Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #301
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I was noticing around the interwebz that there are quite a number of 800 roadie owners that add the beak from the XC. I like the beakless look. I've only had my XC a few days, and I'm wondering what purpose the beak serves. If it doesn't serve a purpose (like actually protecting something from mud/debris), I'd kinda like to go the other way and go beakless. Any thoughts on this?

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #302
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I've only had my XC a few days, and I'm wondering what purpose the beak serves.
I pisses off the boys at BMW, who for some reason think that they invented the concept.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #303
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
Good enough for me. Now to see how to put a beak on my 955i. I follow this thread because I want an 800xc parked next to the girlie.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #304
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It pisses off the boys at BMW, who for some reason think that they invented the concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Good enough for me. Now to see how to put a beak on my 955i. I follow this thread because I want an 800xc parked next to the girlie.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #305
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I was noticing around the interwebz that there are quite a number of 800 roadie owners that add the beak from the XC. I like the beakless look. I've only had my XC a few days, and I'm wondering what purpose the beak serves. If it doesn't serve a purpose (like actually protecting something from mud/debris), I'd kinda like to go the other way and go beakless. Any thoughts on this?
it definitely keeps the mud/dirt/sand/rocks off the headlight and from flying up in your face. go get your bike real dirty and look under the beak...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #306
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 604
Riser rec

Ok, I've got 400 miles on the clock of the new XC and have a question. Is there a consensus on the best handlebar risers for the XC (obviously to the extent consensus is possible on advrider )?

Coming from an 1150GS Adventure, I notice that the Tiger XC has a slight forward lean, even with the seat lowered to the lowest setting. I need to add a little height/rear slope to the bars to get the angle in my elbows that's "familiar" to someone having clocked 60k+ miles on a fat pig.

Thanks in advance for advice!

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #307
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
Ok, I've got 400 miles on the clock of the new XC and have a question. Is there a consensus on the best handlebar risers for the XC (obviously to the extent consensus is possible on advrider )?

Coming from an 1150GS Adventure, I notice that the Tiger XC has a slight forward lean, even with the seat lowered to the lowest setting. I need to add a little height/rear slope to the bars to get the angle in my elbows that's "familiar" to someone having clocked 60k+ miles on a fat pig.

Thanks in advance for advice!
I put the Rox 2" anti-vibration risers on my new 800XC and am thrilled with them. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Highly recommended.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #308
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
I put the Rox 2" anti-vibration risers on my new 800XC and am thrilled with them. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Highly recommended.
With the Rox risers will I need to get new brake and clutch cables?

TIA,
James
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #309
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I recently added 2" Rox risers.... No need for longer cables and they improved my rider comfort dramatically!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #310
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Highly recommended.

Thanks for the rec - any suggestions on where to buy?

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #311
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
Thanks for the rec - any suggestions on where to buy?
I've found amazon is generally the cheapest on the rox risers. Google it or try the link below.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005UG...6&pf_rd_t=1201

yukonjon screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 04:42 PM
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #312
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
I am not happy with the stock seat. My ass digs into the rear pillion seat after a couple of hours on the road.

The Corbin seat is a one piece seat and it looks like the rider portion sits back further than the stock seat.
Do any of you have any experience with the Corbin seat on the 800? The Corbin's I have "test sat" on friends bikes (not Tigers) seemed hard.

I like the idea of the one piece seat.

I've got Corbin's on 3 of my 4 bikes and think they are great. Put one on my tiger about 2500 miles ago. At first glance it does feel hard, like all Corbin's. There is a slight break in period where it will adapt to your rear end. Then it becomes one of the most comfortable seats used. The newer Corbin's are starting to use a softer padding on the top portion instead of just being hard all the time.

As for the Corbin on my tiger I am very pleased with it. The riders area sits slightly back and a little dished out. If your shorter this could maybe be a problem reaching the bars. I used touratech risers and rolled my bars a little to compensate. The design of the seat also prevents me from sliding forward during hard braking. I don't have any issues offroad with it and while stopping the front is skinny enough to still easily put my foot down. Very nice on long cruises.

I like the one piece design as well. It's a tight fit, but flush all around. I like being able to use my key to lift the whole seat up. It is definitely heavier though. Weighs in about 25 lbs I believe. I don't notice but I'm sure some claim to.

Can't tell you about the passenger area as I don't ride with one. Built the same and looks good though. Also a place for a backrest if desired. Overall I really like it. Nice to be able to do 500+ days with no soreness.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #313
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonjon View Post
I've found amazon is generally the cheapest on the rox risers. Google it or try the link below. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007KF...sr=8-2&pi=SL75
That link takes me to a 32GB memory card.... :what:
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #314
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
That link takes me to a 32GB memory card.... :what:
Amazon is more expensive with tax than getting them tax free from Rox for me.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #315
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonjon View Post
I've got Corbin's on 3 of my 4 bikes and think they are great. Put one on my tiger about 2500 miles ago. At first glance it does feel hard, like all Corbin's. There is a slight break in period where it will adapt to your rear end. Then it becomes one of the most comfortable seats used. The newer Corbin's are starting to use a softer padding on the top portion instead of just being hard all the time.

As for the Corbin on my tiger I am very pleased with it. The riders area sits slightly back and a little dished out. If your shorter this could maybe be a problem reaching the bars. I used touratech risers and rolled my bars a little to compensate. The design of the seat also prevents me from sliding forward during hard braking. I don't have any issues offroad with it and while stopping the front is skinny enough to still easily put my foot down. Very nice on long cruises.

I like the one piece design as well. It's a tight fit, but flush all around. I like being able to use my key to lift the whole seat up. It is definitely heavier though. Weighs in about 25 lbs I believe. I don't notice but I'm sure some claim to.

Can't tell you about the passenger area as I don't ride with one. Built the same and looks good though. Also a place for a backrest if desired. Overall I really like it. Nice to be able to do 500+ days with no soreness.
Hey Yukon,
I'm a big guy. 6'2" 280 lbs.
I want to make sure the "butt rest" for the rider is truly more rearward than the stock seat so as to accomodate my larger than average can. I need it to be more rearward by about 2".
I already have the Rox 2" bar risers.