User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
12,000 mile service-how critical?

It looks like my timing is as bad as ever. I'm at a little over 10k miles and have a 3000 mile trip coming up in a few weeks (probably another 1-2k miles). I plan to do the valve lash myself...but given the need to measure and then order (or do a fairly long drive) the proper shims the work will take a while. I'd like to put this off till after my trip, which will probably put me at 14-15k. Does anyone thing this will be a problem?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:26 AM   #2
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,008
I wouldn't worry overly about the valves but I would do the oil and filter change and the rest of the service before your trip.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
You will be fine....check them when you get back! If the bike is running great now I would not worry....it won't magically stop running good at 12K miles :)
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Kinda what I figured. I do the oil every 3k or so. I have the Uni prefilter and a new air filter on the way. Timing on tires sorta sucks too-still have life left but will be in rough shape by the time the trip is over. May buy a new set and bring them with me to change on the trip.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:38 AM   #5
CRFan1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Kinda what I figured. I do the oil every 3k or so. I have the Uni prefilter and a new air filter on the way. Timing on tires sorta sucks too-still have life left but will be in rough shape by the time the trip is over. May buy a new set and bring them with me to change on the trip.
Good deal...have a fun and safe trip!
CRFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
ZooberP
awesome possum

Oddometer: 44
If I'm getting valves done at the dealer, how much should I expect to pay?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooberP View Post
If I'm getting valves done at the dealer, how much should I expect to pay?
It really depends on the labor rate of your dealership. I just had a 12K done on my Tiger.

Parts accounted for $191. That includes oil, gaskets, coolant, brake fluid, etc for the full service. The service itself took 7 hours. It will be shorter if your valves are in spec. Three of my valves, however, were not. Find your shop's service rate and do the math.

I had my service done at Pro Italia. It cost me the better part of $1000. They do fine work but are very expensive. I will likely be doing all the service from this point on.
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
ZooberP
awesome possum

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquar View Post
It really depends on the labor rate of your dealership. I just had a 12K done on my Tiger.

Parts accounted for $191. That includes oil, gaskets, coolant, brake fluid, etc for the full service. The service itself took 7 hours. It will be shorter if your valves are in spec. Three of my valves, however, were not. Find your shop's service rate and do the math.

I had my service done at Pro Italia. It cost me the better part of $1000. They do fine work but are very expensive. I will likely be doing all the service from this point on.
Ouch...I think my shop rate is the usual $80-$110 range. Maybe I can talk them into a discount since I bought it there...but who knows. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Phoenix it is $600 plus parts at Go AZ. About to finish mine up myself. Got dealer tool and all the special tools for that price and they all work on my Stripple R so that one will be free labor and my shim kit will work on that bike too.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #10
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Renegade, where are you heading. Its possible you might be able to find a solid shop along the way and just plan on spending an extra day halfway through your trip.

Yikes $1000 for a 12k service? I don't want a NEW engine...just make sure the one I've got is running great!
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,623
I'll be doing the 12k on mine soon. Today I ordered the cam chain cover gasket in case I need one. So far I'm into it for $6.09 for the gasket and $25 for 4 qts of Castrol Power RS and $11 for an OEM oil filter. It's crazy to pay a dealer the prices posted for this service. Oh yeah, the Dealertool was $118 to the USA but this will be the second use of it.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Air_Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I'll be doing the 12k on mine soon. Today I ordered the cam chain cover gasket in case I need one. So far I'm into it for $6.09 for the gasket and $25 for 4 qts of Castrol Power RS and $11 for an OEM oil filter. It's crazy to pay a dealer the prices posted for this service. Oh yeah, the Dealertool was $118 to the USA but this will be the second use of it.
O'Reilly sells their oil filter for $4.69 which is made by WIX. They also sell the WIX version which is bacically the same one for ~$12. The Triumph OEM is also WIX filter.
'08 Triumph Sprint ST
'03 Suzuki DL1000, '03 Triumph Sprint ST
Air_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #13
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Bob View Post
O'Reilly sells their oil filter for $4.69 which is made by WIX. They also sell the WIX version which is bacically the same one for ~$12. The Triumph OEM is also WIX filter.
Yes, thanks. The Wix name is plainly on the OEM filter but as long as my bikes are under warranty I prefer to use OEM filters. They do cost ~ a McDonalds value meal more but I'll not give Triumph any reason to look closely at any potential warranty claim down the line and there may be filtration media efficiency and bypass pressure differences I'm not aware of.

When the warranty is behind me I'll probably switch to Honda 15400-A01 filters as long as Triumph specs a similar bypass pressure as the Honda filters have. I buy the Honda filters in quantity for $5 each and one filter fits two bikes and two cars in my garage.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
TemeculaTim
Timeteo Viejo

Oddometer: 178
I just had my 12K done as well. It was $800.00 and yes, it was painful and I could have done it myself. But like someone else said, I dont want any issues if I have to make a Warranty Claim. I also wanted proof that all major work was done by factory trained techs if I ever decide to sell it.

Like whenever Honda decides to make a real ADV big bore bike
Old 07-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #15
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,433
Is the 6000 one a little easier on the wallet?? or is just about the same work needed at that mileage.?
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote