going through some headaches waiting on a suspension tuner to finally get around to my stuff, I asked for it to be returned and brought it up to my semi local KTM shop, five star cycle in saegertown, pa. These guys are great and I ride and hang out with the owner and tech often. I should have just brought it to them in the first place as they do a LOT of suspensions supporting local racers.

What was most enjoyable was being able to ride right in the shop and help out. Admittedly they did most of the work but Jeremy spent some time explaining things and why certain shims go different places and how to bleed a shock correctly. It was really an education.

I had them lower the suspension on my bike and revalve the forks and shock. It was very enjoyable to watch those two work and pick up some pointers. I had never done a shock before and realized after watching Jeremy that I simply don't have the tools or skills to really pull that off. Well worth the time and money to have a skilled suspension guy do that.

We all pitched in a little but in reality Jeremy and Phil did almost everything. I got to take some stuff apart and gets parts ready for them to work on. I can't remember exactly, but I think they put the 6 days valving with a special flavor in my shock and the front forks they converted over to super enduro valving. It was hard to really tell the difference because the shock spring we guessed the preload and it was way way way off. But I had to ride home immediately so I said screw it and I'll figure out the preload out later. The nice thing is that I am going on a multi day ride with the guy that is doing the suspension work in the pics and I'll give him a chance to ride the bike and see what he thinks.

We ordered pizza and beers and had a great Friday up there. Rode home two hours in the pouring rain which sucked.

How many other shops let you drink beer (and provide it for you, Yeunglings hehe) and let you help out working on your junk?

If my valving is off I think we'll know why

Jeremy built this vacuum pump that pulls on the shock and sucks all the air out, lots of cool stuff these guys have

Nessmuk
Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #578
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,758
IS that pepperoni mixed in with the shims

Where abouts are you riding?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #579
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

That looks like a really good shop party!

Even though I took RaceTech's 6 day suspension class in preparation for doing the illustrations for the RT Suspension Bible book, I quickly came to the same conclusion -- the "right" tools would cost nearly a thousand dollars, never mind the fact that every single shock and fork seems to have slightly different methods of doing the same stuff... better to pay a pro.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #580
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
IS that pepperoni mixed in with the shims

Where abouts are you riding?
Pepperoni and sausage. And beer caps.

Heading to laurel fork in west by god virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
That looks like a really good shop party!

Even though I took RaceTech's 6 day suspension class in preparation for doing the illustrations for the RT Suspension Bible book, I quickly came to the same conclusion -- the "right" tools would cost nearly a thousand dollars, never mind the fact that every single shock and fork seems to have slightly different methods of doing the same stuff... better to pay a pro.
Yeah, it's fun to go see those guys. I can change oil in forks and swap springs but the shock requires some technical tools and skills beyond the average guy.

It's too bad I didn't get a chance to ride it and have them ride it. I literally slapped the bike back together and hit the road. It was obvious we were way off on the sag. They recommended I go up to a KTM 950 stock spring with some minimal preload to get better sag numbers. The front was raked way out because of the rear sag.

I plan to get the spring swapped out and my sag set so I can get some pointers on clickers when Jeremy is riding with me this weekend.

Other than that the bike is running great. No issues. All the stuff I fixed over the winter is working well. I need to redo the kickstand again. I'm doing it out of steel this time. Stupid aluminum is a pain in the ass.

The bike is very very fun to ride with it lowered slightly. The fatter tires sure do make it a blast when the roads get twisty. I'll have a much better idea after strafing some back roads in WV but so far it's great. I'll try out the knobs on a dirt day down the road.

Nessmuk
Old 04-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #581
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

My wife has the TrailAttacks on her Versys -- she loves them.

I suppose that should be "loved them" right up until she hit something big and busted a 1" gash in the tread. She said "I dunno what happened, I just got this very visceral feeling that I really shouldn't be going 90 on the highway, so I got off at the next exit."

Yep, that's my wife.

I just ordered a Shinko rear to replace it -- I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #582
sailah OP
Lampin' it

I've had shinkos and wasn't impressed. I bought both these trail attacks for less than $200 shipped last month. One from revzilla and the other from motorcycle superstore. Each had killer deals on only one size and free shipping so I split them up.

Nessmuk
Old 04-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #583
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I told you before, your build has done a lot to inspire what I am doing. Too bad folks are so far away. Any idea what your doing for color on the tank?

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:28 AM   #584
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
I told you before, your build has done a lot to inspire what I am doing. Too bad folks are so far away. Any idea what your doing for color on the tank?
Yeah probably rust for now

How's that stem working out let's see some pics

Nessmuk
Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #585
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I should have taken more.... I got so excited to get it all together I didn't take many. I will probably disassemble one more time today and take more. It worked perfect, with some heat and freezer time it all pressed right together. All bolted up it worked perfect. I need to do some wire management still. Here are pics of the setup on the bike

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote