Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #1606
theDub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
You have the tablet hard wired for power? Or just rely on the battery to last for the entire ride?
theDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #1607
SoCal_Singletrack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDub View Post
You have the tablet hard wired for power? Or just rely on the battery to last for the entire ride?
I actually run a charger cable from the tablet to the powerlett outlet on the bike. I just removed it for the pic. I'll probably put together a more "elegant" power connection setup later. When the tablet is connected to the bike I run the display at 100% brightness with no worries. Pretty easy to read even in bright sunlight.
SoCal_Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #1608
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,325
Quote:
What's wrong with the Givi racks? They will do both the things you require.
Was not sure they would adapt to wolfman bags. Ordered the Givi racks and another 33L trekker this morning.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #1609
theDub
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Singletrack View Post
I actually run a charger cable from the tablet to the powerlett outlet on the bike. I just removed it for the pic. I'll probably put together a more "elegant" power connection setup later. When the tablet is connected to the bike I run the display at 100% brightness with no worries. Pretty easy to read even in bright sunlight.
Wait...did you delete your post about the tablet mounting? I didn't quote you and now it looks like I'm a crazy person talking about nothing.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #1610
theDub
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Was not sure they would adapt to wolfman bags. Ordered the Givi racks and another 33L trekker this morning.
Yep. That's what I'm using. Works great.
And I love that the racks can be removed quickly when I'm not using them.
Just make sure you specify "other racks" when you order the Wolfman bags. They will come with little velcro d-ring straps that you put on the racks for the bags to mount to.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #1611
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,325
Quote:
Yep. That's what I'm using. Works great.
And I love that the racks can be removed quickly when I'm not using them.
Just make sure you specify "other racks" when you order the Wolfman bags. They will come with little velcro d-ring straps that you put on the racks for the bags to mount to.

Awesome!!!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #1612
SoCal_Singletrack
Adventurer

Quote:
Wait...did you delete your post about the tablet mounting? I didn't quote you and now it looks like I'm a crazy person talking about nothing.
No, you're not going crazy. I thought I had inadvertently deleted my post last night, so I reposted the pics again. It still hasn't shown up. I have a feeling that it's stuck in moderator-land.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #1613
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
The site is acting funky today. I couldn't get the quote/reply function to work earlier - had to use the manual quote insert tool.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #1614
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Waterproofing GPS and Phone

I see a lot of fellas have nice setups for their iPhones and gps devices. All the ones that were waterproof intrigued me however i am still hesitant about wether its truly safe to use in the rain... i commute on Daisy rain or shine and would love to have my iPhone set up and plugged in under the rain... I get and believe the case would be waterproof and i can make the power to the case sealed, but what are you guys using to power the actual bike? I was using a regular 12v outlet on my klr but just wasn't plugging it in under the rain... you guys got any ideas that you have tried and can vouch for even under the rain??

Mucha appreciated!

Oh by the way... This is my Daisy! Picked her up a couple weeks back!

y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #1615
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
The site is acting funky today. I couldn't get the quote/reply function to work earlier - had to use the manual quote insert tool.
I've been having that problem too. Glad to know it is at the site end.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #1616
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
I see a lot of fellas have nice setups for their iPhones and gps devices. All the ones that were waterproof intrigued me however i am still hesitant about wether its truly safe to use in the rain... i commute on Daisy rain or shine and would love to have my iPhone set up and plugged in under the rain... I get and believe the case would be waterproof and i can make the power to the case sealed, but what are you guys using to power the actual bike? I was using a regular 12v outlet on my klr but just wasn't plugging it in under the rain... you guys got any ideas that you have tried and can vouch for even under the rain??

Mucha appreciated!

Oh by the way... This is my Daisy! Picked her up a couple weeks back!

Great bike.

Waterproof phones? A friend of mine uses one of these and seems happy with it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twisty-Ride-.../dp/B00B0YYSEY
Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #1617
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
I was using a regular 12v outlet on my klr but just wasn't plugging it in under the rain... you guys got any ideas that you have tried and can vouch for even under the rain??
If you use a tank bag you can run the charging cable into the bag.

Nomad Rider offers their Sherpa bag that is waterproof, well thought out with various storage compartments, and a great value at $99.00.

If you install a Powerlet accessory socket into the hole in the box under the seat you will have less worry of water getting into it while riding in the rain. There is a connector there that hooks into the above linked Powerlet (less expensive that buying the Triumph branded version of same)

Then it is easy to lace the lead from there up to a tank bag to charge the phone.

As for the phone itself, I'm now using a Samsung Rugby that is waterproof and shockproof. I no longer have to worry about moving it from the jacket to the tank bag when it rains. (still have to remember the wallet ... DAMHIK)

Daisy sure is purdy. (though I've heard that the black ones are the fastest ...)

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #1618
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
I get and believe the case would be waterproof and i can make the power to the case sealed, but what are you guys using to power the actual bike? I was using a regular 12v outlet on my klr but just wasn't plugging it in under the rain... you guys got any ideas that you have tried and can vouch for even under the rain??
The Powerlet socket the bike comes equipped with is weatherproof. I use a Powerlet/MiniUSB cable to power my Garmin Oregon GPS regardless of the weather. For an iPhone the situation gets a little more complicated because I haven't seen any direct Powerlet-to-iPhone adapters, so you'd need to use a Powerlet/USB adapter and a standard iPhone cable. That said, you could weatherproof that combination yourself.

But to be honest, there's a reason I use the Oregon on the bike instead of my iPhone. A dedicated unit just works a lot better. It's much more rugged, doesn't need to be in a case, has much better GPS features, etc. I'd strongly recommend going in this direction instead of using the iPhone.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #1619
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

From a practical standpoint the phone doesn't make a very useful GPS device while riding. The screen size requires too much time to see and use effectively. Operation with gloves is sketchy if not impossible on most phones.

I would agree that using a dedicated device will work better.

Combining a Garmin Zumo with a Sena Bluetooty headset and the phone give the best all around selection of information, entertainment and communication while riding. (though I rarely use the phone for communication, mostly as a backup Bluetooth music source when the Zumo playlist gets stale)

Trying to use a phone for GPS while riding was a dangerous distraction for me. The Zumo is well designed for use in this environment, works with gloves, and only takes a glance to glean the required info from the screen while tooling down the road. Any of the other large screen devices should provide the same advantage over the phone.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #1620
SoCal_Singletrack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Trying to use a phone for GPS while riding was a dangerous distraction for me. The Zumo is well designed for use in this environment, works with gloves, and only takes a glance to glean the required info from the screen while tooling down the road. Any of the other large screen devices should provide the same advantage over the phone.
Agreed. Any of these types of solutions can be a distraction though. The dedicated GPS option is always nice (waterproof, easy to use while wearing gloves, etc.), but they don't seem to be very useful once you leave the pavement. Haven't used a dedicated GPS (turn-by-turn) in a while... do they support things like Topo maps? I have a Delomrmre PN60-W that I take with me, but the screen is so small that using it while riding makes it impractical.

As I posted previously, I'm playing with a 7" android tablet, since I'm more interested in GPS for off-road navigation.

7" Android Tablet as a GPS

Also, I did the "touch-screen glove hack" since I'm using a tablet and it works great!

Make your own touch-screen gloves