Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #3286
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
So its helping to shift "sprung" weight for improved cornering?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
This sounds like a perfect question for the Art of Cornering guru Keith Code.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #3287
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,001
Today's 10 minute mod.

I don't like my GPS to be on switched power because if I shut off the bike to wait up for friends, I don't want my GPS to shut off.

The Zumo had one advantage over the Montana - the Zumo would not charge while in the motorcycle mount if it was turned off.

To prevent even the possibility of my GPS draining my motorcycle's battery (a low chance, I know), I would remove the GPS from the mount when I parked my bike in my garage. I'd sit it on a shelf.. or on the seat of the moto... and inevitably move it when I needed something... and misplace it for a few minutes...

Anyway. All better now. Just installed a little switch on the right side of the bike (easily accessible while on the bike) that lets me shut off power to the GPS when I park in my garage.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #3288
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Today's 10 minute mod.

I don't like my GPS to be on switched power because if I shut off the bike to wait up for friends, I don't want my GPS to shut off.

The Zumo had one advantage over the Montana - the Zumo would not charge while in the motorcycle mount if it was turned off.

To prevent even the possibility of my GPS draining my motorcycle's battery (a low chance, I know), I would remove the GPS from the mount when I parked my bike in my garage. I'd sit it on a shelf.. or on the seat of the moto... and inevitably move it when I needed something... and misplace it for a few minutes...

Anyway. All better now. Just installed a little switch on the right side of the bike (easily accessible while on the bike) that lets me shut off power to the GPS when I park in my garage.
Sweet, I just ordered the same switch but lighted red so I can see when it's on.

Next up is a relay so I can install a louder horn.

A few weeks ago I moved the tip sensor to the back of the bike to make more room for tubes and what not. So far it's working fine so it's time to cut out the lock and sensor mount plastic

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #3289
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Sweet, I just ordered the same switch but lighted red so I can see when it's on.

Next up is a relay so I can install a louder horn.

A few weeks ago I moved the tip sensor to the back of the bike to make more room for tubes and what not. So far it's working fine so it's time to cut out the lock and sensor mount plastic

Could you post up what you end up with for the horn relay and horn? I really want to do that upgrade too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
y0y02369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #3290
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,018
Motorcycle Consumer News just did a horn comparo and found one that did not need a relay and was over 110 dbs. If I can find it I'll post up which one it was. It was only like 25 bucks on amazon.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #3291
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Motorcycle Consumer News just did a horn comparo and found one that did not need a relay and was over 110 dbs. If I can find it I'll post up which one it was. It was only like 25 bucks on amazon.

Sweet thank you!

Does anyone know the OEM decibel level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
y0y02369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #3292
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Not much.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #3293
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
I just put a bad boy airhorn on mine. Sounds great. And loud. Came with a relay. Fits right under the beak. 40 bucks at northern. 20 on eBay
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #3294
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
I just put a bad boy airhorn on mine. Sounds great. And loud. Came with a relay. Fits right under the beak. 40 bucks at northern. 20 on eBay
Is that the "all in one" design? How about some pictures?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #3295
Solohobo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Does anyone have an issue with the drilling out the plug hole on the side of the bike, without sealing it? This area under the seat is all the electric connections and also the air box intake....??? would it not be better to put an aux plug elsewhere than having a hole in this delicate area of the bike?
Adventure Travel to Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, China, Honk Kong, Macau, France, Italy, EU, Morocco, Turkey, USA National Parks, camping, fishing, hiking, surfing, scuba diving, trekking, river rafting, new cultures, new cuisine, new languages.
Solohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 AM   #3296
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solohobo View Post
Does anyone have an issue with the drilling out the plug hole on the side of the bike, without sealing it? This area under the seat is all the electric connections and also the air box intake....??? would it not be better to put an aux plug elsewhere than having a hole in this delicate area of the bike?
Unless you hit the area with a pressure washer, it should be fine. It's not in a position to have water forced at it.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #3297
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solohobo View Post
Consider that the factory put a similar hole on the box for a Powerlet option. Keeping it sealed is probably not that big of a concern.

Well, unless you are riding in water that deep. Then you probably have bigger concerns than water getting in through an unsealed accessory installed in the side of the box.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #3298
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,523
Solohobo, have you noticed the giant opening allowing all your chain lube to coat that same area? It's like a bucket with holes in both ends. I don't see how adding another small hole on the side of that bucket will make any difference.
I put duct tape under my prefilter to prevent it from filling up with chain lube.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #3299
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
I'd like to hear your review of it a year from now.

Durability is pretty important too.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #3300
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
Just picked up my 13 XC. Got the top case as promo. Can someone please explain the sliding carrier and what's the point of the sliding?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I picked up my '14 last week. Had a moment when I first touched the boxes and they shifted. Service guy said the same thing, it's for shifting weight, wind, and some "give" for when you drop it. Dunno about the last part, but for the most part I haven't noticed too much of an issue so far.