ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #1666
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SW Idaho
Oddometer: 139
Top Box?

Maybe I haven't lost all of my KLR roots, how bad would the Rubbermaid Action Packer look as a top box? At only $20, that is a steal! Maybe not the most secure and I would have to paint those red handles.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #1667
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr View Post
Maybe I haven't lost all of my KLR roots, how bad would the Rubbermaid Action Packer look as a top box? At only $20, that is a steal! Maybe not the most secure and I would have to paint those red handles.
Also being a previous 1gen and 2nd gen KLR

I was rocking a cooler

Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #1668
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr View Post
Maybe I haven't lost all of my KLR roots, how bad would the Rubbermaid Action Packer look as a top box? At only $20, that is a steal! Maybe not the most secure and I would have to paint those red handles.
For $50 you can get a seahorse that looks like a pelican or storm, almost resembling a real topbox.

Or you might go cheaper than the 'actionpacker' by just picking up a free milk crate in a strip-mall alley.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #1669
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SW Idaho
Oddometer: 139
My milk crates are in the house, I call them bookshelves! Replacements are getting hard to find due to the local scrappers. Any special mods to bolt it to the rear plate?

boomhwr screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 10:11 AM
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #1670
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
For $50 you can get a seahorse that looks like a pelican or storm, almost resembling a real topbox.

Or you might go cheaper than the 'actionpacker' by just picking up a free milk crate in a strip-mall alley.
Excatly, just did mine about 2wks ago.. Mounted to a SW Motech...Diggin' it so far

Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #1671
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr View Post
My milk crates are in the house, I call them bookshelves! Replacements are getting hard to find due to the local scrappers. Any special mods to bolt it to the rear plate?
Special mod: 1/4" drill bit.

Mine is thru-bolted with M6, fender washers, and nylocs.

As a matter of fact, I have 3 of those SE-720's!

__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #1672
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Special mod: 1/4" drill bit.

Mine is thru-bolted with M6, fender washers, and nylocs.

As a matter of fact, I have 3 of those SE-720's!


Yo Chris your Rear HT rack bar is upside down
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #1673
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Yo Chris your Rear HT rack bar is upside down
You know, that f'ing thing bugs the shit outta me. I keep thinking I'd have a custom one made that routed in behind the license plate. HT has it configured for the stock tail and some of mine has been trimmed off.

I did turn it over to try it and it's definitely better, but where it crosses is RIGHT where my plate numbers are. I didn't think mr. leo might like that and I sure as hell don't want to give them any or another reason to stop me.

What to do...what to do...
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #1674
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I hear ya, any pics of the setups?
ASV shorty. Works perfect for a two finger grip. Looks like they make clutch and brake levers for Triumph also.

Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #1675
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
ASV shorty. Works perfect for a two finger grip. Looks like they make clutch and brake levers for Triumph also.


How much if you recall, just curious

They look well made!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #1676
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You know, that f'ing thing bugs the shit outta me. I keep thinking I'd have a custom one made that routed in behind the license plate. HT has it configured for the stock tail and some of mine has been trimmed off.

I did turn it over to try it and it's definitely better, but where it crosses is RIGHT where my plate numbers are. I didn't think mr. leo might like that and I sure as hell don't want to give them any or another reason to stop me.

What to do...what to do...
(Knock on wood)

I haven't had any issues riding around with mine and I live in a heavily policed area...



I wonder if taking it to a welding shop to cut back and weld a cross bar behind the plate would work
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #1677
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
(Knock on wood)

I haven't had any issues riding around with mine and I live in a heavily policed area...



I wonder if taking it to a welding shop to cut back and weld a cross bar behind the plate would work
Of course it would. I guess I need to do that, although the current cross bar works great as a towel bar.

So what's with all the po-po?? At the donut shop??
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #1678
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
How much if you recall, just curious

They look well made!
That one is about 8 years old. IIRC I purchased a referbed one. In the 50 dollar range. New ones are 90-125 each. They are very well made. Check out the site.


http://asvinventions.com/
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #1679
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Of course it would. I guess I need to do that, although the current cross bar works great as a towel bar.

So what's with all the po-po?? At the donut shop??
Looks like the guy in the back swinging his leg over the bike had more than his fair share...
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #1680
blacktiger
Tigers R great.
 
blacktiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: St.Leonards on Sea, England.
Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
It does matter, who wants their rack/frame bent? I'd rather toss a single can than a whole rack. Arent those cans for a scooter btw?!




Looks like your comment "Bike has landed on them and the frames bend before the pannier breaks" is BS....Nice straps gramps


See you know nothing. The strap is stop the lid from coming open as it did once and I lost some tools. It is purely around the pannier and not the frame as well. And if you want to fit them to your scooter you're free to do so. It's a hand size to fit all my tools, tubes, pumps, levers and everything else I might need on the trail.
I meant the pannier frames bend before the panniers break. Not the bike's frame. One of my E36 had my Tiger955 land on it. The pannier got gouged and the pannier frame bent but it all stayed put and I'm still using both.
__________________
2002 black Tiger955i, 72000 miles and counting.
2012 black Tiger800XC, 31000 miles and counting.
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014