Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #2581
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest6775 View Post
So I got the dog light kit from pure triumph.com for Christmas and its halogen. I thought I read somewhere they have switched the oem fog lights to led? Anyone know anything about this? I wanna send them back if I can get the led's for the same price. Anyone ever dealt with these guys?
Sorry i really haven't heard anything about this switch but i have the halogens and friggin love them! I made a video of em here.

[QUOTE=Seventy One;23071892]It's my understanding that you got the good ones. Keep 'em.

Apparently the halogens were a little too bright (illegal) for England and so they switched over to the LED's. The people that got the LEDs were pissed because they were so dim. That's when Triumph switched back to Halogens...at least for those of us state side.{/QUOTE]

i really don't see why the would consider them too bright... you can see from the video above that they aim really low... so bright or not, they in no way blind anyone. I personally love these lights! At time i feel like i should add more light but then i realize i just need new eyes instead
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #2582
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
On a 21" front tire standing on it will usually work every time to break the bead.

In my experience stepping on a rear tire with intent to unseat the bead, even with my 240 lbs, only accomplishes raising me off the ground an amount equal to the width of the tire. Further jumping on it seems to evoke giggles and muted laughter from the tire.
Oh ok yeah this may be an issue for me then! I will need to eat way more then to be able to do it!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #2583
ElJefeATX
Morally correct

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Crap. I just ordered one solo. Was still affordable enough at $39 shipped. No biggy. FYI I got a notice that they are closed for the holidays through the 6th, so order processing won't go through until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Today's mods.

2x SWMotech 2L fuel canisters on my Trax side cases.

Do you have to drill the side cases to mount the fuel canisters?

I think it was you looking at mounting a rotopax on the inside of the racks. Was that a bust?
ElJefeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #2584
Forrest6775
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
[QUOTE=y0y02369;23117915]Sorry i really haven't heard anything about this switch but i have the halogens and friggin love them! I made a video of em here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
It's my understanding that you got the good ones. Keep 'em.

Apparently the halogens were a little too bright (illegal) for England and so they switched over to the LED's. The people that got the LEDs were pissed because they were so dim. That's when Triumph switched back to Halogens...at least for those of us state side.{/QUOTE]

i really don't see why the would consider them too bright... you can see from the video above that they aim really low... so bright or not, they in no way blind anyone. I personally love these lights! At time i feel like i should add more light but then i realize i just need new eyes instead
So do they give you more light out to the side? I'm really looking for help spotting deer.
Forrest6775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #2585
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 878
Breaking a bead

KTM guys been doing this a while. Notice the tie down on the front tire to the center stand.

http://www.youtube.com/v/uzgHVjXZwoM
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #2586
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest6775 View Post
So do they give you more light out to the side? I'm really looking for help spotting deer.
Did you watch the video? I would say yeah they light the sides really well! But since they are FOG and not FLOOD lights, they shine right in front of the bike. If you you are looking for flood lights, i'd look into the advmonster.com LEDs. That will most likely be my addition for next fall.

Compare my video to this:

You can see the advmonser lights are MUCH brighter at 3600 lumens but they don't really offer a lot of light to the sides.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #2587
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
KTM guys been doing this a while. Notice the tie down on the front tire to the center stand.

looks like a piece of cake in that video!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #2588
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post

I really should have taken video... Similar setup, the WHOLE weight of bike through the center stand handle teetering on the bead with no break. It was amazingly frustrating. Must be the tire
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #2589
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I really should have taken video... Similar setup, the WHOLE weight of bike through the center stand handle teetering on the bead with no break. It was amazingly frustrating. Must be the tire
I have read of some folks grinding the safety bead holder cast into the wheel so it is flush with the rim at a designated point. Maybe a six or eight inch long section would do it. Then, when it is time to break the bead they know to start there to easily push the tire into the valley without that additional resistance.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #2590
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I was under the impression that the plastic was there to protect the tank. That's why it was never painted, to make replacement that much cheaper.

I use the Triumph bars and have never damaged the bike in a tip over.
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #2591
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post

Do you have to drill the side cases to mount the fuel canisters?

I think it was you looking at mounting a rotopax on the inside of the racks. Was that a bust?
Yes, you have to drill.

I still need to mount a rotopax on the inside of the racks. The Heart of the West ride that I'm doing in Sept will require a 230 mile range... and I don't know if 6 gallons (5 + .5 + .5) will be enough. 7 should be, however. Unlike people who get 50+mpg, I tend to ride much more spirited and get in the 30s most of the time :).
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #2592
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,182
I will be buying my 13 800XC tomorrow. Ofcourse this only means I now own one, but can't ride for three or four more months. Closer to four months. Getting most all of my goodies at POP except cases. Waiting my next assignment to make that decision. Keeping my fingers crossed for picking my new Zega Pros up at the factory!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #2593
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I will be buying my 13 800XC tomorrow. Ofcourse this only means I now own one, but can't ride for three or four more months. Closer to four months. Getting most all of my goodies at POP except cases. Waiting my next assignment to make that decision. Keeping my fingers crossed for picking my new Zega Pros up at the factory!!!

BRRR...I didn't know they had motorcycles in Anchorage.

Pics please, or it didn't happen.

It was about 72 here today, bright and sunny. Took a ride to the beach to help a friend get his husky running. My overpants were too warm. Doing a few hundred miles of double track tomorrow out near Anza Borrego. Our desert riding gets good this time of year.

Post up in the main thread.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #2594
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
BRRR...I didn't know they had motorcycles in Anchorage.

Pics please, or it didn't happen.

It was about 72 here today, bright and sunny. Took a ride to the beach to help a friend get his husky running. My overpants were too warm. Doing a few hundred miles of double track tomorrow out near Anza Borrego. Our desert riding gets good this time of year.

Post up in the main thread.
HAHAHA, When I retire in Granbury TX I will have year round riding. Surprisingly Alaska has the highest per capita registration of motorcycles in the US. You see bikes everywhere, I mean everywhere in the summer. Its a white 2013 I have my eyes on.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #2595
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I have read of some folks grinding the safety bead holder cast into the wheel so it is flush with the rim at a designated point. Maybe a six or eight inch long section would do it. Then, when it is time to break the bead they know to start there to easily push the tire into the valley without that additional resistance.
KTM rims yes, Triumph rims have no such animal. Only thing I've used on my Tiger XC is a BeadBrakR. They appear to be a little more now than when I bought mine.

http://www.aerostich.com/beadbrakr-kit-steel-kit.html
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote