User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #2551
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
patching a tube

I have only had one flat on the XC. It was about 200k after installing the new Mitas rear. I was going to take the wheel off and change the tube but I decided to pop the tire off while still on the bike and patch the tube. Worked great and I did not need to do a whole lot of extra work for nothing.
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #2552
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post
I have only had one flat on the XC. It was about 200k after installing the new Mitas rear. I was going to take the wheel off and change the tube but I decided to pop the tire off while still on the bike and patch the tube. Worked great and I did not need to do a whole lot of extra work for nothing.
Now that's a trick. The bead must not have had time to glue itself on eh?
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #2553
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Would be interesting to compare the guts in their two pumps, the moto one and the slime one. The latter is half the cost. Hopefully the former is made a lot better.
I did what you did with a Slime pump. After tossing the plastic cover I had enough room in the zippered container to keep patches, valve stringer/puller, a screw top glue can, and the scuffer/roller tool. Everything I need other than the tube and tire irons. Works great.

In the back of my mind I have visions of installing the pump in the rear section of the bike, under the rack behind the seat. Then, have it plumbed to a fitting where I could attach a hose long enough to reach both tires. The hose would store under the seat and the switch could be installed in the side of the airbox. Someday ...

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #2554
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
In the back of my mind I have visions of installing the pump in the rear section of the bike, under the rack behind the seat. Then, have it plumbed to a fitting where I could attach a hose long enough to reach both tires. The hose would store under the seat and the switch could be installed in the side of the airbox. Someday ...[/QUOTE]

Genius! I've wondered what to do with all that space.
The Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #2555
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I did what you did with a Slime pump. After tossing the plastic cover I had enough room in the zippered container to keep patches, valve stringer/puller, a screw top glue can, and the scuffer/roller tool. Everything I need other than the tube and tire irons. Works great.

In the back of my mind I have visions of installing the pump in the rear section of the bike, under the rack behind the seat. Then, have it plumbed to a fitting where I could attach a hose long enough to reach both tires. The hose would store under the seat and the switch could be installed in the side of the airbox. Someday ...
I've had Slime pumps on the bikes for almost 10 years. I hardwire the power leads to the battery and leave that in an accessible spot and then pull the pump from backpack, tank bag or anywhere else I'm carrying it and then plug and play. That way the leads it comes with will accommodate my bike or anyone's within a couple of metres and can be interchangeable between bikes too. They have limitations but are ideal for what we do. Also have gas as a backup.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #2556
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Also have gas as a backup.
Lay off that fizzy beer mate.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #2557
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Lay off that fizzy beer mate.
No chance BT, I'm in Oz, it was 40 degrees Celcius today, and it's been NYE here already. Now I'm on into some fine Aussie Shiraz wine contemplating where I'm going to ride the Tiger in 2014. Happy NY pal.

"Just having a crack"
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #2558
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
No chance BT, I'm in Oz, it was 40 degrees Celcius today, and it's been NYE here already. Now I'm on into some fine Aussie Shiraz wine contemplating where I'm going to ride the Tiger in 2014. Happy NY pal.
Yeah I saw you were in Oz hence the fizzy beer comment. 40 degrees? Lucky bugger. We're having a lashing down new year in the UK as yet another weather front crosses our shores. I do, however, have the ideal beverage to warm me up. http://www.brewdog.com/product/old-w...imperial-stout

I'm thinking that it might already be new year down under................
Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #2559
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Yeah I saw you were in Oz hence the fizzy beer comment. 40 degrees? Lucky bugger. We're having a lashing down new year in the UK as yet another weather front crosses our shores. I do, however, have the ideal beverage to warm me up. http://www.brewdog.com/product/old-w...imperial-stout

I'm thinking that it might already be new year down under................
Ha, ha, only ice cold beer over here BT....the colder the better. 40C is over 100F and too bloody hot to be doing anything in......but we try.

Just to keep this thread on topic I'm sure you'll enjoy reading about two Tigers that Triumph Australia loaned PBee and myself to take to the iconic Flinders Ranges here in Sth Australia for the Flinders Ranges Classic, where about 100 riders meet up for some fun every year.

The Tigers were set up by TA for an 'around Australia' rally and then were being used by a group doing a documentary about riding around Oz. The bikes had been given a fair hiding and at 40,000 kms (about 25,000 miles) were as tight as drums, besides broken frames etc.

Anyway, we did a ride report about our use of them in the Flinders. You might find it entertaining. At the end of it you'll see how I came to purchase Burren Rider's XC.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878437

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 06:56 PM
Old 12-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #2560
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Just to keep this thread on topic I'm sure you'll enjoy reading about two Tigers that Triumph Australia loaned PBee and myself to take to the iconic Flinders Ranges here in Sth Australia for the Flinders Ranges Classic, where about 100 riders meet up for some fun every year.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878437

Looks like fun out there. You liked the demo so well you bought it? That's pretty cool.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #2561
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Looks like fun out there. You liked the demo so well you bought it? That's pretty cool.
Not quite, but one just like it with lots more farkles.

"Just having a crack"
Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #2562
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
I posted this in the Reference thread, but in case anyone missed it.

I started a Group Buy for a Unifilter pre filter. Just check out the thread and post in there if you are interested. As said in the thread, it is not only for the tigers, i can add any other buy in there but YOU need to send me the link of your filter.

Please pass this on to other NorCal riders if they are interested!

Ride safe!

y0y02369 screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 09:22 AM
y0y02369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #2563
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,590
Quick update on my XC's Karoo 3's

Got my first screw through the rear tire a few weeks ago and hadn't had a chance to change/ repair the tube until yesterday. I know, neglect is abuse

HOLY PHUCK!!! The bead was almost impossible to break with my normal methods. I had poured some soap water into the bead area and let sit for 10-15min. Then I placed the entire weight of the bike's center stand handle directly on the bead....still no break!!! Would have been impossible to remove out in the mesa it seemed.

I almost went down to HF to buy a cheap bead breaker out of sheer frustration!!

I then used the 2x4 trick with my truck but was actually lifting the truck bed throughout the whole process. I should have taken video

Finally popped the bead with me bouncing on the 2x4 and my truck bed resembling a hydraulic show. Changed the tube and now back in the saddle

Anyone have this same issue and what you're using for field repairs?? I've seen several solutions but would like the ADV group opinion.

Thanks All

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #2564
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberlegs View Post

This sounds interesting, you mind clarifying what you used and how you used it?

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #2565
Husker73
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Triumph Tiger 800 XC Crash Bars

Still new to ADV riding, but last week I upgraded from a KLR 650 to a new Tiger 800 XC. Loving it so far. It came from the dealer with the Triumph crash bars, but IMHO I don't think they go up high enough to protect the upper plastic. I have seen picture on this forum that has a higher bar. Can someone help me out with some info about a bar that preferably works with the Triumph bars or with any bar for that matter. Thanks B
Husker73 is offline   Reply With Quote