ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #3181
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 2,058
I'm just going to mount Touratech 3l fuel cans to the back of Happy Trail cans later this year. Right now just going to rely on the tanks.
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #3182
jpr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
Anyone seen any raising links. I want to use the incidental effect of stiffening the spring rate when links are fitted to raise the bike, plus I will get an extra inch+- of ride clearance.
This same company has raising links.
http://www.projection-components.co....kits-214-p.asp
__________________
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
'03 Triumph Speed Four
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #3183
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
The Haymaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cowtipping, USA
Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
This same company has raising links.
http://www.projection-components.co....kits-214-p.asp
What do these do with an already odd geometry in the chain tension department?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
__________________
Haymaker who?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:05 AM   #3184
boinoodle
Old and Cautious
 
boinoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Dark Side
Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Haymaker View Post
What do these do with an already odd geometry in the chain tension department?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
I raised my bike with Soupy's raising links a little more than an inch, I had more than enough adjustment in the rear wheel to get correct chain tension
__________________


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
.
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #3185
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
The Haymaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cowtipping, USA
Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I raised my bike with Soupy's raising links a little more than an inch, I had more than enough adjustment in the rear wheel to get correct chain tension
Reason I ask is this bike wants a LOT of slack so things don't over tighten when axle, pivot, and cs are in line, only bike I've had that was worse is my KTM. Does this require even more slack?

The chain slap on this thing is annoying, bumps and low rpm. I let a friend ride it and first thing he said was "that kickstand banging would drive me nuts. "

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
__________________
Haymaker who?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #3186
boinoodle
Old and Cautious
 
boinoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Dark Side
Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Haymaker View Post
Reason I ask is this bike wants a LOT of slack so things don't over tighten when axle, pivot, and cs are in line, only bike I've had that was worse is my KTM. Does this require even more slack?

The chain slap on this thing is annoying, bumps and low rpm. I let a friend ride it and first thing he said was "that kickstand banging would drive me nuts. "

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
I haven't noticed needing more than the recommended slack. Not much we can do about the slap
__________________


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
.
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #3187
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GearHd6's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Ashford, CT
Oddometer: 159
There is a cure for the slap. My Roadie did the same thing. I have since cured it.
__________________
2011 Tiger 800
2004 CRF250X
1998 Daytona
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #3188
boinoodle
Old and Cautious
 
boinoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Dark Side
Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
There is a cure for the slap. My Roadie did the same thing. I have since cured it.
What's that, don't ride it off road?
__________________


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
.
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #3189
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GearHd6's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Ashford, CT
Oddometer: 159
I didn't even have to ride mine off road to make that horrendous noise, hit a sharp bump and it banged like it was falling apart. Take it on a rough dirt road and it was ready to launch it into the woods. I have taken it out a few times now since the mod and haven't heard the noise once yet. I'm not flying it through the air though like some of you guys might be.
__________________
2011 Tiger 800
2004 CRF250X
1998 Daytona
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #3190
boinoodle
Old and Cautious
 
boinoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Dark Side
Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
I didn't even have to ride mine off road to make that horrendous noise, hit a sharp bump and it banged like it was falling apart. Take it on a rough dirt road and it was ready to launch it into the woods. I have taken it out a few times now since the mod and haven't heard the noise once yet. I'm not flying it through the air though like some of you guys might be.
Did you document the mod? I can't find it.
__________________


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
.
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #3191
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GearHd6's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Ashford, CT
Oddometer: 159
Nah, I didn't document it. It seems like a crazy fix but I think the noise was the hard plastic guide smacking off the swingarm.

I used a piece of this stuff about 8"-9" long. The stuff I used was 3/8" wide but I think I'd try something 1/2"-3/4" wide if I were going to the store to buy it. This stuff I already had on hand.


Next I removed the chain guide attaching bolt and pried the guide down, wiped out the dirt and cleaned the guide best I could so the adhesive would stick. Then I stuck the foam to the inside/bottom of the chain guide. You can just barely see the white between the guide and the swingarm.
__________________
2011 Tiger 800
2004 CRF250X
1998 Daytona
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #3192
boinoodle
Old and Cautious
 
boinoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: The Dark Side
Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Nah, I didn't document it. It seems like a crazy fix but I think the noise was the hard plastic guide smacking off the swingarm.

I used a piece of this stuff about 8"-9" long. The stuff I used was 3/8" wide but I think I'd try something 1/2"-3/4" wide if I were going to the store to buy it. This stuff I already had on hand.


Next I removed the chain guide attaching bolt and pried the guide down, wiped out the dirt and cleaned the guide best I could so the adhesive would stick. Then I stuck the foam to the inside/bottom of the chain guide. You can just barely see the white between the guide and the swingarm.
That's brilliant, I'll have to check it out before next ride.
__________________


Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
.
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #3193
snakebitten
Small Town Hick
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Coastal Texas
Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Nah, I didn't document it. It seems like a crazy fix but I think the noise was the hard plastic guide smacking off the swingarm.

I used a piece of this stuff about 8"-9" long. The stuff I used was 3/8" wide but I think I'd try something 1/2"-3/4" wide if I were going to the store to buy it. This stuff I already had on hand.





Next I removed the chain guide attaching bolt and pried the guide down, wiped out the dirt and cleaned the guide best I could so the adhesive would stick. Then I stuck the foam to the inside/bottom of the chain guide. You can just barely see the white between the guide and the swingarm.


Clever indeed.
__________________
**********************
XT1200Z BIGGEST Dirt Bike in the world
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #3194
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
Nah, I didn't document it. It seems like a crazy fix but I think the noise was the hard plastic guide smacking off the swingarm.

I used a piece of this stuff about 8"-9" long. The stuff I used was 3/8" wide but I think I'd try something 1/2"-3/4" wide if I were going to the store to buy it. This stuff I already had on hand.


Next I removed the chain guide attaching bolt and pried the guide down, wiped out the dirt and cleaned the guide best I could so the adhesive would stick. Then I stuck the foam to the inside/bottom of the chain guide. You can just barely see the white between the guide and the swingarm.
Not a crazy fix at all. This is a recommended repair procedure by many car makers. You would be surprised how much of this stuff is used on a car dashboard.

Bood job!
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #3195
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,537
It's not the guide.

I swapped bikes with my Dad on a washboard road and watched for any contact on my XC's suspension/ Center stand/ guide/ etc and chain does not contact the swingarm during the clank.

Take another ride and see that the clank does not happen when the throttle is closed only when open. What you're hearing is the excess slack getting yanked during swingarm movement.

Properly set your rear shock per the manual and check back

Hope this helps.

Aaron
__________________
Life is short, talk is cheap...so fu%^ what people say
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014